Corner Grocery Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Corner Grocery Stores
Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 09:23PM

> tseals Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was in the old neighborhood (California &
> > Montrose) today and trying to remember the old
> > haunts.
> > Kaufman's Bagels &
> > Ada's delicatessen. The N/E corner of Kedzie &
> > montrose was a drug store. The National T
> grocery
> > store on S/e corner of Kedzie & Montrose.
>
> Was that area primarily Jewish at one point?
> > school & Parish.

From about 1900 through the sixties, Albany Park was a major Jewish community and had many Jewish institutions and businesses. In the sixties many of the Jewish families left for the suburbs and the businesses closed down or relocated. But the area was adjacent to North Park, an area with a large Swedish population, so if you grew up in that area, as I did, most of the kids you knew were either Swedish or Jewish...an unlikely combination.

http://francesarcher.com

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 10:17PM

There was a good Polish bakery on the NW corner.

AD:

Posted by: LPLT (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 07:59PM

We used to go to a little corner grocery store at Milwaukee and Wisner. During the Big Snowstorm of 1967, we stopped at a corner store at Central Park and Diversey to buy supplies. Not sure why we didn't go somewhere closer.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 10:11PM

FranCarmen Wrote:

> From about 1900 through the sixties, Albany Park
> was a major Jewish community and had many Jewish
> institutions and businesses. In the sixties many
> of the Jewish families left for the suburbs and
> the businesses closed down or relocated.

Are there any remnants or architectural reminders of any of
those Jewish institutions and businesses??

Where was Kaufman's Deli? Is the Kaufman's Deli on Dempster
near the Skokie Swift in Skokie a descendant of the original?

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 01:56AM

captain54 Wrote:

>
> Are there any remnants or architectural reminders
> of any of
> those Jewish institutions and businesses??
>
> Where was Kaufman's Deli? Is the Kaufman's Deli
> on Dempster
> near the Skokie Swift in Skokie a descendant of
> the original?

There are tons of remnants. The Jewish Home for the Blind is still located in Albany Park, on Foster and Kimball. Most of the Jewish synagogues are still in use, converted to churches. There are two good sources for seeing photos of these synagogues. One is Robb Packer's book, [i][url=http://bit.ly/doj0RD]Doors of Redemption[/url][/i]. There is also a great collection on [url=http://bit.ly/9ziefk]Flickr[/url]. Deborah Boys Club was in Albany Park, a Jewish community center still open when I was in elementary school. It now serves a different ethnic group. It's on Kimball and Ainslie, south west corner.

I always assume the Kaufman's on Skokie was moved from Albany Park by the original owners, but don't know for sure. I remembered Kaufman's on Kedzie,just north of Lawrence, east side of the street, but not certain.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 03:40PM

Kaufmans baker was at appx. 4405 N. Kedzie next door to Ada's delicatesian.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 04:21PM

tseals Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kaufmans baker was at appx. 4405 N. Kedzie next
> door to Ada's delicatesian.

that's interesting....what a diverse block that must have been...Kaufman's, Ada's, then down the block you had the Our Lady of Mercy Convent, followed by the Korea Times building. (both of the later now demolished). I ready somewhere that the Korea Times used that building for newspaper publishing and TV broadcasting since the early-70's, but have since moved to Lincolnwood.

I've also read that a number of the apartment buildings in the area that had been section 8, are letting their permits expire are going condo. So I guess it will be a matter of time before the ethnic and cultural diversity of that area gets further watered down. The former sites of the Korea Times building and Our Lady of Mercy Convent are already said to be up for development

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2010 08:47PM

Just went bye OLM convent & it's been demolished. How Sad, but no "Penquins" have been there for years. Used to Go to OLM ; Just recently had 40 yr reunion a few months back.

AD:

Posted by: BullHubbard (---.dhcp.losa.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 05:09PM

222psm writes: "There was a corner store by my aunt's house, on the SW corner of w 38th Pl and S Francisco in Brighton park."

This is my old 'hood (I lived a block south near the corner of Pershing and California), and I remember the store well, just not its name. It had a typical name like most such places, a lady's name, like "Jean's" or something like that. Natch, we would buy comics, soda, baseball cards, and for a while we were going through a top phase--wooden tops that we would spin in the street.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 10:51AM

BullHubbard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 222psm writes: "There was a corner store by my
> aunt's house, on the SW corner of w 38th Pl and S
> Francisco in Brighton park."
>
> This is my old 'hood (I lived a block south near
> the corner of Pershing and California), and I
> remember the store well, just not its name. It
> had a typical name like most such places, a lady's
> name, like "Jean's" or something like that.
> Natch, we would buy comics, soda, baseball cards,
> and for a while we were going through a top
> phase--wooden tops that we would spin in the
> street.

I remember my uncle sending us to buy him cigarettes, and they would sell them to us! We where in our early teens. My cousins used to buy the DC comics (Justice League) and of course a lot of candy, soda, and snacks.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 12:49PM

I went to Kozminsky Elementary School at 53rd and Ellis for Kindergarten through 2nd grade and there was a small store across the street called Ma's School Store that had all kinds of stuff. Ma herself looked very, very old.

After that I went to St. Basil Roman Catholic at 55th and honore which had a small school store across the street from the convent on Honore north of Garfield. There were a bunch more just on my way to and from school around 57th and Wood and Hermitage and other places.

Somebody mentioned buying cigarettes when they were kids for an uncle. Many of these stores did not have the licenses to sell cigarettes, and would only sell them to folks known to them.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 03:31PM

I posted this info awhile back on a different site but thought that it would fit nicely into this thread.

I felt like starting a thread to document the old neighborhood stores of North Berwyn. I wanted to concentrate on the smaller "inner neighborhood" stores and not ones on the main drags like Roosevelt Rd., Cermak, Harlem, or 16th St. This thread is for the small mom & pop stores where the owner commonly lived above or behind their business. The "corner store" was an institution in old neighborhoods like North Berwyn from Roosevelt Rd. to 16th St.. There were a couple dozen within the community from the days before refrigeration, large grocery store chains, and shopping malls. The proprietors of these businesses intimately knew their customers and what they purchased. Back before cars it wasn't really necessary for you to leave your little neighborhood when everything you needed was right there. Many of these stores operated uninterrupted for decades. By the 1960s and 1970s most of the stores became obsolete and the fronts were bricked over and the interiors turned into rental apartments or additional living space for the owners. Times change and the origins of these unique pieces of our neighborhoods history have mostly been lost to history.

To understand why these stores were there you would need to know a little about "North Berwyn" or "South Oak Park" from Harlem to Lombard and 12th to 16th St's. This part of our city was situated between the Village of Oak Park and the vast open prairie from 16th St. to 31st St., with the exception of a small neighborhood in the vicinity of 26th & Ridgeland Ave. (Single houses also dotted the open prairie in between). For the most part Oak Park really didn't want anything to do with the area commonly known as "South Oak Park." The area was mostly undeveloped with no schools, very rough streets, and immigrants. South Oak Park was the first area in Berwyn to experience an influx of Bohemian immigrants right at the turn of the 20th century. The Bohemians as we knew them in Berwyn didn't arrive in significant numbers until around World War I, but North Berwyn was already populated with an older group that settled in the area which for all intents and purposes was "the sticks." The first homes in the area were built around 12th St. & Oak Park Ave., mostly on the 1200, 1300, & 1400 blocks of Clarence, Wesley, Oak Park Ave., Grove, Kenilworth, Clinton, Home, & Wenonah. Many of these blocks had just 3-5 homes on the block or small clusters of homes and then open overgrown prairie. Because of the lack of building codes the first homes began springing up circa 1892 and among them were the small neighborhood stores. Due to the remote location of the area, South Oak Park needed to be self sufficient. South Oak Park became part of Berwyn when Berwyn was officially recognized as a city by the state of Illinois in 1908.

I could go on about North Berwyn history but I will just stick to the small stores for now. Here are some that I can think of off the top of my head from living in that immediate area for 21 years and studying it for many years after. For now I will just stick with the stores from Maple to East Ave. I know there were some east of East Ave., but maybe I will look into those later. I would have to search because I am not as familiar with every store in that area like I am the area west of East Ave. This is going to be a long winded post but to my knowledge this info has never been compiled by anyone researching Berwyn's history. It may help some researcher in the future.

AD:

Date: December 24, 2011 03:40PM

Moving east here they are:

(Click to enlarge all photos.)

1400 S. Wenonah

One of my childhood friends lived in this one when we were kids. This ad from when the store was a grocery is from the 1915 Bohemian directory. The store was later called Nemlaha's from about the 1930s until it closed in I believe the 1960s.

1446 S. Wenonah

This one was a grocery store in the 1930s.

1220 S. Home

The side lot of this store where the garage is now was a stable for horses. This ad is from the 1915 Bohemian directory.

1246 S. Clinton

This one was a grocery and then a bakery over the years.

1346 S. Clinton

This one was a tavern called The Home Side Inn in the 1930s.

1509 S. Clinton

This store was the United Tea Store in the 1930s

1346 S. Kenilworth

This one has a FASCINATING story! Here is an ad from the 1915 Bohemian directory for the butcher shop that originated there. By the 1930s a Bohemian Pilsen neighborhood butcher named Joseph Moravec moved into this home/store and opened a butcher shop. In November 1935 two armed bandits came into his store and tried to rob him. Moravec was killed but not before he wrestled a revolver from one of the robbers named Burl Harrison of 2716 S. Grove in Berwyn and killed him as well. The other robber was later caught. Amazingly the Moravec family STILL resides in the home until this day.

1400 S. Kenilworth.

This has continuously operated as a grocery store for an astonishing 90+ years. The store was owned by Simon Jurkovic for about 20 years untill he died in 2000. Simon kept the store and the rest of the property in immaculate condition with pride. After his death his family kept it for a couple more years before they sold the store. It became a Mexican grocery after that. This store will always be in my memories. I used to go there and buy single pretzels for I think 3 cents a piece out of a tall round glass jar. They had a big case of candy and a small deli case where they sliced meat with an old white enamel meat slicer. Of course they carried Bohemian Daisy Brand meats like Prazky from the Crawford Sausage Company. The store STILL has the same Salada Tea brand porcelain door push on the oak front door that has been there since the 1940s or 1950s. This is the last "inner neighborhood" small store operating in the City of Berwyn.

1401 S. Grove/6815 W. 14th St.

This store was originally a delicatessen operated by a Bohemian named Joseph Sikel. The store was later bought in 1961 by John & Antonia Pagakis and served as a showroom for their used office furniture business called Page Nichols. John died some years back and Antonia died in 2009. The Berwyn Historical Society purchased the building from the Pagakis estate in April 2011 for their new home. This building miraculously survived as a store even though it was not actually operating as an active storefront for the past 50 years. The interior is in amazing untouched original condition including the original 90+ year old tin ceiling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 03:53PM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Date: December 24, 2011 03:51PM

More stores.

1404 S. Oak Park Ave.

This one was a bakery for a long time.

1422 S. Oak Park Ave.

This one was once a barber shop.

1426 S. Oak Park Ave.

This one was ABC Upholstry Shop in the 1930s.

1500 S. Oak Park Ave.

This one was a grocery and dairy. It has operated as a hair salon for at least a couple of decades.

1300 S. Euclid Ave.

This one was a grocery & deli.

1348 S. Wesley

1300 S. Clarence

This was A.J. Balicek Delicatessen till the 1930s.

1346 S. Clarence

This was once a grocery.

1300 S. East Ave.

This was almost always a tavern. It was called Kings Inn in the 1970s.

1500 S. East Ave.

This was always a grocery and still continues to operate as a Mexican Carniceria. Interestingly this store was owned by the Bertuca family (The city of Berwyn's insurance guy Vince and Anthony Betruca who is a city attorney). The store was called S & G Grocery (Sal & Goldie) who were the Bertuca brothers parents. They ran the store for over 20 years.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2011 08:06PM

There was a Centrella store at SE corner of Division and LeClaire, in Austin, called Stella Bros in mid 60's that my mom walked to often.

After the 1967 snowstorm, they saved milk in storeroom for families with kids, to prevent hoarders. My mom went there and one manager said 'you got kids right?, here's some milk'.

A convienience store is there, now, last I checked in same building. i.e. hasn't been torn down.

AD:

Posted by: BullHubbard (---.dhcp.losa.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 26, 2011 07:50PM

Way ta go, Berwyn Frank! Fascinating bit of neighborhood history!

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 02:29PM

Gee, I remember when that one place had a 1950's Pepsi sign. And a colorful neon sign in the window for some ice cream co.

AD:

Posted by: KTM (---.usg.com)
Date: February 08, 2012 11:27AM

Those who grew up in central Austin near the west end of Chicago Avenue would remember "Grace's" corner grocery store on the southeast corner of Chicago and Mayfield Avenues "Grace's" may have been owned by both Bill and Grace Cenera, but it was clearly run by Grace, a no-nonsense businesswoman - they were a lovely couple away from the store.
Traveling further east down Chicago Avenue, there was a malt shop that appeared to be a holdover from the 1940s on the southeast corner of Chicago and Menard Avenues that was run by a gentleman named Chris Jivas.

AD:

Posted by: abe24 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 01:05AM

I grew up on Homan and Cermak. We had Homan Parlor on 23rd and Homan. They had an old phone booth that you could actually close the door and have private phone conversations. Adam Hajek also sold "surprise boxes". You did not know what toy was in there but had such things as a parachute soldier and such. They also sold penney candy, pickles. ice cream and the best donuts. They had an old register and the best cold cut sandwiches. They would lock up all the coolers when Farragut students got out and unlock everything after all students were long gone. We would sell pop bottles back to the store for change, then spend it all on penny candy.

We also had Aggies on 24th and Homan and since the neighborhood was changing to hispanic, there was La Sorpresa on Cermak east of Kedzie, La India at 23rd and Kedzie.

AD:

Posted by: abe24 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 01:15AM

Nice job Berwyn Frank!!!

AD:

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact