Named streets on the South Side

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Named streets on the South Side
Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: October 26, 2009 04:41PM

I know there was a thread about why east-west streets are known by their names on the north side of Chicago (Devon, North, Fullerton, etc) and by their numbers on the south side.

But I'm interested in, and I know there are a few, of any east-west streets on the south side that are named. I'm not talking about ones that are known by both like 55th street/Garfield Blvd, or 67th Street/Marquette, or 12th Street/Roosevelt and similiar streets.

For example there is a street between 51st place and 52nd street and Damen called James Street. Other examples I have found are right off of 47th and Wentworth there is a street called Swann Street and a street between Halsted and Stewart and between 62nd and 63rd street called Englewood Drive.

Any other?

Strange question I know but not to far off from many of the others in this forum. (Which is awesome BTW).

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Named streets on the South Side
Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: October 26, 2009 08:54PM

There's Bowen Avenue, between 41st and 42nd Streets, between Drexel and King Drives.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 09:23PM

Myrick, Hayford, Reilly, Pippin and Crestline are a few that come to mind.

Beth

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: October 26, 2009 10:44PM

Thanks exactly what I was looking for. Root street is another I have found.

AD:

Posted by: floozefactor (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 12:56AM

excellent book:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Chicago-History-Street-Names/dp/0829405976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256612101&sr=8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Chicago-History-Street-Names/dp/0829405976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256612101&sr=8-1</a>

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact