State Street in the 1950's

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
State Street in the 1950's
Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2009 12:07AM

How many department stores there were on State Street in the 1950's! Marshall Fields at one end, Goldblatt's at the other, and in between Weibolts, Mandel Brothers, Carson Pirie Scott, Sears, and Montgomery Wards---and shortly before that there had also been The Boston Store and The Fair Store, before my time. Did I forget any? They had Notions departments, and a lot of household goods, and dress goods. Fields had an enormous toy department---seems as if it was a whole floor. And all the stores had bargain basements.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: State Street in the 1950's
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2009 01:29AM

I think Charles A. Stevens fell in between those stores. And on the other side of the street was Maurice Rothschild and Lyttons (mostly men's clothing). And don't forget all the shoe emporiums: Chandlers, O-Gees, Malings, Bakers--all one-story stores facing State St. In warm weather the cute, young salesmen would walk up to you on the sidewalk and try to get you into the store to try on a pair of shoes.

There were a few lower priced women's stores on the West side of State such as Three Sisters. Can you think of others?

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 08:21PM

Wasn't Baskin on State Street too? Not really on State, but Wabash was Capper & Capper, which closed around the mid-90s, a very posh store which closed just as I would have been able to shop there.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2009 11:07PM

A good mens clothing store named Karoll's was located in the Reliance building on the west side of State during the 50s. This business offered lively competition to Baskins, ML Rothschilds and others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 11:09PM by shoreline.

AD:

Posted by: MIKETOUHY (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 29, 2009 08:03PM

Karrols's actually existed up untill sometime into the 90's.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 30, 2009 01:37AM

I forgot about Peacock's (I think on Monroe and State). A very posh jewelry store that also sold art objects and fine china and silver. When it closed, State St. was in decline. I believe there was an entrance into the Palmer House.

I think there were 2 Woolworths; one on north State and one near the South end.

Also at the south end was the Lyon and Healy music emporium.

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:40PM

Long after Peacock's left State Street its brass door with the peacock stayed behind---it was there in the early 1990's. Does anyone know where it is now?

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:45AM

MIKETOUHY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Karrols's actually existed up untill sometime into
> the 90's.

One of Sam Karoll's grandchildren is a blogger who mixes family history with Chicago history. This post of his has photos of the three Karoll brothers who founded the business, Sam Karoll riding in a convertible with Jack Brickhouse in a State Street parade and more photos in other posts under the "family" category.Here's the link to his blog: http://bit.ly/bHoXSq

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:54AM

The brass doors from Peacocks have been restored and were installed inside the Palmer House Hotel just inside the Monroe Street entrance. These were installed during the hotel's recent renovation.

AD:

Posted by: s justice (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 01:06AM

What was the store at Randolph and State in the 1960's - 1970's that every other
week had a going out of business sign.

Carlo used to own the newspaper stand on the corner. There was a Auction place
across the street.

Skip

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 08:13PM

The Old Navy building was sold this summer and the scuttlebutt is that it may be eventually torn down for something taller, much like what was originally on the site.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2011 02:24AM

I think Peacock Jewelers had the distinction of being the oldest continuously operated retail establishment in Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: theseos (12.207.209.---)
Date: November 03, 2011 06:49PM

The Old Navy store is located on the site of the Columbus Memorial Building, which was built in 1893 and designed by William W. Boyington, who also designed the Water Tower and Pumphouse on Michigan Ave. The 15-story building in Renaisasance Revival style originally housed mainly medical offices and jewelers. It was torn down in 1959, but the large bronze statue of Columbus (originally displayed at the Columbian Exposition) over the main entrance on State Street was salvaged and moved to Arrigo Park. The Columbus Memorial building was replaced by small retail stores in the early 60s which in turn were razed for the Old Navy store which opened in 1998.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact