Great Loop Eateries Now Long Gone

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Great Loop Eateries Now Long Gone
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 11, 2009 07:07PM

Comments on the Blackhawk, Henrici's, and more.

From Chicago Trib.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-0407260178jul26,0,2495845.story

Photo of interior of Henrici's.http://www.cardcow.com/216658/henricis-restaurant-chicago-illinois-chicago/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 07:25PM by fleurblue.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Great Loop Eateries Now Long Gone
Posted by: jjcairo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 13, 2009 10:55PM

bismark hotel blackhawk room, wallnut room sunday brunch, great german food! went there a lot when i was a kid.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 14, 2009 01:22AM

The original Berghoff, Mayor's Row, Councillor's Row. All the various restaurants that were in Marshall Field's. There was a place across from the Daley Center on Randolph that you had to walk downstairs - it was sort of like a country western decor - can't recall the name. Also, another place that used to have more than one location (Nicky's, Ricky's - a person's name) where you could see the steak cooking in the window. Not an expensive place by any means. I think there was a location on State St about where the Ch. 7 studio is located. What was the German place on State- Little Heidelberg? Jimmy Wong's. Trader Vic's.

AD:

Posted by: Quartermaine56 (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 16, 2009 12:56AM

Yes there were some very nice eateries in the loop, I enjoyed The Walnut Room (Marshall Fields), The Narcissus (Marshall Fields),Bergdoff's,Billy Goats on lower Wacker Drive and most of the deparment stores had eateries.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 11:57AM

bwalsh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
There was a place across from
> the Daley Center on Randolph that you had to walk
> downstairs - it was sort of like a country western
> decor - can't recall the name.

That was the Double-R Bar, famous for their chili. South Shore Line employees used to hang out there.

Also, another place
> that used to have more than one location (Nicky's,
> Ricky's - a person's name) where you could see the
> steak cooking in the window. Not an expensive
> place by any means.

Ronnie's Steak Palace.

I think there was a location
> on State St about where the Ch. 7 studio is
> located. What was the German place on State-
> Little Heidelberg?

Old Heidelberg was on Randolph...and, ironically, as a restaurant it ended its days as a Ronnie's. The facade was incorporated into the new downtown dorm building on the site. Fritzel's was on State, but I don't think it was ever a German place.

AD:

Date: December 09, 2009 10:08PM

Suddenly, I thought about all the Wimpy's places on various corners in the Loop. Never ate at one and don't remember when they closed or how many there were or the exact locations. Any thoughts? I don't think they were unique to Chicago.

AD:

Date: December 10, 2009 04:48AM

Wimpy's! Definitely remember them. I don't know if I ever ate at any of the downtown locations. But I do remember eating in the one in Evergreen Plaza. You are right, don't think they were unique to Chicago. There was a chain of Wimpy's in England as a matter of fact, but I don't know if they were the same or just a knock-off with the same name. I saw them there the first time I went over in 1980. I don't remember seeing any the last few times I was there though.

SuperCFL _ thanks for the names of those places! You are right about Fritzel's on State - no it wasn't a German place. That's right about Old Heidelberg. But I was sure there was a restaurant of some sort on State about where Ch. 7 is now. Wasn't Fritzel's at State and Lake on the northeast corner? Or was that another restaurant?

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2009 03:34PM

Fritzel's was at 210 N State, NE corner of State and Lake...there were plans of bringing a newer version of the restaurant back at that location a few years ago, but it never panned out. Fritzel's closed in 72'. Movie star and celebrity hang out in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.

There was also George Diamonds at 630 S Wabash. Another famous place that was housed in a Louis Sullivan building that was destroyed by fire a few years back.

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 02:41PM

Anyone remember Binyon's? My dad would take me there once a year or so for lobster. Soo good. Seem to recall it being at the south end of the loop, on a second floor maybe.

AD:

Date: December 21, 2009 03:03AM

I do remember Binyons. I went there for office lunches. The big draw was their turtle soup and bay scallops.

I think it was at the the bottom of LaSalle St. near the Board of Trade. Jackson St. maybe.

Also, they had a booth at the Taste of Chicago for many years--turtle soup was on the menu.

I think it closed in recent years.

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 01:33AM

My Mom was a waitress at Henricie's when I was young. I remember going along with my Dad, to pick her up from work downtown.

Also I barely remember on special occassions, eating at Goerge Diamonds. I would order Steak and when they came they had plastic color coded stick pins to tell how the steak was ordered. My dad would always say to me "Why do you want steak. It;s no differant than what we have at home but costs more". Back then I was able to tell the differance. I still like a good PRIME steak.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 02:51AM

Does anyone remember the "Little Corporal" restaurant on Wacker near Wabash? I remember it from the 70s as a bit of a late night eatery with a French influence.

AD:

Date: December 28, 2009 10:49PM

I do remember Little Corporal; went there after shopping or the movies.

I thought of Riccardo's on Wabash near Wacker. Stouffer's on Randolph near Wabash - a two story dining room with a large, carpeted stairway leading to the second level. For less than $5 you could get a hot meal with coffee and dessert. It rivaled any Marshall Field's dining room.

I think there was a place called Jimmy Wongs on Wabash near the Palmer House.

Does anyone remember a place in the lower level on LaSalle called Old Warsaw? I think it was near Madison. It was a cafeteria serving Polish food for lunch.

In the Gold Coast area there was the Magic Pan, Le Perroquet, The Kungsholm? (famous for their puppet theater - now Lawrys). Ireland's was great for seafood on N. Lasalle (later became Michael Jordan's).

Is the Pump Room still there? The Cape Cod in the Drake Hotel? Harry's Cafe (bar on Rush St.) Melvin's cafe on Rush. The Oak on Rush and Oak.

In addition there were dozens of gimmicky places that opened with a bang and folded within a few years or so.

AD:

Re: Great Loop Eateries Now Long Gone - Wimpy's
Posted by: WindyCityLV (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 12:48AM

One of my favorite lunch spots in the loop back in the 60's was Wimpy's on Randolph between State and Wabash,spending many a quick lunch hour enjoying a Wimpy burger (delicious, with their special relish) and a shake, or sometimes their really incredible homemade bread pudding,served warm - an unexpected treat from a very busy burger restaurant. Another favorite restaurant for lunch was the Heather House at Carson Pirie Scott on State Street,a gracious oasis with an extensive menu,and excellent food and service. I have never had a tuna melt sandwich (open face on an English muffin) as good as the one they served,often trying to duplicate it - without complete success. So many great restaurants and great memories!

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 10:17PM

At State and Randolph, roughly where Borders Books now stands, was (I hope I remember this name right) the Triangle Restaurant where seasonal foods were prepared in the window to attract drooling customers. In the summertime, strawberry shortcake. In cold weather, big baked Idaho potatoes and baked ham with sweet potatoes. I remember this from 1945-1946 and again in 1953. I don't know when they left.

Also, A Bit of Sweden (smorgasbord) that occupied the space that now is Carmine's, on Rush Street near Cedar.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 01:10AM

I remember my dad didn't think too highly of George Diamond...he viewed it as a place where they made you wait for your table and steered you into the bar. (I also think he wasn't too impressed with the steaks.) Because of that I never thought to go down there and try it myself...a shame, since it lingered on for so long.

My dad did think highly of Binyon's, though. I was there with him several times. My recollection was that it was in the basement...I seem to remember going down stairs to the dining hall. (And yes, it closed sometime in the mid-late 1990s.) He also remembered Wimpy's...there was also some place that specialized in individual pots of baked beans that he recalled fondly.

To move a bit west...is there anyone here who recalls a onetime West Side institution called Little Jack's? It was a favorite of the west side political crowd and area Jewish community. Some recent research makes me wonder if it may have moved after its location became undesirable in the early 1960s.

AD:

Re: Wimpy's
Posted by: Elf Odin (---.mc.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 04:32PM

There was a Wimpy's on the east side of Ashland, two or three doors north of the corner of School. It disappeared sometime in the late '60s, I think.

Slightly related: back then, the building on the northeast corner of Ashland and School was once a Western Auto. That entire block is now nothing like it was then.

-- EO

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2010 01:23PM

y.> > To move a bit west...is there anyone here who
> recalls a onetime West Side institution called
> Little Jack's? It was a favorite of the west side
> political crowd and area Jewish community. Some
> recent research makes me wonder if it may have
> moved after its location became undesirable in the
> early 1960s.

My Dad, now in his 80s and his buddies from the West Side recalled that restaurant along with some others from that neighborhood.A local brawler named Jack Ruby was known to get into an occasional tiff with the "Bund" prior to WWII and city politico Jake Arvey was instrumental in the Roosevelt and Truman compaigns.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 01:31AM

When it first opened, Marina City had an ice skating rink and a kind of Viennese cafe that surrounded it. I thought it was great, but I was a kid then so who knows?

Since the discussion has moved a bit off the Loop, I'm assuming it's okay to also mention places that used to be on Michigan Avenue. Charmet's (I think that was the spelling) on the corner of Michigan and Chicago, where the Ralph Lauren store is now located. Another place further south on Michigan Avenue, but before the river, that I think was Connell's or O'Connell's and later a Stouffer's or I have that reversed. Jacques had an interior garden and was lovely...it was on the block where the 900 (north) building is now, I think.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Date: January 21, 2010 12:51AM

I remember another restaurant that used to be in Marina City - Johnny Lattner's. Have been in there on St Patrick's Day a few times with my dad, who was on the parade committee. Johnny Lattner always matched in the parade.
I also used to skate at that rink sometimes on a Sunday - my parents would bring me downtown so I could skate.
Not sure if I would classify these as 'great', but I remember eating at Faber's when I worked downtown. They were in various locations in the Loop - cafeteria style. Also another place that I would grab lunch was kind of a small grocery store/deli, but mostly for the lunchtime crowd. It was a name Mc-----? There was one on Jackson at Wabash and another just off Michigan on Monroe maybe. I'm sure there were other locations also.

AD:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact