motel cabins on SW highway

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
motel cabins on SW highway
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2010 11:02PM

Does anyone remember where the motel cabins were on sw highway between cicero and western on the south side of the street? It was a motel but it had individual cabins .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 11:04PM by Richard Stachowski.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: motel cabins on SW highway
Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 12:23AM

What time frame are you talking about? I can't picture anywhere along there where there could have been motel cabins.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 15, 2010 04:04PM

between cicero and western is a pretty long stretch. i grew up a block from cicero on sw hwy in oak lawn - i don't remember anything or the remains of such a place, at least not in MY time, i'm only 41. i would have noticed, because i notice things like that.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 04:50PM

that must have been a long, long time ago....I know there was a motel near the intersection of SW Highway and 95th St that was destroyed in the 67' tornado...but that's way west of Cicero

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 15, 2010 05:37PM

looked at aerials from '38 and '51, i figure that's a safe date to assume they'd still be standing, considering cabin style motels date from the 20s-40's. followed sw hwy from cicero up to western, didn't see anything that looked like separate little cabins.

AD:

Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: February 15, 2010 06:30PM

From Historic66.com

Wishing Well Motel on Joliet Road at Brainard Ave., built in 1941. Originally built as 10 cabins, later converted into one building with 19 rooms. There actually is a well in the yard of the motel. Address: 6305 S Brainard Ave.

AD:

Date: February 16, 2010 04:55PM

They were there in late 60's and early 70's i'm sure.

AD:

Date: February 16, 2010 07:15PM

[b]I think they were on southwest high way just west of Pulaski. There was a Chinees resturant ther after that I think but not sure, There are cars on that lot now. That would be Hometown. I thought I saw it on some old aeriel views but they were not that clear.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 08:43PM

That area just west of Pulaski next to where the Chinese Restaurant was and is still houses that back up against the railroad tracks. There is the one strip of duplex housing that faces a frontage road which is directly parallel to SW Highway. My cousin lived in the first one west of the restaurant . They bought it when it was built in the mid-1950s. From there they moved to the Scottsdale neighborhood when that house was built in 1957.
I think it's more likely that you may be thinking of that motel at 95th and SW Highway - no?

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2010 03:28AM

the Chinese restaurant building had been there since the mid or late 50's...along with the homes just west of it along SW highway...

Now whether or not the Chinese restaurant building was a motel is hard to say, however I didn't see any cabin like structures surrounding it...going back to aerial views of the 60's and 70's

the building that houses Ghosein Auto Repair, (just to the east of the former Chinese place), has been there since the 50's for sure...and aerial views from the 60's and 70's show other buildings adjacent and to the east. Whether or not those buildings were cabins is anyones guess, but it seems kind of unlikely.

AD:

Date: February 17, 2010 01:22PM

That may not be the spot then because the cabins were there in 1968.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact