Great Loop Eateries Now Long Gone

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Great Loop Eateries Now Long Gone
Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: July 06, 2015 07:18PM

Richie--you are probably thinking of the restaurant on the 3rd floor of the Mallers building. The building is still there but I haven't gone up to the restaurant in many years. It was there as early as the 1950's, maybe even earlier.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Richie (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2015 03:46AM

This was street level.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.static.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 25, 2015 12:41AM

The Loop family owned restaurants are sadly fading away. I remember Mayor Daley about 10 years ago didn't want chain restaurants in the Loop because they started popping up and he could forecast the future of the Loop. I stopped for lunch not long ago at Beef N Brandy at 127 S. State Street. I spoke to a gentleman who has been at the restaurant for a long time. I asked him about family owned Loop restaurants and the reason you don't see them much anymore. He told me that most places had their lease expired and when the restaurant tries to renew the lease the building forces them out by skyrocketing the rent. So the only places that can afford the rent are popular chain restaurants, coffee shops etc.

AD:

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact