Balzekas Museum/Von Solbrig Hospital

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Balzekas Museum/Von Solbrig Hospital
Posted by: Maya (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 02:02AM

Anyone have any info/images on the former Von Solbrig Hospital on 65th and Pulaski? I remember visiting the Balzekas Museum a few times after days in high school. I once told my dad about my visit, and he said he knew someone who died in the hospital before it was converted into the museum space in 1986.

The building seems quite small for it to have once been a hospital. I also remember the museum had an unusually ornate bathroom.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Balzekas Museum/Von Solbrig Hospital
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 09:58PM

I don't have any direct information or even a personal recollection except to say that in my neighborhood it was known as the type of place you would not go to expecting good care.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2009 12:00PM

I came across this interesting article that mentions the hospital:

http://www.media.illinois.edu/knight/infiltrationessay.html

AD:

Posted by: greatzambo (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 11:02AM

There were two for-profit hospitals in Chicago that I can recall. One was Northwest Hospital at Addison and Central and the other was Von Solbrig. The former to the best of my knowledge was built by a contractor with dubious business ties. Von Solbrig, on the other hand, was owned by a surgeon. Indeed, reports of very sketchy care circulated in the 70's and it was closed.
It is possible that the last gasp of Jackson Park Hospital in the 90's may also have been in the form of a for-profit hospital. If so, it was the last to operate as such in Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: rrbond07 (---.sub-75-219-84.myvzw.com)
Date: September 28, 2010 02:48AM

My grandmother had stayed a short time in this hospital and it was awful then. The rooms had cinder block walls and painted an ugly blue. The stories I had read about the place at the time when they were trying to close it was a janior was allowed into the operating room when a surgery was taking place. My mother got her out of there as quickly as she could.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: September 29, 2010 12:55PM

I heard similar stories about that hospital. Kinda strange that it was located mid-block. Never set foot in the place.

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (---.performancemetal.com)
Date: September 29, 2010 03:32PM

I visited a friend in that hospital who was involved in a motorcycle accident in the spring of 1971. I don't remember much about the interior, but that was the only hospital I knew of that had a large vertical neon sign out front!

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 03:42PM

And if you remember, The color of the neon?.

AD:

Date: September 29, 2010 03:49PM

Sorry, I would only be guessing.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 10:34PM

I'm not certain on this, but it seems to me that the sign was rather bland in color. I seem to remember it being maybe brown letters on a beige background. Either that or white/goldish lighted letters on a brown background. It's strange as I can picture it in my mind, but cannot really remember specifics. It was for sure known as not the hospital to be sent to if you wanted to come out alive. I have been in there since it became the museum, as my alderman's office is also in there on the north side, upper floor. I truly can't picture how it could have been a hospital even though I know that it was.

AD:

Date: September 30, 2010 03:53PM

That's right. It was a rather subdued color sign. If memory serves me correctly, the "[b]VON[/b]" was spelled horizontally at the top and "[b]SOLBRIG[/b]" spelled vertically:
[b]VON
S
O
L
B
R
I
G[/b]

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 01, 2010 01:46AM

Steve B., that's the way I remember it too.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2013 05:53PM

The Dr. Who Owned Von Solbrig lived in a home at the corner of South 64th St and Keeler. I remember a News article of a reporter who went undercover and was hired as a janitor and ended up wheeling patients into an operating room that was suppose to be a steril environment. Emptying trash one moment and the next transporting unconcious patients without even washing up. No wonder it closed

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 10:03PM

Yep, all true. It was very bad there, speaking as a hospital professional who grew up in the area and knew the place.

But there were many for profit little hospitals in Chicago. There is another post here about the two DeMoon hospitals (one now called Sacred Heart is in the news right now after being closed down by the Feds for some very bad allegations) and there was one in the Trendy near north Lincoln park area (forgot the name, Roosevelt maybe?)...another was Edgewater, Bethany Methodist..I was at Michael Reese when it was for profit. Lots of them, Im sure I left several out.

Balzekas, btw, the son, still operates a quasi car lot/antique car museum at the old Chrysler Dealership location at Archer and Califorina. He lost the dealership some years back but kept the building and used car lot across the street. Now he keeps his personal collection of classic cars in the old dealership window.

The father, bought the old hospital at auction, if I remember correctly, to house all the antique furnishings and bric a brac that he had bought while visiting home to Luithania and other parts of Europe spending the money he made from the Chrysler car dealership.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2015 08:12PM

The old Edgewater Hospital is starting to be torn down now.

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 04:54PM

Remember that this was a hospital to serve the booming population West of Holy Cross Hospital, visited several occasions, it was very 'cinder block' inside, and bare bones, seemed to serve only doctors who may have been practicing without all the credentials, just my opinion based on a doctor my family used for years

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:07PM

rjmachon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The old Edgewater Hospital is starting to be torn
> down now.

--Little known fact: Birthplace of Hillary Clinton

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 11:40PM

I seem to remember Von Solbrig acquiring a very bad reputation in a short time and I believe that's why they closed. The DeMoon's owned Central Community Hospital at 57th-Wood.

Does anyone remember the name of the hospital that was in China Town. It reminded me of Von Solbrig, and it was there till the late 80's at least.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 06:32PM

Mornac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rjmachon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The old Edgewater Hospital is starting to be
> torn
> > down now.
>
>
> --Little known fact: Birthplace of Hillary Clinton

Haven't been that way for a while. What got approved for the site? Park and posh townhouses?

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 08:30PM

I lived a few blocks from Von Solbrig and it was a strange place being right on the corner and off the main street (Pulaski). Foot traffic and loud cars passing by 24hrs a day can't make for a restful nights sleep or peace for the patients. My father died from a massive heart attack and was taken there as a DOA. I remember the dark and dingy hallways at the front entrance.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact