Dixie Cream Donuts

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Dixie Cream Donuts
Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 11:45PM

Does anybody remember Dixie Cream Donuts, South Side, fifty years ago? Absolutely the world's best. We used to eat them before we got home with them.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Dixie Cream Donuts
Posted by: Hawthorne House (---.cf-res.cfu.net)
Date: August 31, 2009 11:43AM

I don't remember them on the south side because I did not grow up there, but there were locations in Quincy, IL, Effingham, IL, Mount Vernon, IL, Fort Madison, IA, & Tuscola, IL. I am not sure how many are still open. I know the one in Fort Madison closed over 20 years ago, but I got them in Effingham about 6 years ago and Tuscola was still open..

Oh, by the way....best donuts ever.

AD:

Posted by: Hawthorne House (---.cf-res.cfu.net)
Date: August 31, 2009 11:51AM

A renaissance, perhaps...

http://www.chainleader.com/article/CA6615047.html

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2009 01:42PM

Location? I am a southsider and will know if you tell me where.

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2010 09:56PM

I think it was out on Western but am going on very old memory. We lived in Hyde Park in the 1950's and used to drive there. Just now I googled Dixie Cream Donuts and the company turns out to be alive and well and headquartered in Tulska OK. They are selling franchises. Please, somebody, open one in my neighborhood.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2010 12:56AM

I heard my parents talk about them all the time. They said that Amy Joy were close but still not as good as Dixie Cream. When Krispy Creme opened, my cousin said they also were close, but still not as good. I would love to find a location still open to try them for myself. They sound divine!

AD:

Posted by: Cholly (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 01:51AM

Back in the mid 1940's I used to drive to the Dixie Cream Donut shop on Stony Island Ave. Near 79th Street. to pick up a dozen or two. To me, they were much better than Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme. Inside the shop, you could watchthem dipping long rods loaded with doughnuts into the glaze. When you bought dooughnuts there, they were hot and fresh, and sooo good!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact