Open Pantry

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Open Pantry
Posted by: didi (---.neiu.edu)
Date: November 30, 2007 10:15PM

In the Odds and Ends section under "THE MORE THINGS CHANGE...:" there is a picture of a laundrymat and didn't see any mention of its previous incarnation. Lots of examples of that building still exist and they all belonged at one point to the conveniance store chain open pantry. I have a few photos of buildings similar to that one and was curious last year so that is how I was able to find out about it. Open Pantry was bought out either in the 60s or 70s by 7-11 however very few of buildings that still remain are 7-11s.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Open Pantry
Posted by: Serhii (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2007 03:19AM

I've seen others around, but I never realized they were a chain. Should have figured. You should do a post on your blog about these buildings.

There used to be one on Belmont and Oakley, northeast corner, that had the cheapest beer around. Then it got condozed. Do you have this location on your list?

AD:

Posted by: didi (---.neiu.edu)
Date: December 01, 2007 03:57PM

Yea, I had started to notice these buildings about a couple of years ago and wondered what they had been previously. I knew it had to be a chain, just did not know which one. I started taking a few photos of some and I took a photo of the one on Belmont and Oakley last year (Is that gone already???) and a few others for the intention of putting it on my blog. Will do so in the near future. I have to look at what I do have and go around and get some more. I found out through newspaper archives that they had been Open Pantry and had printed out an ad with a list of locations so that will help.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 03:45AM

Used to walk to the OP at Central and Grace [3800n] to get milk. Turned 7-11 in 1971, and then moved. Now is doc office, but can still see a few of them around area, and some still re-use the oval signs,

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 07:24PM

Hey one day we'll be saying this about white hen's.

AD:

Re: White Hens
Date: March 08, 2008 06:58AM

Tons of old White Hens are now re-branded' to 7-11 or a 'Joe's Pantry'.
Some White Hen's are staying, since they are close to a previous 7-11, so they can 'corner the market'. [7-11 owns them now, btw]

I see Circle K's, which are all over the Southwest, are popping up in Shell stations. Maybe more to come?

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 (76.29.96.---)
Date: April 08, 2008 04:36AM

Someone once told me the first Open Pantry was the one on 95th St. Just east of the Beverly Theater on the opposite side of the street. I never did confirm. I remember when they opened wondering what the hell anyone would need from the store at 11:00 pm?????

AD:

Posted by: sevinuv9 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 11:08PM

I worked at an Open Pantry on Armitage and Monticello when I was 14. I think our biggest selling items were cigarettes and Boone's Farm. It was a pretty cool little general store, though.

AD:

Posted by: Johnny Chicago (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2009 11:22PM

I recall an Open Pantry on the SE corner of Montrose and Hamlin. Was still an independent convenience store last time I was past there.

AD:

Posted by: pkmirish (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 10:09PM

I also once worked at the Open Pantry at Armitage and Monticello...Sevinof9 is my sister. An interesting fact she didn't mention is that one of the store managers probably saved our youngest brother's life. Our brother was injured and bleeding as a result of a gang attack/robbery. As he was staggering down the street trying to get home,the store manager, who was driving to work, saw him and took him to the hospital. That area was (and still is) one tough neighborhood.

AD:

Posted by: Way Back (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 01:33AM

There was an Open Pantry on Belmont a few blocks east of Western.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 15, 2014 11:17PM

There was a Open Pantry on Fullerton just west of Cicero Ave. for many years.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2014 05:38PM

There are a few Open Panty stores left in Wisconsin I believe.

AD:

Date: December 15, 2014 02:44AM

We used to go to Open Pantry Central and Grace St, and 7-11 took over in 1971. But some kids still called it the 'Pantry'. Got slurpees for dessert most days in summer.

AD:

Posted by: Savruk (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 04:48PM

There was an OP a few blocks west of Central Avenue on Fullerton.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact