Corner Grocery Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Corner Grocery Stores
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2009 01:55AM

I got to thinking about the big snow of '67. The city did not plow side streets and our corner grocery store (about about 2 blocks north of Belmont) was running low on stock. We tried to shovel as much of the street as possible but without plows it was tough going.

Just then we saw two meat delivery men wearing their long blood-spotted smocks with a giant leg of beef on their shoulders. They were carrying the meat the two blocks from Belmont. It was a strange sight. I don't know if the grocer got other supplies that way or not.

It occurred to me that there was a grocery store about every two blocks back then. Probably more when the only chain store around was National and that was quite a walk when most housewives carried groceries on foot or in a shopping cart.

I counted over a dozen stores in less than a mile square area. Most of them were located in the front of a corner 2, 3, or six-flat. Some were candy stores with soda fountains, school supplies, etc. But most were fully stocked with butcher, deli, produce, dairy, and packaged products. You could get everything you needed a few steps from home.

As I drove through my old neighborhood I noticed only one or two stores left. One is now a cafe. The others have been bricked up and converted into apartments.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Corner Grocery Stores
Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2009 04:25AM

I remember there being a lot of corner grocery stores back in the day, but I also remember not all of them being able to cover all that you needed. Some had fresher meat, some had better produce, etc...you had to travel around to different stores to get what you wanted and at the best price.

The chains like National, Jewel, etc..began to offer lower prices and a much wider selection of everything under one roof. People became more mobile in the 50's and 60's, so it became easier to travel to a chain, and by the early 70's..the Open Pantry type stores that you could walk to really put the corner grocer out of business for good.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2009 04:21PM

Yes I too was in the 1967 snow storm. All the corner stores were running out of food. I lived on 46th and Francisco and we where burried in and had to showel our way out of the house. I was running TV service calls around Chicago and Cicero avenue and it took me six hours to get home. That was one to remember.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2009 11:51PM

I was thinking of this not too long ago actually. At the time of the '67 Blizzard, we had 2 Jewels, the A&P and 3 National Tea stores, plus a butcher shop within our mile square neighborhood (76th to 87th and Cicero to Pulaski). I am probably forgetting one or two small stores. Not to mention the ones that fell just outside the perimeter of the 'hood.

AD:

Posted by: paul walenga (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 02:55AM

Mary's on 52nd and Mobile the building is still there and I remember going when i was really little. There was also a Novaks grocery across the street where the building is gone. A rarity to have two remnants of corner stores on the same corner in Garfield Ridge.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2009 10:57PM

Corner grocery stores are one of the neatest Chicago oddities. I grew up on the far north end of Berwyn and in my neighborhood there was one on every corner, although they were all bricked over by my day. The only one still in operation in Berwyn was on my corner at 1400 S. Kenilworth. When I was a kid (1980s) the then owner had the display case full of candy and a round glass jar of individual pretzel rods on the counter for sale! They had a small glass case of meats and an old white enamel meat slicer. I can still taste the Daisy Brand Bohemian Prazky! Believe it or not it is still there and operating, although under new ownership.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1400+s+Kenilworth+berwyn&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=61.153041,135.087891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1400+S+Kenilworth+Ave,+Berwyn,+Cook,+Illinois+60402&ll=41.861491,-87.796254&spn=0,359.98351&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.861487,-87.796376&panoid=c2PfY6OtftJDfoP8UWLBVw&cbp=12,214.29,,0,7.87

It is interesting, the area of Roosevelt Rd. to 16th St. across North Lawndale, North Cicero, and North Berwyn have hundreds of "middle of the neighborhood" stores. These areas were primarily populated by immigrants. I am just fascinated with these areas, partly because of the stores.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 11:04PM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 01:22AM

HUNSINGERS was at 4301 N. Whipple. They had food, sausages and sum pretty cool kid's candy in the 60's & early 70's

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: December 29, 2009 11:55AM

Berwyn Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Corner grocery stores are one of the neatest
> Chicago oddities. I grew up on the far north end
> of Berwyn and in my neighborhood there was one on
> every corner, although they were all bricked over
> by my day. The only one still in operation in
> Berwyn was on my corner at 1400 S. Kenilworth.
> When I was a kid (1980s) the then owner had the
> display case full of candy and a round glass jar
> of individual pretzel rods on the counter for
> sale! They had a small glass case of meats and an
> old white enamel meat slicer. I can still taste
> the Daisy Brand Bohemian Prazky! Believe it or not
> it is still there and operating, although under
> new ownership.

Small world and getting smaller. My in-laws used to live within sight of the store mentioned above on Kenilworth. My kids remember their Grandfather taking them there for treats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 03:52PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: paul walenga (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 01:33AM

they are all but gone on the southwest side

AD:

Date: December 31, 2009 02:19AM

tseals Wrote:
> HUNSINGERS was at 4301 N. Whipple. They had food,
> sausages and sum pretty cool kid's candy in the
> 60's & early 70's

I have friends in the area and frequent a few stores there...the store at 4301 N Whipple is now Julie's Organics...an organic grocery store/cafe

I've always wondered what a few of the current establishments around there must have been in their former life...there's a liquor store on the northeast corner of Montrose and Albany that looks like its been there for quite a while...however, there's a liquor store on the northeast corner of Montrose and Kedzie that looks pretty much like it was one of those pharmacy/drug store/soda fountain type places.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2009 02:21AM by captain54.

AD:

Date: January 01, 2010 09:13PM

I remember the Liquor store on- Albany -" Peackock's. Next door was a shoe repair shop. Pesolia's (sic). The S/E corner of Albany & montrose was SHWARTZ's pharmacy. The S/W corner of Sacremento & montrose was Black's pharmacy. &&&&&
In the basement of the N/E corner of Sacremento & Montrose was a small greezzyy spoon diner, "Margie's". I miss the Old hood, but it was getting a bit dicey for a while.

AD:

Date: January 01, 2010 09:42PM

paul walenga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------/
> they are all but gone on the southwest side

two I remember from my childhood are Miller's Grocery, between May and Aberdeen on 51st street, (all purpose grocery with butcher, produce, etc), and a small grocery on the corner of 51st and Carpenter with an amazing penny candy counter. These were probably gone late 60's/early 70's

AD:

Date: January 01, 2010 09:51PM

tseals Wrote:
> I remember the Liquor store on- Albany -"
> Peackock's. Next door was a shoe repair shop.
> Pesolia's (sic). The S/E corner of Albany &
> montrose was SHWARTZ's pharmacy. The S/W corner of
> Sacremento & montrose was Black's pharmacy.
> &&&&&
> In the basement of the N/E corner of Sacremento &
> Montrose was a small greezzyy spoon diner,
> "Margie's". I miss the Old hood, but it was
> getting a bit dicey for a while.

Peacock's is still there with that remarkable old sign...there's a mini mall on the NE corner of California and Montrose, and I always wondered what that was..

were those pharmacy's the kind with the sofa/ice cream parlor facility..? I remember as a kid frequenting a few of those on the northwest side and that was an incredible experience...being served by a guy with a white uniform and hat.

AD:

Date: January 02, 2010 12:56AM

I remember the Miller's store you talk about. I lived on 5007 s. may street in the 30' & early 40's I thought it was a Midwest Store. There was a barber shop on the corner of 51st and may.

AD:

Date: January 02, 2010 01:18AM

Both pharmacys did NOT have soda fountains, However, they both had candy, small foods, TOYS, model cars- plane- and boats, office supplies, etc. They both had coolers to get pop from. Grape Nehi(sic), TAB, Green river etc, I remember the competion between both of those guy's who owned the pharmacys.

On California & Montrose was a Jack-in -the Box. I can't remember what was there before that. I think it was a gas station?

AD:

Date: January 02, 2010 01:35AM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
> I remember the Miller's store you talk about. I
> lived on 5007 s. may street in the 30' & early
> 40's I thought it was a Midwest Store. There was
> a barber shop on the corner of 51st and may.

I can just about remember what was on every street corner from Morgan to Loomis on 51st, since I grew up there and walked to school via 51st street from 1st to 8th grade at St John of God. The number of taverns and bars in that stretch was phenomenal.

AD:

Date: January 02, 2010 01:41AM

tseals Wrote:
> Both pharmacys did NOT have soda fountains,
> However, they both had candy, small foods, TOYS,
> model cars- plane- and boats, office supplies,
> etc. They both had coolers to get pop from. Grape
> Nehi(sic), TAB, Green river etc, I remember the
> competion between both of those guy's who owned
> the pharmacys.
>
> On California & Montrose was a Jack-in -the Box.
> I can't remember what was there before that. I
> think it was a gas station?

My friend and I used to walk around that area in the better weather and just marvel at some of the current establishments, and would wonder what they had been in a past life. There was a small factory on California somewhere between Montrose and Irving that was in sort of Bauhaus/Deco style that we used to love, and then one day it was gone.

AD:

Date: January 02, 2010 07:10PM

captain54 Wrote:
> Richard Stachowski Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I remember the Miller's store you talk about. I
> > lived on 5007 s. may street in the 30' & early
> > 40's I thought it was a Midwest Store. There
> was
> > a barber shop on the corner of 51st and may.
>
> I can just about remember what was on every street
> corner from Morgan to Loomis on 51st, since I grew
> up there and walked to school via 51st street from
> 1st to 8th grade at St John of God. The number of
> taverns and bars in that stretch was phenomenal.

We all went to St. John The Baptist.

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 10:34PM

The chain stores I remember from Hyde Park in the 1950's were: 1) Kroger's, a few doors south of 63rd St near University; 2) A&P, 55th Street just east of St Thomas' Church; 3) HiLo, 63rd St; 4) another one (National? Grand Union? Don't remember) on 55th between Woodlawn and University. Subsequently, in the 1960's, 55th was split to accommodate new apartment houses and most of the commerce disappeared. The Co-Op wasn't a chain market but a major presence in HP. When we first lived in Chicago it was 'way down east on (55th? 57th?) before the fabled "new Co-Op" later opened on 57th about 1957 or 1958; it had an automatic cookie-baking machine from which fresh cookies emerged on a conveyor belt---they cost fifty cents a pound.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 12:27PM

tseals Wrote:
> Both pharmacys did NOT have soda fountains,
> However, they both had candy, small foods, TOYS,
> model cars- plane- and boats, office supplies,
> etc. They both had coolers to get pop from. Grape
> Nehi(sic), TAB, Green river etc, I remember the
> competion between both of those guy's who owned
> the pharmacys.
>
> On California & Montrose was a Jack-in -the Box.
> I can't remember what was there before that. I
> think it was a gas station?

I grew up near Horner park in the 70's and 80's.
I remember the Jack in the box, it caught fire and it was shut down. It stayed boarded up for a while, before it was demolished.
there was a corner store on Sacramento and Berteau, if I remember right it was called Kattie's or something like that. we used to go get candy there before school. I went to Batemen from k-8th grade.

AD:

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact