E 63rd Street

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: E 63rd Street
Posted by: WayOutWardell (199.101.76.---)
Date: October 08, 2014 03:07PM

Chistorian51 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check that last post, I was wrong! This is Great.
> http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dcd/pro
> vdrs/afford_hous/news/2014/jul/historic-strand-hot
> el-proposed-for-conversion-i-nto-affordable-a.html

Yep, the Strand Hotel (designed by the same architect as Wrigley Field) was originally part of a larger complex that was supposed to include a movie theater immediately to the south (tentatively called the Calumet Theater). The theater never materialized and the site was sold to Balaban & Katz who then built the Tivoli Theater.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Clutterqueen@icloud.com (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 03:30PM

Someone asked if anyone remembered the grocery part of Sears store at 63rd & Halsted ...it was Hillmans. This grocery part of Sears boasted many delicacies not found in the average grocery. My parents actually made the trip to 63rd & Halsted just to shop there.

AD:

Date: October 08, 2014 03:50PM

There were three dime stores on 63rd St. between Cottage Grove & Dorchester. Namely Scots, Woolworths, & Kresges. My favorite was Woolworth as their Ice cream sodas were great. There was a great candy store plus ice-cream parlor on 63rd just east of Cottage Grove called Mary Lees. It was rather expensive but they piled ice-cream high with a spatula kind of utensil. My favorite was maple nut....always adding chopped nuts & a maraschino cherry on top which made a simply delicious sundae. Today few places add nuts plus cherry on top. There was also a small counter type restaurant a couple door East called Canary Inn. I never ate there however the owners the Lamberts were neighbors. Mrs Lambert cooked soups for the business in her apt. kitchen. Sometimes we attended movie Theaters & their daughter came with..on these occasions Mrs Lambert would pack a huge paper bag with hamburgers & fries for all of us..usually about 4 of us kids. This was great as sometimes we would beat the movies for 3 or 4 hours.

AD:

Date: October 08, 2014 03:51PM

There were three dime stores on 63rd St. between Cottage Grove & Dorchester. Namely Scots, Woolworths, & Kresges. My favorite was Woolworth as their Ice cream sodas were great. There was a great candy store plus ice-cream parlor on 63rd just east of Cottage Grove called Mary Lees. It was rather expensive but they piled ice-cream high with a spatula kind of utensil. My favorite was maple nut....always adding chopped nuts & a maraschino cherry on top which made a simply delicious sundae. Today few places add nuts plus cherry on top. There was also a small counter type restaurant a couple door East called Canary Inn. I never ate there however the owners the Lamberts were neighbors. Mrs Lambert cooked soups for the business in her apt. kitchen. Sometimes we attended movie Theaters & their daughter came with..on these occasions Mrs Lambert would pack a huge paper bag with hamburgers & fries for all of us..usually about 4 of us kids. This was great as sometimes we would be at the theater for 3 or 4 hours!

AD:

Date: October 08, 2014 03:53PM

There were three dime stores on 63rd St. between Cottage Grove & Dorchester. Namely Scots, Woolworths, & Kresges. My favorite was Woolworth as their Ice cream sodas were great. There was a great candy store plus ice-cream parlor on 63rd just east of Cottage Grove called Mary Lees. It was rather expensive but they piled ice-cream high with a spatula kind of utensil. My favorite was maple nut....always adding chopped nuts & a maraschino cherry on top which made a simply delicious sundae. Today few places add nuts plus cherry on top. There was also a small counter type restaurant a couple door East called Canary Inn. I never ate there however the owners the Lamberts were neighbors. Mrs Lambert cooked soups for the business in her apt. kitchen. Sometimes we attended movie Theaters & their daughter came with..on these occasions Mrs Lambert would pack a huge paper bag with hamburgers & fries for all of us..usually about 4 of us kids. This was great as sometimes we would be at the theater for 3 or 4 hours! THIS MESSAGE WAS NEVER BEFORE POSTED! UPSET!!

AD:

Date: October 08, 2014 04:10PM

Does anyone remember a small cafe just East of Cottage Grove called The Canary Inn It consisted mostly of a huge U shaped counter. The owners The Lambert family were our neighbors. Mrs Lambert cooked soups for the business in her small apt. Kitchen. Often when we took her daughter with us to the movies she packed us a huge paper bag with hamburgers & fries. These treats were really appreciated as we spent 3 to 4 hours at the movies then...3 movies...cartoon...plus a serial on Saturdays.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (199.101.76.---)
Date: October 08, 2014 05:28PM

Clutterqueen - was it called Canary Den by chance? There's a photo of a building on 63rd & Drexel that has an ad for it on the rear wall.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/btUCVH] [/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/btUCVH]Phoenix Hotel, 63rd & Drexel, 1959[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/29821940@N00/]WayOutWardell[/url], on Flickr

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 08, 2014 06:33PM

Wasn't there a Hillman's in Block 37 too?

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-97.myvzw.com)
Date: October 08, 2014 10:17PM

davey7 Wrote:
> Wasn't there a Hillman's in Block 37 too?

Dunno about Block 37, but the Sears store on S. State Street had a Hillman's. My mother used to visit there after taking my sister to her ballet lessons at the Chicago Music College in Roosevelt University.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: October 11, 2014 05:26PM

As noted, Hillman's was in Sears on South State (the building that now houses Robert Morris University), but there was another grocery store within a larger building farther north in the Loop--that was Stop and Shop. I don't have a clear recollection of the building and location, but it's a good possibility that it was Block 37 (I'm pretty sure the store entrance faced Washington, so it could well have been on Block 37).

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 15, 2014 03:30PM

Elaine W Wrote:
> As noted, Hillman's was in Sears on South State
> (the building that now houses Robert Morris
> University), but there was another grocery store
> within a larger building farther north in the
> Loop--that was Stop and Shop. I don't have a clear
> recollection of the building and location, but
> it's a good possibility that it was Block 37 (I'm
> pretty sure the store entrance faced Washington,
> so it could well have been on Block 37).

Yes, the entrance was definitely on Washington. I think there was that crazy huge deli/meat market on the main floor.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: October 15, 2014 04:32PM

Hillman's also was located in the basement of the Sears at Six Corners for many years. After Hillman's closed down, Sears remodeled it to be their hardware department.

AD:

Date: January 07, 2015 03:42PM

Answer to WayOutArdell's comment regarding Canary Den restsurant just east of Cottage Grove on 63rd St. You are probably correct about the name. I lived just around the corner on 62nd & Drexel from 1940s to 1951. I wonder if you are the young boy I remembered whose Mother Marcella worked with my Mom at Woodlawn Hospital? It's worth questioning as not many remember this area who are still living & alert. I M now 81 & living in western suburbs.....but miss the city as it was so very much!

AD:

Date: January 07, 2015 03:44PM

Answer to WayOutArdell's comment regarding Canary Den restsurant just east of Cottage Grove on 63rd St. You are probably correct about the name. I lived just around the corner on 62nd & Drexel from 1940s to 1951. I wonder if you are the young boy I remembered whose Mother Marcella worked with my Mom at Woodlawn Hospital? It's worth questioning as not many remember this area who are still living & alert. I M now 81 & living in western suburbs.....but miss the city as it was so very much! THIS MESSAGE HAS NOT BEEN PREVIOUSLY POSTED!

AD:

Date: January 07, 2015 05:27PM

Reference querencia.........The elevated train that ran from Stony Island to downtown Chicago was the Jackson Park train....which I road often as Jackson Park was right at .63rd & StonyIsland.

AD:

Date: January 07, 2015 05:51PM

Re: WayOutWardell. The dance hall you referred to was there many years after I left the area....however I recognize the upper facade. It was years before the Maryland building. The ground floor housed The Maryland Theater....upper floors housed Medicsl offices etc. it was actually at 63rd & Maryland not Drexel which was on the north side of 63rd street.

AD:

Date: January 08, 2015 05:20PM

The Crown Lounge was on the Northeast corner of 63rd & Drexel in 1950". I see in WayOutWardell's photo it was later in the middle of the block. I lived on 6200 & Drexel block & passed this lounge every single day. The doors were on the corner & always open & music bursting out...plus the neon sign extended around the corner which lite up the entire area. We were happy about this as it made us feel safer when walking home after dark. The photo shown must have been 1960s or later.

AD:

Date: January 08, 2015 05:28PM

The Crown Lounge was on the Northeast corner of 63rd & Drexel in 1950". I see in WayOutWardell's photo it was later in the middle of the block. I lived on 6200 & Drexel block & passed this lounge every single day. The doors were on the corner & always open & music bursting out...plus the neon sign extended around the corner which lite up the entire area. We were happy about this as it made us feel safer when walking home after dark. The photo shown must have been 1969s or later.

AD:

Date: January 08, 2015 05:39PM

The Crown Lounge was on the Northeast corner of 63rd & Drexel in 1950". I see in WayOutWardell's photo it was later in the middle of the block. I lived on 6200 & Drexel block & passed this lounge every single day. The doors were on the corner & always open & music bursting out...plus the neon sign extended around the corner which lite up the entire area. We were happy about this as it made us feel safer when walking home after dark. The photo shown must have been 1969s or YOU HAVE DUPLICATED many messages so perhaps should check more thoroughly. This message is not being duplicated unless YOU have done so!

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 12:41AM

Does anyone remember what subway line had a station at E 63d and S University? I used to go to the Loop that way. The entrance was on the NW corner of the intersection. I've been thinking it was the Red Line but doesn't it runs west of there?

AD:

Current Page: 5 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact