Bachleores Grove

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bachleores Grove
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 12:45AM

Anyone have stories about that cemetary? I do.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bachleores Grove
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 26, 2009 04:48PM

I was there on one of Richard Crowe's ghost tours--that's all I know of it. Do you know why they call it Bachelors Grove? or what the history of the place is?

AD:

Date: August 26, 2009 08:56PM

It was said that men who died working on digging the canal were from Germany and were all single men. They were buried there and that's how it got it's name. That's what I have heard anyway. I saw a house just west of the cemetary. A small frame house and never though anything about it. Then others saw it and others didn't see it. Last time I looked I didn't see it. It was the middle of the day when I saw the house. Did you see the house when you went there? The house is not a fable because I saw it.

AD:

Date: August 26, 2009 09:27PM

No, I didn't see the house. We were there on a rainy night and were told about a blue ball of light that people have seen which floats around the gravestones. Also sounds of babies crying or other voices. I remember our tour guide telling us about a house that seems to be there at times.

AD:

Date: August 26, 2009 11:09PM

Some young people were telling me about the house just recently. 143rd east of Ridgelend ave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 11:12PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: August 27, 2009 01:09AM

Here is a site that details the origin of Bachelor's Grove, a picture, and reports of paranormal activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor's_Grove_Cemetery

AD:

Posted by: Philomena (---.frstil.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 02:14AM

I went there in the 1970s, after hearing Richard Crowe on Eddie Schwartz radio show discussing it. I remember seeing a lot of vandalism. From there we went to Resurrection Cemetary. What is Richard Crowe up to these days?

AD:

Date: August 27, 2009 05:16PM

Not sure. In the recent past he appeared on the "Steve and Johnnie" show on WGN on or around Halloween time. He said he did investigations in Ireland and other places in the U.S.

I went on the original tour way back when. Crowe was urged by a Geography professor at DePaul to run a bus tour of haunted sites in the Chicago Area. Larry Lujak was on that tour. A friend who was editor of the DePaul student newspaper invited me and covered the story. The rest is history--Crowe made it his career.

Never saw a ghost but the tour was fun.

AD:

Posted by: gone2222 (64.241.37.---)
Date: July 19, 2010 08:12PM

A couple of years ago, on a dark night (What else?), a friend and I hiked back into the BG cemetery. When we got into the yard through the old fence a votive candle was burning on the grave of the little girl. All sorts of weird whoo-do stuff was on the stone, too -- toyes, heads of dolls, etc.

More interesting than the grave yard itself is to go a little further west into the forest preserve area beyond BG. There is the remains of an old well in the ground and a clearing where one can imagine some other strange things going on.

Didn't see any ghosts, but the area west of BG was very creepy.

AD:

Posted by: ChicagoJoe (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 08:56PM

Back in the 60’s I was there many times. You could drive up the road and park next to cemetery back then. The lake next to the cemetery always gave me the creeps. I later heard that the mop used the lake to dump their bodies back in 30’s and 40’s. Having a road next to a small lake make it easy for them to dump bodies.

I have been on a few of Richard Crowe’s ghost tours. He had a video that had a part about the mysterious ghost house sightings. Richard Crowe in my opinion is the most knowledge persons in the world on Bachelors Grove. I believe he still has a Bachelors Grove Tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 09:01PM by ChicagoJoe.

AD:

Posted by: gone2222 (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: July 20, 2010 10:21AM

I've been driving past BG almost every day since the early seventies, and no "ghost house" have I seen, though the area was part of a larger settlement that has faded into history.

Recall there used to be an old service station at the bend in the road on Midlothian Turnpike and Justamere Road, near Jack Gibbons.

It's odd, but I had no fear of spirits, but the strange-o ones that left the still burning votive candle raise the hairs on my neck.

The abandoned well and the clearing in the forest preserve remind me of the Blair Witch Project.

One time, as a prank, near Halloween, I was driving late at night just west of BG and all of a sudden there was a ghostly figure at the side of the road. With my heart in my throat I realized after passing it that some teenager was having some fun. But for a moment....

AD:

Posted by: kwilson55 (---.216.157.39.pool.hargray.net)
Date: October 06, 2010 12:17PM

My mother used to live on Long ave just a little ways down the road from Bachelor's grove in the 40's. The original old driveway was a lover's lane back then. She wasn't even aware that there were any ghost legends about the area until I told her about it in the 70's. She just said there was an old farm house at the end of the lane that an old man lived in and he used to scare them.

AD:

Date: October 06, 2010 06:22PM

[b]I saw that farm house at the end of the road in the 70's nothing spooky just a house. Later on it was gone. That was like the 70's. Other people said it came and went . That's all I know. Strange yes but supernatural I don't know. You tell me. People said they saw it after that.[/b]

AD:

Date: February 23, 2011 11:17PM

[b]If you look at the historic aeriels you will see two houses just a little south of the road. The one that is on top of the revine is the one that I saw that comes and goes.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 01:07PM

Sorry, but all the hub bub about Bachelors grove is NOTHING MORE than imaginations running wild. After doing extensive research and numerous BG visits, it became obvious to me that the only "mysterious" thing related to BG was the amazing power of urban legends and the overwhelming obsession of people to believe. . All the stories, "sightings", and so-called paranormal activity are bunk,urban legends that having been told, retold, re-retold seem to convince people that they're true. They're NOT. It's like all the TV "ghost shows", wander around in the dark in a place "noted" for it's hauntings, freak out at "unexplained" sounds, let their imaginations take over, etc, and in the end, offer absolutely NO PROOF of ANYTHING! EVPs?? B.S.!! Just another "tool" to justify their inadequacies. This of course wont stop the "Ghost Hunters" from milking this facade for all its worth, I'm sure Richard crowe has plenty of $ from his tours. Hey, cant blame a guy for catering to the gullibility of the masses. BG is nothing more than an abandoned, vandalised cemetary which owes its' "hauntedness" to nothing more than old ghost stories.

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 01:13PM

And honestly, as for "seeing" a house, I'd recommend having your eyes checked. See, THIS is what keeps the urban legends going, encouraging like minded people to "go to BG" and experience "the most haunted cemetary in the world"! Yeah? I've seen NO credible proof of ANYTHING going on,and the lack of any kind of credible facts bears this out. It's all a delusion. Crowe's laughing all the way to the bank,(or an all you can eat buffett!!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 11:02PM by HOLTANEK.

AD:

Date: March 16, 2011 10:59AM

[b]I don't know about anything spooky or creepy but I did see the house in the late 70's. I didn't go up to it but should have and that would end a lot of contriversy. It was near the edge of the revine and a little south on the road which was at one time the Midlothian turnpike that went and stopped at Ridgeland. That's what I know. No spooks. No doubt the house was taken down after I was there.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 12:14PM

Hate to bring this old tread back to life, but Bachleores Grove was on TV last night on Travel Channels' Ghost Adventures. Kind of cool to see something that we have discussed, on this tread and some others.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning Crazy (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 05:43PM

I agree with HOLTANEK. BG is NOT haunted. I was there. Okay, it was a warm sunny summer day but I found the cemetery to be a peaceful beautiful place. I do believe in ghosts, thats why I went there. I did not find this place to feel haunted at all. Its just a bunch of urban legend made up by a bunch of drunk or high partiers who frequent the place. BG littered with beer cans,and has been terribly vandalized over the years.

AD:

Posted by: dmr37 (74.10.105.---)
Date: October 10, 2012 06:15PM

R.I.P. Richard Crowe, famous Chicago Ghosthunter. He passed away June, 2012

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact