Bohemians/Czech's in Willow Springs 100 years ago?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bohemians/Czech's in Willow Springs 100 years ago?
Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 01:33PM

You are right Bruce. This has been an interesting thread to say the least. It's Willow Springs......not it isn't, it's Cermak Rd........No it's Willow Springs......not it isn't........YES IT IS!.......It's not Willow Springs, it's Western Springs...........gheeesh.....

Bruce, YOU are the one that unraveled the mystery for me, thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2011 10:41PM

I wish I could have gotten a copy of that postcard. I wonder who bought it for over 70 bucks.

Here is another view looking Southwest toward Willow Springs Road and Archer.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 02:45AM

VERY COOL Bruce! I KNEW I remembered seeing another view of that building. The one you posted looks like it may be a slightly later view. The signs on Zenk's Hotel look newer and crisper in the image I posted. When was yours postmarked?

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 03:00AM

That image is from 1908. It seems the postcard man came through our towns out here and took many images of scenes along Archer because I have more from the same company from Summit. By the way, The poster seen to the right "The Traveling Salesman" was a Broadway play produced by Henry B. Harris who died on Titanic.

Bruce

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 03:26AM

Here is another one from around the same era that I just ran across.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2011 10:50AM

guys, I'm not real familiar with this area, is this the view today? from what I've read in previous posts I think this is it.

<iframe width="700" height="394" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.732226,-87.876788&amp;panoid=OvDUtdlxrXvuC0ZWpxdz6w&amp;cbp=13,321.88,,0,5&amp;source=embed&amp;ll=41.732228,-87.876774&amp;spn=0,0.00751&amp;z=17&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.732226,-87.876788&amp;panoid=OvDUtdlxrXvuC0ZWpxdz6w&amp;cbp=13,321.88,,0,5&amp;source=embed&amp;ll=41.732228,-87.876774&amp;spn=0,0.00751&amp;z=17" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I'm trying to get my bearing straight, thanks Bruce for those cool postcards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 10:53AM by 222psm.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 12:04PM

Yes that is it. The opening in the curb to enter the small parking lot for the real estate office in the modern picture is the same spot as the opening in the curb between the advertisement board and Zenk's store to the right in the old picture.

Bruce

AD:

Date: February 15, 2011 02:47PM

VERY cool images Bruce! Thanks again for posting them!

AD:

Posted by: Patti (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 16, 2011 08:19PM

Thanks, Berwyn Frank and Bruce, very nice to see the postcards.

I used to go over the bridge on Willow Springs Rd. almost daily and although it's been over Fifteen years ago, back then there was a building that was like a boarding house that I think might have been the Zenk's building. From the side it looks like it anyway.

We had some Bohemian relatives that lived in Willow Springs from the early 1900s and into the 40s.

AD:

Posted by: chevyliddle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2011 09:42PM

You are right Bruce. This has been an interesting thread to say the least. It's Willow Springs......not it isn't, it's Cermak Rd........No it's Willow Springs......not it isn't........YES IT IS!.......It's not Willow Springs, it's Western Springs...........gheeesh.....

Your comprehension is a little lacking. I never said it was in Western Springs...I said people were confusing the area around Ogden Ave. with Willow Springs when it is actually Western Springs. The northern border of Willow Springs is several miles south of Ogden Ave. The building in question is definitely in Willow Springs but some people seemed to be confused regarding the village's location and had it confused with Western Springs.

AD:

Date: February 21, 2012 11:00PM

I found this obituary while browsing a local news site. 97 year old John Zenk from Willow Springs just died.

http://www.themarknewsonline.info/obituaries/3962-zenk-john-f-97.html

Zenk, John F. - 97
Obituaries - Obituaries
Written by Sandra Anderson
Monday, 20 February 2012 15:41

John F. Zenk, born August 14, 1914 in Willow Springs, IL, WWII Army Air Corp. Veteran, age 97 of Glen Ellyn, formerly of Broadview. Beloved husband of Dorothy E. Zenk, nee Wood; John was preceded in death by one brother and three sisters; uncle of Jinger and Jami. Visitation Thursday, February 23, 2012 from 10 A.M. to time of Service 12 Noon at Hitzeman Funeral Home, Ltd. 9445 W. 31st Street, Brookfield. Interment Fairmount Willow Hills Memorial Park, Willow Springs, IL. John was a journeyman machinist who loved music and traveling. Information 708-485-2000 or www.HitzemanFuneral.com

AD:

Date: February 22, 2012 09:43AM

Thanks for the post. That must have been John Jr. I wish I knew about him, because I know he could have answered questions I had. Espeacially about my church because his family dates back to the 1800 as members.

Bruce

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact