Westside Preparatory School

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Westside Preparatory School
Posted by: Lazer (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 10:44AM

From what I can find out online, it's only been closed for a year, but I still can't find the address of Westside Preparatory School - the Garfield Park school which was started in the 1970's by Marva Collins.

Does anyone know where it was located and what happened to their building?

Lazer

2009 goal: visit and document (blog and photos) all 77 Chicago community areas. http://77neighborhoods.blogspot.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 10:45AM by Lazer.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Westside Preparatory School
Posted by: Quartermaine56 (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 16, 2009 01:31AM

I had no idea the school had closed. Marva Collins did a wonderful job educating her students, she was a great teacher and it was sad to see her leave CPS, but after she open WSPS we all found a new respect for our fellow educator. I believe the school was located @ 8035 Honore Steet, Chicago, IL. Not sure if the building is still in place.

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: November 16, 2009 11:25PM

If 8035 Honore was the correct address, then it wasn't really on the west side but on the south side (Honore is a little past 1800 west, and this address would be 8000 south). Of course, there could be a discrepancy between the name and a new location; for example, the Old Town School of Folk Music hasn't actually been in Old Town for most of it's existence (it moved from Old Town to Lincoln Park and now to Lincoln Square).

AD:

Posted by: nvaughn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 11:50PM

There is a Marva Collins Prep. at that address: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=11076919883405139165&q=8035+S+Honore+St,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60620&hl=en&cd=2&cad=src:pplink&ei=Gw4CS8DtPIu4NqDJhPkL&sig2=AYZIuNsJiuYm39YUnt24AQ

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact