Corner Grocery Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Corner Grocery Stores
Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 04:29PM

captain54 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tseals Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > HUNSINGERS was at 4301 N. Whipple. They had
> food,
> > sausages and sum pretty cool kid's candy in the
> > 60's & early 70's
>
> I have friends in the area and frequent a few
> stores there...the store at 4301 N Whipple is now
> Julie's Organics...an organic grocery store/cafe
>
> I've always wondered what a few of the current
> establishments around there must have been in
> their former life...there's a liquor store on the
> northeast corner of Montrose and Albany that looks
> like its been there for quite a while...however,
> there's a liquor store on the northeast corner of
> Montrose and Kedzie that looks pretty much like it
> was one of those pharmacy/drug store/soda fountain
> type places.

I'm almost sure that was a restaurant/diner on the northeast corner of Montrose and Kedzie.
but I may be wrong. Any one remember Jim Lee's chop suey? on Montrose between Albany and Whipple? man that was some good food!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2010 05:03PM by 222psm.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Christine (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 04:53PM

I grew up near Horner Park, but on the other side of Irving Park Rd. There was a corner grocery store called Maliha at the corner of Troy and Grace that we frequented as kids, especially after school. Went to Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic school at Spaulding and Grace.

Also, I made frequent trips as a kid for my parents to the Food and Liquor store on the corner of Francisco and Irving Park. It must have a new owner now, it looks like it is still there, But years ago they had a small deli counter and everything in there. The former owner, Francis worked there with his son? He bragged about fighting off a gun wielding robber one day while he was unarmed!

AD:

Posted by: Elf Odin (---.mc.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 04:26PM

Corner grocery stores that I remember: L&N, on the southwest corner of Wolfram and Greenview; Geldmeyer's, on the northwest corner of Wolcott and Warner; a name that I can't remember, on the southwest corner of Byron and Oakley; and on the northwest corner of Leavitt and Belle Plaine.

The was a Del Farm on the Lincoln/Leavitt/Sunnyside triangle, across from Welles Park: that's the current location of the Sulver Regional branch of the Chicago Public Library (which replaced the Hild branch on the west side of Lincoln, a half-block south of Wilson).

-- EO

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (64.134.166.---)
Date: January 09, 2010 04:56PM

222psm Wrote:

> I'm almost sure that was a restaurant/diner on
> the northeast corner of Montrose and Kedzie.
> but I may be wrong. Any one remember Jim Lee's
> chop suey? on Montrose between Albany and Whipple?
> man that was some good food!

there's still a restaurant/diner at that intersection, but on the NW corner...

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 01:32PM

[i]I grew up near Horner park in the 70's and 80's.
I remember the Jack in the box, it caught fire and it was shut down. It stayed boarded up for a while, before it was demolished.
there was a corner store on Sacramento and Berteau, if I remember right it was called Kattie's or something like that. we used to go get candy there before school. I went to Batemen from k-8th grade[i][/i]

[b]I forgot about this place until you mentioned it. Used to get Vernons Ginger ale from there.[/b]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I also remember Jimmy Lee's on Montrose & the old Angelo's pizza which was down the block from the new one. But most of all the "Golden Crust Football Pizza, which is still in the neighborhood.

There were alot of the small candy/grocery stores in the middle of the block. I also remember the one near Roosevelt H.S. on Wilson & Kimbal, you walked down into it. To many "greesers" (tough guys) from Roosevelt hung out there.
Another one was in the 4500 Block of either Harding or Springfield across from that school.

I also remmber going to my cousin's house near Our Lady help of Christians where there was a cool candy store in the middle of the block across from the school on either 800 block of Leamington or leclaire.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 11, 2010 03:44AM

I recall that some of the corner stores kept their heavy exterior glass door propped open in the summer months and used a rickety, noisy wooden screen door to let some air circulate (before air conditioning was more common). Does anyone remember the metal enameled push plate across the screen door--it usually advertised "Salada Tea."

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2010 12:23PM

I believe that the screen doors and push plates were to be found back in the '50s at stores I visited as a young child. Along Glenwood Ave, north of Morse Ave adjacent to the Red Line were both a butcher shop and a fish guy.These specialty stores thrived throughout the neighborhood.

AD:

Date: January 15, 2010 04:00AM

[s][/s]I was in the old neighborhood (California & Montrose) today and trying to remember the old haunts.
Certified Grocers On montrose between Albany & whipple, The Tip-Top Bakery @ Montrose & Richmond. Also the Allied Moving company ( also the S & H green stamp redemption center across the street.) I cant' remember which was 1st. S & H or the moving co. I do remember playing with the boys in the ruble after they tore the moving Company building down and getting a rock dropped on my noggin'.
The Tastee Freeze on California & Montrose. Our Lady of Mercy school & church. - They tore down the Nun's house.?!! Johnnie's doughnuts between Kedzie & Troy next to the ally. Kaufman's Bagels & Ada's delicatessen. The N/E corner of Kedzie & montrose was a drug store. The National T grocery store on S/e corner of Kedzie & Montrose. AND the KRAMLE (?) milk machine at appx 2955 W. Montrose next to the alley. It was 2 quarters for a carton of milk. Also on Lawrence & Kedzie(Kimball) was Al's record store and Tots & Teens clothes. The Bagel was also on Kdezie.
It was a rush just going thru the old 'hood.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 04:56AM

tseals Wrote:
> I was in the old neighborhood (California &
> Montrose) today and trying to remember the old
> haunts.
> Kaufman's Bagels &
> Ada's delicatessen. The N/E corner of Kedzie &
> montrose was a drug store. The National T grocery
> store on S/e corner of Kedzie & Montrose.

Was that area primarily Jewish at one point?

What was at the NW corner of Montrose and Kedzie?
it always a gas station?

AD:

Date: January 16, 2010 11:56PM

[i]tseals Wrote:
> haunts.
> Kaufman's Bagels &
> store on S/e corner of Kedzie & Montrose.

Was that area primarily Jewish at one point?

What was at the NW corner of Montrose and Kedzie?
it always a gas station?[/i]

The N/W corner of Kedzie/Montrose was a drug store & packaged liquor. The gas station was on the S/w corner.

The area closer to Kedzie & Lawrence had a large jewish population. Lawrence Ave had many delicatessens & stores. Montrose & Kedzie area was the Community of Our Lady of Mercy Catholic school & Parish.

AD:

Date: January 17, 2010 12:08AM

tseals Wrote:
> haunts.
> Certified Grocers On montrose between Albany &
> whipple, The Tip-Top Bakery @ Montrose & Richmond.
> Also the Allied Moving company ( also the S & H
> green stamp redemption center across the street.)
> I cant' remember which was 1st. S & H or the
> moving co. I do remember playing with the boys in
> the ruble after they tore the moving Company
> building down and getting a rock dropped on my
> noggin'.
> The Tastee Freeze on California & Montrose. Our
> Lady of Mercy school & church. - They tore down
> the Nun's house.?!! Johnnie's doughnuts between
> Kedzie & Troy next to the ally. Kaufman's Bagels &
> store on S/e corner of Kedzie & Montrose. AND the
> KRAMLE (?) milk machine at appx 2955 W. Montrose
> next to the alley. It was 2 quarters for a carton
> of milk. Also on Lawrence & Kedzie(Kimball) was
> Al's record store and Tots & Teens clothes. The
> Bagel was also on Kdezie.
> It was a rush just going thru the old 'hood.

Man did you bring back some memories, I remember my mom buying milk from the milk machine. There were also 4 phone booths (the kind you walked into like superman)! Next to the milk machine.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2010 12:01PM

teals,
You have an amazing memory for details. Thanks for the great catch,I had not known that both Kaufmans and Ada's were located on Montrose some years ago. My memories of Montrose are poor, but i can recall much of the activity along Lawrence west of the river during the 60s. Grossingers Pontiac was on Lawrence and Sac,the cigar store (?) was at Kimball across from the L terminal, a few doors away was Napolis restaurnat. Ned Singers Sports (host of River Pk baseball teams) was west of Kimball and Maury's hot dogs with its legions of cutomers was to be found over at Cenrtral Park. Maybe others can write in to fill in the blanks on Lawrence Ave. I cannot remember the exact location of the Albany Pk Bank.

AD:

Date: January 21, 2010 07:17PM

I remember a lot of shoe stores on Lawrence between Kedzie and Kimball. a drug store maybe it was a Walgreen's? and thrift store next to the L station.

AD:

Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 06:48PM

there was a corner grocery store when we lived on Wilson ave.it was right at the end of the apartment building.
Another corner store was on western near Montrose.it was a small store we would buy candy there I remember the place sold dolls also.There was a tiny store near there where we would get penny candy that was sold behind a glass counter.
Del farm on leavitt we would go to when we were at the park.

AD:

Posted by: Johnny Sauganash (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 01:45AM

liz Wrote:
> there was a corner grocery store when we lived on
> Wilson ave.it was right at the end of the
> apartment building.
> Another corner store was on western near
> Montrose.it was a small store we would buy candy
> there I remember the place sold dolls also.There
> was a tiny store near there where we would get
> penny candy that was sold behind a glass counter.
> Del farm on leavitt we would go to when we were at
> the park.

On the south side of Montrose west of Western, there were/are four small buildings before the Aldi (formerly Jewel) ... one of the two storefronts (the other two buildings are frame two-flats) was sort of a toy store -- sold coloring books; little buildings that were printed flat on perforated sheets that you'd carefully tear our out and fold into a 3-D structure. Probably sold stuff like matchbox cars, etc., too. ... This could be the place that sold the dolls.

Also, speaking of Welles Park, there was Johnny's hot dog stand, a little orange and green cart that Johnny himself would pull out to Lincoln Ave. from its storage spot up one of the alleys (off Sunnyside directly north of Del Farm. I believe his daughter ran it for a few years after he died/retired.

AD:

Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2010 03:48AM

I remember that store next to jewel that sold toys.but the other grocery was down western past the american legion at the end of the block.I remember the dolls in boxes at that store.
I remember johnny's and he keep his cart in some garage in the alley.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 01:12AM

Anybody from Back of the Yards?

AD:

Date: February 16, 2010 04:36PM

There was a corner store by my aunt's house, on the SW corner of w 38th Pl and S Francisco in Brighton park.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2010 04:50PM

I seemed on every block or every other block on the southwest side there was a grocery or what we called a candy store. Midwest and Royal Blue were common. Also local taverns almost on every block.

AD:

Date: February 16, 2010 05:05PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:

> Also local taverns almost on every block.

That's one thing I remember most, I've been to other cities and never seen bars on almost every corner like in Chicago!

AD:

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact