Photo Identification

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Photo Identification
Posted by: Bruce (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 11:39PM

I just received some old photos from a friend who comes from Chicago. These were in her photo album, but she does not know when, where, or of whom these pictures were from. Does anyone recognize these scenes? Any help would be appreciated.

This image shows an old 5 and 10. The address for this ACME store seems to say 9137 for an address.

Theater 1940

Mystery man in front of the back side of what seems to be a ticket booth.

I worked on this one for a few hours but could not determine where in Chicago they would have an observation roof or deck in a spot overlooking what appears to be S Michigan Avenue. I was not able to ID these buildings either.

Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Photo Identification
Posted by: BWChicago (---.dhcp.athn.ga.charter.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 01:52AM

The theater should be McVickers because you can see Wieboldt in the background, so it has to be on Madison. The observation platform, I would guess the Field Museum.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 02:26AM

Did the Field Museum have an observation platform? I can't seem to find mention of one.

Bruce

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 02:57AM

Could the observation deck be located on the Museum of Science and Industry? The attached site indicates that a deck existed to give people a view of the installation of the submarine exhibit.

It would also be a great place to view the lake and city. There appears to be a telescope on the left of the photo.

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/the-exhibit/restoration-relocation/relocating-the-u-505/

BC

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 02:11PM

The McVickers photo is a great one.

Regarding the mystery man - is that Eden Ahbez?

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: October 02, 2009 06:11PM

From the MSI website, it's not clear if the observation deck referred to was in existence from early in MSI's history, or was placed there specifically for viewing the U-505 installation. If it was a later placement, that would rule out MSI as the location of the photo from the time period (U-505 was first installed in the mid to late 1950's; I can't recall the date of the more recent moving). There are some 1920's-30's high-rise apartment buildings in East Hyde Park that would be visible from this angle at MSI, but the background in the photo is just murky enough so it's really hard to identify specific buildings.
But let me offer another location with an observation deck on South Michigan Avenue--the Auditorium building. There was an observation deck--I believe on the tower above the Auditorium theatre entrance rather than on the main roof. I have seen historic photos taken of and from the observation deck (but I don't remember where I've seen those photos--I will try to research it further).

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 04:43AM

I'm looking forward to the Auditorium info, but wasn't it on the west side of Michigan? Also - if you notice in that image, there is what appears to be a skylight next to the man.

I E-mailed the webmaster of one of the Eden Ahbez dedicated sites, and he told me no it is not him. I think it looks like him however. If that guy was as mysterious as I read, then perhaps it is. I don't know if the guy ever really preformed, or if he ever stayed in Chicago. Who else would walk around like that in the 40's or early 50's looking like Rasmussen unless he was a true beatnik.

Bruce

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 06:36PM

I too tried to find some information about the observation deck. Didn't find this one I don't think, but I did find out something interesting. In Dec 1957 there was an observation area on the 9th floor roof of the Edgewater Beach Hotel. It was a satellite tracking headquarters for Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan. They had 2 50ft long platforms each supporting 10 telescope stands.
If there is an observation deck, I usually have to climb up to it - that's why this held a special interest to me.

AD:

Date: October 03, 2009 07:11PM

The theater picture I believe may be either the Lamar or the Lake St Theater in Oak Park. The Lamar had both movies playing there on Oct 15 1940 and the Lake played them Oct 20 1940. I am leaning more toward the Lake though. They were both located on Lake St and Marion in Oak Park and the Wieboldt's store was at Lake and Harlem.

AD:

Date: October 03, 2009 07:19PM

With this observation deck thing - I used Google Earth and literally elevated to the top of the Field Museum, and looked at Michigan Avenue using their new 3D building feature. Though surly some of those buildings in the background are gone, you'd think at least ONE of them would be there. However, I also examined the Field Museum roof and it is all peaked except a flat area on both sides of the middle/main section of roof.

This guy is not that high up, and there is a park down below. That curved roof over the man's left shoulder looks like the roof of the Blackstone Hotel. I don't know.

I think looking at the MSI will be next.

Here are two tweaks of this image.

[

The lady who owns this image is born and raised in Chicago, and I would doubt this is some other city. If it is, I'll be a bit miffed.

As for the theater - O.K. now it is in Oak Park.

Bruce

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2009 07:31PM by Bruce.

AD:

Posted by: BWChicago (---.paws.uga.edu)
Date: October 05, 2009 05:00PM

Could the observation deck be at the Adler or Shedd?

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 25, 2009 12:31AM

The more I study it, the less I think it's Chicago. Notice that the leftmost prominent building seems to be at an acute angle to the row of buildings behind the man's shoulder. There are just very few place in Chicago like that. The leftmost building looks at first glance like the Congress Hotel, but nothing else even rings a bell. Another possibility is that the man is on board a ship. Could this be Battery Park in Manhattan?

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2009 12:47AM

Those do look like rails and a stanction from as ship. Perhaps it is a excursion or sightseeing vessel. I am not familiar with New York. The issue I am having is that this woman is giving me photos from an album where there are other photos from the same setting that weren't given to me. For instance, the beatnick with the beard above - she finally gave me two photos from the same setting and it is in an amusment park. Da! Why didn't I have those in the first place? What amusemnt Park? I'll post those too to get an opinion.

Bruce

AD:

Date: October 26, 2009 12:04AM

You know, I just had a thought and googled it to double-check. Could the guy with the beard standing by the supposed ticket booth be a picture taken at the House of David up in Benton Harbor Michigan? There were excursion boats that went across the lake back then to Benton Harbor. The House of David members were known for their long hair and beards. They maintained an amusement park, zoo and miniature train for the public to visit, not to mention the baseball team that they were known for all over.
That would explain the out of the ordinary hair (for the style of the day) and the possibility of a ticket booth.

AD:

Date: October 26, 2009 01:48AM

Thanks! That answered the photo of the beatnik - it was the House of David. I checked the web site and the other images she recently gave me are of kids on those motorized cars.

Bruce

AD:

Date: October 26, 2009 02:26AM

Great! Glad to be of help. I would love to see those other pictures, btw.

Still working on the guy in the hat and the fire though?

Beth

AD:

Date: October 26, 2009 03:29AM

Here they are - slam dunk my friend, and I shot the jpg's off to the David Museum also.

Bruce

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 08:19PM

Definitely not Hyde Park nor is it FMNH - there is (and never has been) any kind of observation deck, and the buildings on Michigan Avenue aren't that close - it looks like Lower Manhattan to me. Staten Island Ferry maybe? The only place it could have been was the old ped bridge over Southbound LSD but that was much lower than this vantage point.

The street photos look like they were taken by the street photographers (as my parents called them) who took snapshots and gave you their card and you could order the prints - at least up until the mid-60's...

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact