Corner Grocery Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Corner Grocery Stores
Posted by: ss4life (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 06:45PM

My grandparents lived in McKinley Park, there were 2 taverns on their block, one on the corner and one in the middle rite across from their house. Also, my mom told me that there was one on the corner by our church, and the bartender used to go to the rectory all the time to make change for the customers if he didn't have it.

When I was little, there were maybe 5 corner stores left in the neighborhood, now there is only one, and I wonder how its stayed for so long. I used to buy penny candy there 25 years ago.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Date: January 04, 2013 06:50PM

My best friend's mom lived upstairs from that store in high school. I think it was called alexs. and the last time i drove by, it was still there, about a year ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 06:53PM by ss4life.

AD:

Date: January 04, 2013 06:52PM

It was called Alex's, my best friend lived upstair in high school, it was still there last year when i drove by.

AD:

Posted by: slickchick (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: February 11, 2013 05:15PM

On 25th and Washtenaw there was a small combo hardware store snack food items and across was a corner grocery store - can't remember the name. It wwas right next door to where we lived in a 6 flat apartment building.

AD:

Posted by: Inner Prop (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 22, 2013 09:55AM

On the NE corner of Montrose and Kostner there is a Korean church that was a grocery store when I was young. Just east of it was a butcher shop and they connected to each other inside.

I remember my brothers got in trouble stopping into the store walking home for lunch from St. Ed's. They were supposed to walk straight home, but they stopped for candy.

When I was very very very small (like only weeks old) my Mom walked me over to the store and was shopping with me in the cart. A lady walked up and asked her if she were married to my Dad because there was no doubt in her mind that the baby in the cart was my father's son.

The original entrance to the store was on the corner with a sort of an undercut vestibule, but by the time I was walking to school that door was permanantly closed (it was still there, but you couldn't enter through it) and the main entrance moved to the east for some reason.

Today that front undercut vestibule is bricked over, but you can still see the outline.

AD:

Posted by: wags300 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2013 11:26AM

We lived at 5125 N Clark st above Evensons Food Mart on the corner of Winona.
I used to deliver groceries by bike (my older brother also) thru out the
neighborhood back in the late 40's & early 50's..It was full serve with
butchered meat on site, etc....down the block on Clark was a National
I think or small A&P..

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 02:17PM

wags300 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We lived at 5125 N Clark st above Evensons Food
> Mart on the corner of Winona.
> I used to deliver groceries by bike (my older
> brother also) thru out the
> neighborhood back in the late 40's & early
> 50's..It was full serve with
> butchered meat on site, etc....down the block on
> Clark was a National
> I think or small A&P..

--The grocery store down the street was an A&P at [url=https://maps.google.com/maps?q=5440+N+CLARK+ST++Chicago+IL+60640&hl=en&ll=41.981276,-87.668344&spn=0.000383,0.00066&sll=41.981555,-87.669528&layer=c&cbp=12,259.48,,0,-7.87&cbll=41.981223,-87.668378&gl=us&hnear=5440+N+Clark+St,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60640&t=h&z=21&panoid=QKxan3h3sE6At7jSheIY2A]5440 N. Clark[/url]. Thybony paints took over the building in the 1970's but recently moved down the street giving way to a Walgreens which just opened within the last year. In the Google street image (which looks like it was taken last spring during the Walgreens modification) you can clearly see the distinctive style of the 1960's era A&P.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 02:30PM by Mornac.

AD:

Posted by: wags300 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2013 10:56AM

I don't remember that A & P being north of Foster(5200 ).It was on the
same side as the odd numbered locales..City Fruit market was on that side
around 5240 N Clark and Schotts fish was on the opposite side near Berwyn.
That would be about the late 40's-early 50's

AD:

Posted by: jd6716 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 01:13AM

There was a grocery store at 60th and S Hamlin called Phils. He was a great butcher and a little grocery store at 59th Hamlin NW corner anyone remember?

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (107.31.204.---)
Date: March 09, 2015 01:04PM

I lived at 63rd and Karlov. Don't remember Phils but I do remember Lor's on Pulaski ,west side between 636d and 62nd. She made the best ham sandwich on Chicago style hard roll. with a big dill pickle on the side. lot of kids from Hubbard high would go there for a quick lunch.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: March 10, 2015 03:48AM

It seems like almost every other corner had a CORNER store. You never had it so convenint or did you ever think it would go away.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2015 12:19AM

Our corner store was Franks 50th Oakley (Southside)across the street from Oakley Playground. Dinamite business from kids buying penny candy Ha! Ha!

AD:

Posted by: Elf Odin (---.mc.net)
Date: March 21, 2015 12:31AM

I've spent the past week driving into the city, going east on Touhy to reach Loyola University. At 2210, there's a store named "Ed & Irv's"; does anyone have information on this place? It's closed; and from the signs that are posted, closed after 65 years. It looks to be more of a butcher shop than a corner grocery, though.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2015 01:37PM

Ed & Ervs Centrella Food Mart. They also had a meat counter as well. I knew them. I use to shop there back in the late 1980's, early 1990's when I lived in the neighborhood. They closed last December. Denny, one of the sons was a butcher there along with his father then. His brother, Andy also worked there at that time. He took care of the register.

Here is a picture of the store. Denny is the one in the white apron.

https://www.facebook.com/253338804743726/photos/a.253339568076983.58788.253338804743726/279337752143831/?type=1&theater

Some other pictures of the store as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ed-Ervs-Centrella/253338804743726?sk=photos_stream&tab=photos_stream

Here's an artictle about the store.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141013/west-rogers-park/ed-ervs-centrella-food-mart-close-after-67-year-run

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 02:18PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 12:30AM

My Aunt and Uncle owned a small grocery store on 46th Street and three blocks west of California. It was a basement store below a two flat. I remember the penny candy counter. I use to help them grind polish sausage into the cats gut. Not too far from their store you could smell the peanut oil from the factory on 47th Street.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 06:42PM

on the southwest corner of division and hamlin was a nearby grocery store COURTESY FOODS that mother took me and my sisters shopping to late '50s / early '60s. it probably lasted into the '70s. i recall an incident (around 1957?) when mom chewed out a man shopping there because he carelessly flicked his cigar ashes towards me in a stroller. the store doubled in size in the early '60s and was my mom's favorite because they had a little parking lot (off to the west side on division) other grocery stores didn't

AD:

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact