Parking Garages

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Parking Garages
Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 02:18PM

Does anyone remember a parking garage which I am pretty sure was right across from City Hall? To park, you drove in and an attendant would take the car and drive into an open cage elevator that would transport the car to an upper level. One time we got to ride in the elevator with the attendant as our car wouldn't start and my dad had to go up and help him get it started. Probably was against all kinds of safety regulations to have us do that, but I always remembered it. I loved to watch them work those elevators.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Parking Garages
Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 02:09AM

I remember an elevator garage in the loop but I can't remember if it was across from City Hall. There was another one in the Rush Street area,around Rush and Delaware, a southeast corner but I may have the wrong cross street.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Re: Parking Garages
Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 17, 2015 01:48PM

the city parking garage @ rush & delaware was at the SE corner, 4 or 5 stores, and somewhere there must be a whole discussion topic & thread devoted to it. I remember looking into that garage as a a kid in the early '60s and watching how the car parking mechanisms traveled both laterally & vertically

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact