Richard J. Daley International Trade Show

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Richard J. Daley International Trade Show
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2009 03:18AM

My parents took us to this in the early 60s. It was located on Navy Pier which was really nothing but a warehouse at the time.

We walked from the entrance to the end of the pier--there was nothing much there. A few primitive refreshment stands and counters along the sides where foreign vendors sold various items and some food samples.

I remember being disappointed because we didn't buy tickets for the water ski show at the end of the pier. It would have been the highlight of the day.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Richard J. Daley International Trade Show
Posted by: Tim (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 02:50PM

I think it was called the International Trade Fair and I worked in one of the booths (Brazil). At that time it was at McCormick Place. Have to assume it was the pre-fire original McCormick Place. Perhaps it moved to Navy Pier after the 1967 fire. A lot of tradeshows did after the fire.

I remember the ski show between McCormick and Meigs Field. Another highlight was the guy wearing the "jet pack." He'd light it up, rise maybe 100' or so and then fly forward for a few seconds before making a soft landing. Everyone was in awe.

AD:

Re: Richard J. Daley International Trade Show
Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2011 03:07AM

The first International Trade Fair was at Navy Pier in 1959. It inaugurated the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway.
I suppose they were at Navy Pier,because that was a commercial port. My family went to that fair,and I was pretty impressed
with it.
The fair was divided by country displaying their national products. There were lots of new foreign cars displayed,
airlines and ship models. Very colorful, I don't know if this was a yearly event, I went to a International trade fair in the later
sixties at the pier and it was just as you described. I suspect it was mostly local merchants drumming up business.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact