Golf Mill Shopping Center

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Golf Mill Shopping Center
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2009 01:08AM

Golf Mill is totally enclosed now. It was similar to Old Orchard years ago, open with garden areas. The enclosed mall makes sense in this climate and a new facelift and theater complex has been a plus. Having ample open parking is so much more appealing than the "parking garage" effect at Harlem & Irving.

Does anyone remember the Mill Run Theater at the north end? Theater in the round which attracted great acts back then like Tom Jones and Bob Newhart. Friends who lived a few blocks away saw many shows free by volunteering as ushers. It was a really nice theater; just the right size. I wonder why it closed.

BC

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Golf Mill Shopping Center
Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: July 21, 2009 05:27PM

I do remember that theater; I saw a Charlie Brown musical there when I was in grade school. There also was a great bowling alley/diner on the south end of the property that had fantastic mid-century architecture.

AD:

Posted by: Philomena (---.frstil.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 01:53AM

The theater was great. I saw Mitzie Gayner at the Mill Run.

In 1961 we went to an antique auto show in the parking lot. I have a picture of the water mill (Milwaukee Ave. side). Is it still there?

In the 1990s, the indoor water fountain closed. It used to be a good place to sit & relax a few minutes.

It began changing & there were many vacant stores, before I moved away.

AD:

Date: August 01, 2009 02:05AM

The theater was a great place to see top name entertainment. I remember the water wheel. (Golf Mill I guess was named after Golf Rd. and Milwaukee Ave.).

Nothing remains of the theater area since the north addition to Golf Mill Plaza was built. Kohl's, Target and many other smaller stores occupy the property.

The mall is actually pretty nice these days since the recent addition of a connected theater complex and complete remodeling of the mall.

AD:

Posted by: jessesgirl (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 11:32PM

I remember the Mill Run and also the Millionaires Club. The Millionaires Club gave you unlimited drinks with your meal. We were also underage! What a great place at the time. I took my Mom to see Johnny Mathis at the Mill Run. What great memories.

AD:

Date: August 06, 2009 12:55AM

Wow, I remember the "The Millionaire's Club" but not the details. Where was it located?

AD:

Posted by: jessesgirl (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2009 01:10AM

I am sure it was right next to the Mill Run. I believe it was attached to the shopping center at the very North corner. The food was not that great but it was very reasonable and free drinks. I think you had to have a membership card to get inside. I know my Mom had one. The name Millionaires Club was a complete misnomer. I think membership was very reasonable.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 11:33PM

Millionare's Club was for the NW side Middle class 'Rat Pack' era parents to go to. My aunt worked there as a waitress/hostess.

It survives mainly from location, since there is no other shopping for miles, and Old Orchard is upper class. But, I'd be willing to bet it will get de-malled as Randhurst and Brickyard have gotten.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 14, 2009 04:32AM

There was a Millionaire's Club in the Ford City Shopping Mall also. That is on the SW side of the city. My parents were members and I remember going there for dinner. I may be wrong, but seem to remember that they had a location downtown also.

AD:

Date: August 27, 2009 01:26AM

Here is an interesting article on the history of Golf Mill.

http://www.labelscar.com/illinois/golf-mill-shopping-center

AD:

Posted by: Philomena (---.frstil.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2009 02:06AM

Thanks Fleurblue for the article. Can't picture that area as farmland. My first recollection of the mall is attending an antique auto show, in 1961. When I had appointments inside the unique cylindrical office tower, walking throughout the mall was something to look forward to.

AD:

Posted by: Sterling (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 06:02PM

I saw Diana Ross Perform there right after she broke with the Superemes. My uncle was part of her pit orchestra.

William Kopke

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2014 02:04AM

There was a Millionaire's Club in Edgewater on the southwest corner of Granville and Broadway into the early 70's. Was it related to the other two spoken of here. Was the Millionaire's Club some sort of chain or gimmick of some sort?

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2014 04:01PM

Yes, Mill Run was also a good place for grade school field trips. Went there a couple of times, saw the Hobbit there.

They also had a movie theater at the other end, I think it's some X fitness store or something now, but back in the 70s, there was a big movie theater, had 3 big screens, balconies and in the lobby area they actually had an area where you could watch TV. I remember watching Return of the Jedi, at the midnight show, first night it opened.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: July 28, 2014 04:41PM

Isn't that a gas station now?

Mornac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a Millionaire's Club in Edgewater on the
> southwest corner of Granville and Broadway into
> the early 70's. Was it related to the other two
> spoken of here. Was the Millionaire's Club some
> sort of chain or gimmick of some sort?

AD:

Date: July 28, 2014 11:21PM

davey7 Wrote:
> Isn't that a gas station now?

--I remember that it lay fallow for a few years in the 70's until Wag's built a diner there. That was short-lived and may have become independant at some point. Eventually it closed and was torn down to make way for a Del Rey Farms grocery which was eventually transformed into an Osco. When CVS bought all of the free-standing Oscos it changed signs yet again. The CVS stands there today.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 01, 2014 03:13PM

Oh yeah, that's right, I knew there was a car centered business there. Duh.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 01:49PM

In the late 1970's where the Millionaire's Club in Edgewater on the
southwest corner of Granville and Broadway was a 'all you can eat' restaurant for a couple of years also. I don't recall the name.

Mornac, I believe that the Millionaire's Club Restaurants were all tied together. I was at the one in Golf Mill and Edgewater as a guest of my girlfriends family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 01:59PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Date: August 02, 2014 03:33PM

rjmachon Wrote:
> In the late 1970's where the Millionaire's Club in
> Edgewater on the
> southwest corner of Granville and Broadway was a
> 'all you can eat' restaurant for a couple of years
> also. I don't recall the name.
>
> Mornac, I believe that the Millionaire's Club
> Restaurants were all tied together. I was at the
> one in Golf Mill and Edgewater as a guest of my
> girlfriends family.

--I'd forgotten all about that place rj. I think it was called the Swedish Smorgasbord and it occupied the same building as the Millionaires Club before it was torn down. I remember going in there a couple of times with my friends and thinking that the fare wasn't all that impressive. But for teenage guys with little money and a big appetites, it was a deal.

I found [url=http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-09-30/news/8703130873_1_restaurant-owner-ribs-mr-carson]this obituary[/url] for the man who owned the Millionaires Club chain. Turns out to be the same guy who established Peter Pan hamburgers and Carson's Ribs.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 04:28PM

I can remember the theater very well. I remember seeing Eddie Rabitt there on May 4,1981. Really not a bad seat in the house. It only held 1,600 seats.

The Millrun Playhouse (aka Mill Run Theatre) closed yesterday, August 1,1984, 30 years ago. Are you kidding me? 30 years already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 04:46PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact