skip's drive through on north and first ave.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
skip's drive through on north and first ave.
Posted by: jjcairo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 13, 2009 10:49PM

got any old timers and gear heads out there that remember skip's drive in? the food and fries were greasy the car hops butt ugly and the place was a dump, but there was a lot of hot cars there on a friday and saterday night. it was the place to be on the weekends if you were a kid with a hot car to show off? they drove the cops nuts in elmwood park river grove maywood and river forest drag racing for years. polk bros appliance store was right next door and kiddie land was directly across the street. there's a denny's on that spot now. used to drive a 63 chevy ss nicky special, snow white two door with a 427/411 posi rear end, hurst 4 speed w/reverse loc out linkage, shaffer revloc clutch, dual holly pumpers, ran dual glass packs with lakers, red leather interrior named the white goose. materials cement truck/snow plow wrapped it around a street light while parked in front of our house during the great storm of 67. my father and more then a few cops were just delighted when it happened ha!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: skip's drive through on north and first ave.
Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2009 12:55PM

I remember Skip's from that time. In fact, nearly the entire length of Harlem Ave through the northwest side, was a scene out of the movie "American Graffiti". The activity went as far north as Supedawg at 6300 Milwaukee. Each and every light was a new racing contest.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 15, 2009 02:47AM

Skip's was long gone by the time I learned to drive, but in high school did go to a few of the Skip's Fiesta Swap Meets in my friend's '29 roadster with a 331 Hemi and a floorpan made of rust.

There's a great Nickey tribute/registry at nickeychicago.net. Revell had a line of model cars (mostly muscle and custom styles) called Skip's Fiesta as well.

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 01:51PM

Newbie here.

Remember Skip's well. Memory serves, it's complete name was Skip's Fiesta. Still early in high school, I didn't have the money for a fast car (come to think of it I didn't ghave the money for ANY car at the time), but loved going out there. Couple years and a GTO later I found myself at the local dragstrips. Hit them all. Favorites were Great Lakes and Lake Geneva, but I think I eventually raced at all of them...Oswego, U.S. 30 and Rockford. Never got into the street racing scene. Seem to remember a spot on Illinios St. Maybe at Racine?

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 01:54PM

Newbie here.

Remember Skip's Fiesta well. Still early in high school, I didn't have the money for a fast car (come to think of it I didn't ghave the money for ANY car at the time), but loved going out there. Couple years and a GTO later I found myself at the local dragstrips. Hit them all. Favorites were Great Lakes and Lake Geneva, but I think I eventually raced at all of them...Oswego, U.S. 30 and Rockford. Never got into the street racing scene. Seem to remember a spot on Illinios St. Maybe at Racine?

AD:

Posted by: cricket (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2010 11:24PM

Any idea where I can get pics of Skip's? I've been trying to track them down for years. I lived in Bellwood and frequented the placed with my parents. Skip's is a legend.

AD:

Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: March 14, 2010 05:17AM

got this from the H.A.M.B.

s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll266/BigNick1959/?...Skips

go to google type it in it will take you to where the picture is.

AD:

Posted by: Artista (---.ual.com)
Date: March 14, 2010 07:17PM

JJ thanks so much for entering this topic!! For the longest time i had faint memories of our father taking the whole family there during the summer evenings. I was pretty young at the time but i DO remember being able to see Kiddieland from the back seat and wishing that that was on the agenda as well.(usually wasnt,,lol) My father owned a 57' Chevy at that time too. Thanks for identifying the drive~in. Now i certainly hope to find photos of Skip's as well.

AD:

Posted by: Artista (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 11:41AM

Just saw a pic from that link you provided. That huge 'FIESTA' sign attached had been burned into my memory from passing by it so many times but i never knew it was apart of that drive~in..very cool

AD:

Posted by: irishtom29 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2010 01:59PM

Sometimes guys trailered gassers out there and raced down North. One sometimes saw acid-dipped Mopars. And sleepers; 350 HP 327 Chevy II sedans with bench seats and 427 Ford Galaxy 2 door sedans and such. A pal had a cheap green 350-327 65 Chevelle---2 door sedan with bench seats and blackwall tires and 283 flags. Looked like an Grandpa car. Until he got on it.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact