Bakeries

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bakeries
Posted by: querencia (---.c3-0.snb-ubr1.chi-snb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: July 30, 2012 02:51AM

To Elaine: Before 55th Street was redeveloped with the split street and the two big apartment buildings, it was a very busy commercials street with a lot of stores and businesses like dry cleaner's. There was an A&P next to St Thomas' Church. On the SE corner of 55th and University was Finnegan's Drug Store---its marble soda fountain counter is now in the Museum of Science and Industry as part of the Main Street of Yesterday. Cat-a-corner and west a door or two was The Compass, the bar where Mike Nichols & Elaine May, Shelley Berman, and other famous comedians got their start.

Back to bakeries. For some reason, they still exist on the South Side. I know of Racine Bakery and Weber's Bakery on S Archer 'way west and also Pticek's on S Narragansett just south of S Archer. Bobak's also carries bakery goods. This will always be Chicago as long as we can buy kolachkys and pierogies.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Erie St Danek (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 09:53PM

In the 50's and 60's my family always went to the El Bakery right under the el tracks on the 1700 block of Chicago Ave. My father was born in 1915 and raised on the 1800 block of Erie St. and after him and my mom married in 1938 and had us kids he followed his tradition to go to the El Bakery for our old country rye bread. I asked my mom once why we didn't go to the Hub Bakery and she said the El Bakery was better. El Bakery rye bread was fantastic! I have no idea how long they were in business before I came into the picture. After all of these years my sister a die hard baker and recipe inventor finally duplicated the El Bakery rye bread. She is an ace and I must say her recipe is right on the money. Every once in awhile I get a craving for this old country rye bread and I stir it up. By the way Goldblatts was just down the street and we shopped there often.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2012 10:11PM

Two bakeries located in the Avondale area in the '50s were Palace Bakery on Belmont and Monticello, and Crawford Bakery (I think that's the name) on the corner of Roscoe and Milauukee. We shopped at both.

Bakeries were packed on Saturdays years ago. Now you can get bakery quality breads and rolls and even party cakes at the supermarkets.

I think people started to limit bakery goods to holidays or special occasions only and are more diet conscious. Unless you jump on a fad like gourmet donuts or cupcakes, the bakery business is rough going.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2012 02:01PM

My opinion is the "quality" is not the same at supermarkets. There are still some quality bakeries hanging on like Reuters at Grand and Harlem. In my neighborhood in the 60's the bakeries were packed on Sunday after church. People, believe it or ot would actually walk to church as a family annd walk home stopping to pick up the newspaper and bakery goods.

AD:

Date: October 17, 2012 02:14PM

Kchi, I totally agree that supermarket goods don't compare to some of the best bakeries. People are just willing to settle for it.

We made many trips to Reuters even though it was a ways from home. Delicious baked goods.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 02:24PM

Fleurblue, I lived on roscoe at milwaukee but do not remember a bakery on the corner. Which corner?

AD:

Date: October 20, 2012 12:05AM

Zorchvalve, thanks for catching my mistake. I meant to say that the Crawford Bakery was located at the northeast corner of Milwaukee and School St. near Pulaski.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 03:03PM

Fleurblue, I didn't think it was a mistake, I just couldn't remember.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 03:30PM

My father worked for Signe Carlson Bakery on Foster Avenue after WWII and then Burney Bros. on Chicago Avenue from 1965 to when they closed. He worked at Thompson's Bakery in Norridge as well for 2 years just to get his 31 years in the union. Nothing like having fresh bread and cakes in the house as well.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 11:46AM

According to the book --- Oldest Chicago by David Anthony Witter --- the oldest bakery (still a bakery) Roeser's Bakery 3216 W. North Avenue (1911).

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2012 10:56PM

To All On the North Side Who Miss Bakeries: Good news. Bakeries are alive and well and living on the South Side in a bakery time warp. Drive or take the CTA 62 bus out South Archer beyond Midway Airport to 1) Pticek's Bakery, on S Narragansett about two doors south of S Archer; 2) Weber's Bakery, 7056 S Archer; 3) Racine Bakery, 6216 S Archer (this one is also a deli). All the good old stuff is here (coffee cakes, kolachkys, apple slices, ethnic breads) and prices are lower than anything I've seen on the Norh Side. Worth the trip: fill up your freezer. BTW bakeries named have websites.

AD:

Posted by: windycityaj (38.100.105.---)
Date: November 20, 2012 03:45PM

Does anyone remember a little bakery on Western by Howard called Swiss Pastries? The building is still there but it's been long gone. Good memories.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 05:21PM

Recall as a kid going with my aunt/uncle to a bakery on the northside..I think it was either Petersen or Devon...near Cicero/Central. It was names Johnson's or Johnston's. Had the greatest pies. Line used to be out the door on sundays...

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2012 05:37PM

Northsiders... Dinkels on Lincoln Ave. is alive and strong.
[url=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dinkels-Bakery/154207834602553]See them on Facebook[/url] for specials and sales too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 06:17PM by Lance Grey.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 28, 2012 07:31AM

[center][b][i][color=#FF0033][/color][/i][/b][/center]ROSENS BAKERY IN THE OLD NEIGHBORHOOD WAS MY FIRST JOB. I WAS SLICING RYE BREAD, MUST HAVE BEEN MAYBE 16 YEARS OLD.

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 09:53PM

This is amazing to read. I had never heard of "Monoxide Island" but I laughed out loud when I read "the apartment building in the middle of the street that you drive around". Before they split the street, which I think was shortly after 1960, 55th was a normal street with a lot of commerce. On the SE corner of 55th and Woodlawn was Finnegan's pharmacy. Its old-fashioned marble soda fountain counter is now in the Museum of Science and Industry---you can get an old-fashioned sundae there on weekends. Walking east and on the north side of 55th you came to St Thomas' Church and to the A&P, where I shopped every week. Back to Woodlawn and walking west, there was a bar called The Compass where a lot of famous comedians got their start, including Mike Nichols an Elaine May, and Shelley Berman, among others. Tw0 blocks north of 55th, 53rd was also commercial, moreso than now. At Woodlawn, NW corner, was a small dime store with an old lady attending who sat in there day in and day out. I remember the merchandise she sold and probably all of it is now collectible. As you walked east on 53rd the stores got bigger and more elegant. Some sold the latest fashion, Danish Modern furniture. The park that is there now, wasn't. The original Co-op was on 57th (that was 1953, 1954), and a drug store called Stern's with a tree outside where everybody hung messages, and a lot of bookstores, and a restaurant called Continental Gourmet where a 3-course dinner for two cost $5.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: January 01, 2013 10:16PM

Then there was a bakery to die for on Milwaukee Ave. called "GLADSTONE" which shut the doors about a couple years ago if i remember right. Around the holidays you could get paczki, all kinds of creamed cakes etc. etc. bapka, i cant beleve the stuff they had. I wonder why they closed, the neighborhood is still ok. Then down the street aways on Milwaukee and Lawrence is a pretty good bakery "IDEAL" but its not compared to "GLADSTONE".

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 04:53PM

@ continentalbill3@yahoo.com, My friend knew the owner of Gladstone Bakery very well. His father in law were very good friends with the owner of the Gladsone Bakery. They grew up together as kids. From what I remember, he lived right upstairs from the bakery and did not have any kids to leave the business to. He also did not want to sell it to anyone. I think it has been closed for quite a few years. I have had a lot of stuff from Gladstone but my father was a baker as well and I had my share at home.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 02:50PM

An excellent bakery still operating on the south side, is Wolfe's on 95th St, just west of Kedzie, in Evergreen Park.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 01, 2013 06:21PM

While not in Chicago, this bakery is (well) worth a mention. Located in the Hawthorn Mall in Vernon Hills, run by an order of French nuns.

http://www.strogerabbey.org/

All profits go to help the poor. I brought some of their bakery to work where a raised in Paris friend of mine said "it reminds me of being a kid in France". That was enough for me. They now have a regular customer.

AD:

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact