Old "Halloween Haunted Houses" around Chicago

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Old "Halloween Haunted Houses" around Chicago
Posted by: Christine (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 01:57PM

The Catholic schools and churches in Chicago ironically had the best and sometimes the scariest haunted houses in the city. My friends and I had a few favorites like Alvernia High School(closed in 1989) and St. Wenceslaus parish. Does anyone remember any other notable ones? The names escape me now.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old "Halloween Haunted Houses" around Chicago
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 05, 2009 05:34PM

I attended St. Wenceslaus grade school and Alvernia. Sometime in the 80's a St. Wenceslaus parishoner and his kids decided to construct a haunted house to raise money for the school (also closed now).

It was an elaborate maze with flashing lights and figures. It was pretty scary and was set up in an unused part of the school basement. I remember it drew a great crowd and probably made the parish a lot of money.

The sad and ironic part of the story is that this man collapsed of a massive heart attack shortly after Halloween. He was only middle aged and left a wife and several kids behind. It might have happened anyway, but I always thought the Halloween project was so much work, it may have precipitated it.

AD:

Posted by: Philomena (---.frstil.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2009 01:51AM

Amblings on North Avenue (Melrose Park?). In the 1960s, I'd go with my girlscout troop. I remember a dark corner with a ghost sitting & then jumping up scaring us. I still remember the fun.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: October 07, 2009 02:44PM

I too remember the Amlings haunted house on North Ave. I'd guess back in the 50s and 60s. The gorilla in the cage that reached out to grab you got me the most. I think my brother and I tried to get him to take our sister. ;-) Never worked.

AD:

Posted by: cid404 (---.disney.com)
Date: January 09, 2013 02:46PM

I remember the one called "Scream in the Dark" that Campus Life used to put on every Halloween (imagine these days a Christian Group putting on a Haunted House!!).

They used to get construction trailers and piece them together.

They put on a great show.....

The one I remember was in a vacant lot in Evergreen Park/Oak Lawn, right at 95th street and Pulaski, across from the Capitol Savings.

AD:

Posted by: David Richard (113.19.82.---)
Date: September 02, 2014 02:16AM

yes, I also remember The Massacre Haunted House. when I was 17 years old, I had gone to this place with my friend. Now It is a best horrible haunted house in Chicago. If you want to see the horrible videos of this haunted house, check out here:

http://www.fearthemassacre.com/

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact