E 63rd Street

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: E 63rd Street
Posted by: Clutterqueen@icloud.com (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 12:49AM

There was the Jackson Park elevated train. I know there was another train station maybe Illinois Central....but I know Jackson Park ran to the loop & was underground subway then.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 12:59AM

Somewhere down around the east end of 63rd Street, I think maybe on Stony Island, was a VERY early McDonald's---had to be one of the first. An ad came in mailboxes. The regular price of a hamburger would be 15 cents but the opening special would be 12 cents. As my husband was a student we were super-poor but 12 cents was about at our economic level, so we went to our first McDonald's. I believe this was in 1956. Now here's another McDonald's memory. We had a neighbor who came from a wealthy family that knew how to make money and they advised him to borrow all he could from the University of Chicago, which I believe at that time charged 1% on a student loan, and put it all in McDonald's stock. I have often wondered how that came out. Well, I should imagine.

AD:

Posted by: Clutterqueen@icloud.com (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 01:23AM

I lived near 63rd & Cottage Grove. We never crossed Cottage Grove to the west side. It was like a line that divided the area..Whites lived & shopped on the East side and the Blacks lived West of Cottage Grove. I lived in this area in the 1940s til 1951. The entire area from Cottage Grove to Jackson Park at 62nd & Stony Island consisted of well maintained apartment buildings. There was not a single lone house that I saw in this neighborhood. The apartment buildings were maintained by janitors who daily emptied garbage & c,earned hallways. I lived in a courtyard building with 42 apartments. We had a janitor who lived with his wife in a basement apt....he was there 24 hours & took care of any problems. The streets were tree lined & well maintained. Almost every apt. On our street at 62nd & Drexel had at least one porch. We actually had both a back porch & front balcony. It was a safe place to live & we had everything we needed in this one mile area...theaters...restaurants....clothing stores....Jewelers etc. yet even as a 12 year old girl I felt safe shopping alone or going to a movie theater with a friend. I graduated from High School in 1951 & shortly after small crimes started to occur. The neighborhood was changing so we moved further East to South Shore. How this happened I don't know as I really loved living in such an interesting & convenient area. The end of my living on East 63rd Street.

AD:

Posted by: EricV (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 11:38AM

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 11:39AM by EricV.

AD:

Pages: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact