Wieboldt's

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Wieboldt's
Posted by: Jazzman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 03:29PM

My Mom worked at Wieboldts in Gift Wrapping -- early 1960s at Harlem Irving and Later at the Oak Park / River Forest Store

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: October 26, 2012 01:18PM

I also remember Wieboldts. Our local store was the one at Harlem Irving, but my grandmother often went to the one at Harlem and Lake so she could also visit the Marshall Field & Co. store across the street. I often sat out in the car with my grandfather, listening to The Texaco Opera of the Air, with Milton Cross narrating.
My parents, however, preferred the Harlem Irving location, and the one thing I cannot forget about Wieboldts is the pound cake they used to sell in their food department, which was located in a little annex to the main store, right around the "bend" in the old mall. I have never found anything like it since.
A little sidenote about the Wieboldt family...the Wieboldts were very generous with charities, and donated a lot of money to various universities and charitible institutions in the area. For years, I have always found cemeteries interesting, and often searched for the grave of William A. Wieboldt who founded the company. I expected to find an impressive grave like the monuments of Marshall Field in Graceland, or the Carsons of Carson Pirie Scott in Rosehill, but was really taken aback when I found William Wieboldts grave, marked with just a modest monument, along the fence at Wunders Cemetery on Clark Street. When you visit the Chicago Historical Society website, a letter he wrote back home to Germany as a young man is featured describing the Chicago Fire. Both William and his wife Anna lived to ripe old ages, both living to around 100 years old.

In reference to Steinberg Baum, there were two locations on the northwest side of Chicago that I remember. The first was on the 3400 block of N. Cicero Avenue, where the US Post Office is now located, and they also had a location on Grand Avenue and 72nd Court, across the street from Goldblatt's, where the Caputo's is now located.

AD:

Posted by: bigjohn56 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 07:43PM

The Wieboldt's at Ogden and Ashland was also converted to lofts. They added two stories onto the building and there are over 200 one and two bedroom loft condos.

The first floor is retail. After conversion the main tenant was Staples but they closed the store several years ago and it is still vacant.

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (75.115.202.---)
Date: October 14, 2013 03:49PM

My first job: 1955-56? I'll have to check my Social Security beginning.

I lived at 55th and Halsted.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 02:39PM

my buddy Dave worked as a bagger in the grocery dept of Weiboldt's on Milwaukee & paulina, mid-'60s. I shopped frequently at the state st Weiboldt's in the '70s for a couple reasons, one my dear Dad introduced me to, he'd buy the absolute lowest-priced silk neckties down in their bargain basement there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 06:43PM by the_mogra.

AD:

Posted by: phunny bunny (104.129.196.---)
Date: April 16, 2015 02:18PM

I can remember my mother taking me to Wieboldt's on 63rd & Halsted. Just one bus for us. In the summer, I can remember the doors to the fire escapes being left open, and the noise from the El trains. Most of all, I remember the apple slices in the basement cafeteria...no trip was complete for my mother without a coffee, and maybe a sweet.

Enjoy your day.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 04:20AM

The Cuputo's at 72nd Ct and Grand Ave in Elmwood Park was once a Circuit City.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 12:59PM

u

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: February 01, 2016 04:52PM

btt

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-97.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2016 03:30AM

phunny bunny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can remember my mother taking me to Wieboldt's
> on 63rd & Halsted. Just one bus for us. In the
> summer, I can remember the doors to the fire
> escapes being left open, and the noise from the El
> trains. Most of all, I remember the apple slices
> in the basement cafeteria...no trip was complete
> for my mother without a coffee, and maybe a
> sweet.
>
> Enjoy your day.

My mom shopped there, too. Bought her first set of pink Melmac dinner plates.

AD:

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact