Lincoln Ave German District

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lincoln Ave German District
Posted by: querencia (---.c3-0.snb-ubr1.chi-snb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: July 30, 2012 02:42AM

My neighbor owns a book on Chicago's cemeteries---title is something like Graveyards of Chicago---that says German Catholics did not want to be buried with Irish Catholics so St Boniface Cemetery (Clark & Lawrence) was begun as a strictly German cemetery.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: August 09, 2012 12:55AM

querencia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My neighbor owns a book on Chicago's
> cemeteries---title is something like Graveyards of
> Chicago---that says German Catholics did not want
> to be buried with Irish Catholics so St Boniface
> Cemetery (Clark & Lawrence) was begun as a
> strictly German cemetery.

That's a good book, definitely worth picking up on Amazon.

Re: St. Boniface - my not-German grandmother is buried there, and the story in the family is that the cemetery management wasn't too keen on it (this was in 1965).

AD:

Posted by: Bette Page (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2014 10:06PM

Well, as someone with ancestors at St. Bon - Germans were not allowed in the other grounds (Graceland and Rosehill, and the now moved North Ave) and had to start their own. Of course once the city grew around it, space became scarce and they reserved it for their family members. They are both full now and you can only be buried in an existing family plot.

AD:

Re: Lincoln Ave (and lower) German District
Posted by: Bette Page (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2014 10:21PM

My family grew up in th orignal Gemantown Near St Michael's in old town. They had a townhouse on the Larrabee-clybourn-Division triangle next to the Isham YMCA. Post WWII, the Irish-Daly political machine made a concerted effort to remove any white ethnic enclaves they couldn't control. They used Emminent Domain to condemn entire neighborhoods and my grandparents' of old town was one of them. (Little Italy and Greektown were others. The Polish voted with Daley so their corridors were left alone.) He built Cabrini Green right across the street. As my mother and aunts grew and married, they had to move to the north side or the western suburbs as there were no more neighborhood to buy into.

Most of the places mentioned here were still around in 1985, as I took my last Ravenswood L ride before my job took me to the coast. They had torn down the Isham Y and were starting on Grandma's house (now burned out.)

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact