HIP (Harlem & Irving) Plaza

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: HIP (Harlem & Irving) Plaza
Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 09:28PM

How many remember the HIP area before it was built? The drive-in theatre across the street and Sonny's drive in next door to the theatre. Great set-ups for the drag races that came out of there.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2015 02:42PM

I can remember the drive-in but not Sonny's.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2015 07:04PM

Sonny's was on the north side of the theatre and still open in 1954
Geo.

AD:

Posted by: galaxy1990 (---.freds4mail.com)
Date: May 08, 2015 12:30AM

Have you wondered how some large number of seem to provide all the luck? Everything they do or touch seems to spend time visiting so smoothly and effortlessly. Makes you wonder what Could be the secret or perhaps it is often a gift that only a few possess from birth.

Using a [url=http://www.2k15sale.com/]http://www.2k15sale.com/[/url] which enables you to exercise a great way to shake your own routine. Using exercise games can provide you with fun while you are sweating, instead of getting discouraged from how tired feasible feel. If your attention one is more focused relating to the fun involving something, you will stick with them longer. Cat tower it's vital that keep exercise fun, because you won't be as associated with your body becoming depleted. This will allow you keep with it for an extended period of point.

Don King Boxing - A game for guys and you boxing nut products. Get on the Wii Balance Board in this one. Duck and dodge blows and throw counter punches with both hands, all while trying to maintain your center of balance on the Wii Balance Board. Aid players enter shape, [url=http://www.2k15sale.com/cheap-nba-2k15-xbox-one-mt.html]buy 2k15 mt xbox one[/url] worked closely with product sales . Don King and his staff to design a training portion of the game that mimics the routines through real boxer shorts. The training program can range from the Wii Balance Board, tracking players' progress and activity levels over time.

Haren is reminiscent of Greg Maddux in the sense that he is about as exciting for a bowl of Jell-O, yet he continuously put up great stats year-in and year-out. Discounting the first half of 2010, Haren has been rock steady with his ERA and xFIP in the past 4 seasons. This situation reason, he's never put up big Win totals despite amassing huge innings each year. He's very good but more or less not elite.

In anticipation of these weekends we had a little talk to Santanyerk before he saddled his Meek Grankers. The result, aside from an involuntary commitment to donating half his Christmas porridge, were 10 days of gift-wrapped Aion account reactivation, an excellent opportunity for friends with accounts in good standing who have been incorrect the [url=http://www.2k15sale.com/cheap-nba-2k15-ps4-mt.html]NBA 2k15 mt ps4[/url]!

The only thing that made us a little suspicious was you had to pay a membership fee begin."Why would they charge me to get results for them", Believed. So I then proceeded to attempt a little research towards the companies and discovered out that the place was legit additionally even had a sixty day money back guarantee which is backed from the bank that takes care of all transactions. I even read a few testimonials within a gaming forum about how happy folks were that joined and much money they were making at the same time.

In most recent announcement, the WWE said they will live stream the WWE 2K14 action forum on Friday like game designer and marketing manager walk fans through game play of might videogame. On Saturday, the "30 Numerous Wrestlemania" roster will be unveiled in its entirety by Jim Ross, Jerry "The King" Lawler and Damien Sandow. Finally, on Saturday night, there will be a symposium where WWE stars and legends look to their favorite Wrestlemania periods.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 07, 2015 05:29PM

1960/'61 would be the very first I went to HIP (outdoor) mall as a youngster. for whatever reasons my parents drove around town back then a lot because we didn't live anywhere nearby, and to tell you the truth I preferred us going to Golf Mill mall over HIP, both fairly new.

there was a small record shop at the north end of the mall I liked. Me and my friends ate at the Ground Round (usually my treat IIRC) with their old-timey keystone kops movies playing off an endless-loop film projector in the background. the outdoor drive-in theatre across harlem played X-rated films (mid-'70s) and one could catch a glimpse of the screen image from exactly the right point

nowadays there's absolutely no pleasure taken shopping @ HIP, looking for a parking space in their lot can be endless circling. I was waiting for the bank at the far north end to throw in the towel and convert to more mall stores/restaurants, and though it took a few years it finally did just that.

somebody in a previous FC post here mentioned The Grill @ the old walgreens (originally at the southern mall end) and I do remember that, and I seem to also recall that particular Walgreens was a 'clearance' store for the others in the chain

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: July 07, 2015 05:49PM

Before the Ground Round, the restaurant at the north end of the mall was a Howard Johnson's. Going there for the spaghetti dinner was a big deal for us when we were kids. I still have a model Howard Johnson's bank I got as some sort of giveaway as a kid. The restaurant was on the site of the current Kohl's. By the way, Talman/LaSalle did not throw in the towel. They were taken over by Bank of America, which in turn laid off scores of people in the area and replaced the two branches originally in the area with the small drivein at Harlem and Cullom. You can also thank Bank of America for cutting off the line of credit of Maurice Lenell Cookies, which lead to their demise. That bank has done so much for the neighborhood, giving all of that free time to former employees.

AD:

Date: July 07, 2015 07:12PM

I never said Talman/LaSalle bank per se 'threw in the towel'. the Maurice Lenell old lot is rubble

AD:

Date: July 08, 2015 08:07PM

The bank, Talman/LaSalle is now gone but the underground parking was salvaged.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (64.107.153.---)
Date: July 08, 2015 10:58PM

interesting to me a little what you say if true about underground parking @ HIP being salvaged, then the mall has streetlevel + rooftop + underground parking. boy does it ever need it IMO, every last square inch of that corner has been swallowed whole for all the commercial $$ an intersection could possibly be milked of

AD:

Date: July 09, 2015 02:33PM

You can see the entrance ramp to the lower level from Harlem. It looks like the new stores were built over the old Talman/LaSalle building which would leave the lower level of the old building intact as well. That bank was pretty new. It was built around 1978 with wide open floors. I guess if you would have put stores in it on the upper levels that they wouldn't do very well.

AD:

Date: July 09, 2015 02:51PM

I'm reminded of the Super-KMart right across Harlem there, in that recently 3 other K-Mart stores've closed--Ashland/Milwaukee, west Roosevelt in Forest Park, and Elston/Cicero. I shop at K-Marts and don't like the spectre of any others (like the one across Harlem) closing too. They can take their WalMarts and shove it.

AD:

Date: July 09, 2015 02:53PM

I had a friend who worked in that building, and the basement of the building extended far beyond the footprint of the building above ground. I remember the safe deposit boxes were down there, and there was also an employee cafeteria down there. If I remember correctly, the building was not all built in one stage. It originally was a one story building, a savings and loan (not Talman) the name of which escapes me, owned by the Bass brothers of Chicago. The upper stories were added later, which kind of accounts for the huge columns that were surrounding the building. I don't remember if the upper floors were built before or after the Talman takeover. Do you remember the nice German Salvation Army man that was always collecting at the back door?

AD:

Date: July 09, 2015 05:29PM

Was it American Savings Bank or something named Keystone, Dunning?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 05:39PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Date: July 09, 2015 06:48PM

Aaaah! Through the magic of the internet...Unity Savings!

Again, I am not sure if it's the same place, but there was a small S & L on the extreme south end of the mall, just south of the Walgreens that was there (the area today would be part of Target) and I think that got somehow merged into Unity also. Could the name of that have been American or Keystone? Somehow I remember "Northwestern." Dr. Fischer, who owned a good part of the mall, had his offices over that S & L.

Also, on an interesting note, I was talking with a guy at the gym the other day. He walks with a noticeable limp, and is exercising as part of rehab. We were just generally talking about the neighborhood, and he mentioned that he was one of the founders of Rolling Stone Records. He's no longer associated with them, but I found that rather interesting.

AD:

Date: July 09, 2015 06:57PM

Found this interesting article about Unity/Talman in the Chicago Tribune Archives of March 3, 1982..

Business ticker

FSLIC sues 5 ex-officers of Unity

The Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corp. filed suit Tuesday to block payment of $335,000 to five former officers of Unity Savings, a failed savings and loan association merged on Feb. 20 by federal regulators into Talman Home Federal Savings. The suit alleges that the five had arranged to receive payments from Unity through personal employment contracts upon Unity's failure. The defendants are } and Mitchell Bass, brothers who were Unity s president and executive vice president, respectively; Roland Frazier, also an executive vice president; and two senior vice presidents, Howard Harris and Anthony Grassi. The Basses allegedly were to receive $180,0O0 each, Frazier $73,000, and Harris and Grassi $28,000 each. Also named as defendants are Intercounty Title Co. of Illinois and Central National Bank in Chicago. Intercounty allegedly served as escrow agent for the money that ultimately was deposited in separate accounts at Central National. Under terms of the escrow, the funds could be dispersed on Thursday. The suit charges that the officers arranged for the payments even though both federal and state regulatory agencies denied requests on several occasions by the S&L's officers to etier into employment contracts before Unity's merger.: A hearing on the suit has been set for Federal District Court on Wednesday.

AD:

Date: July 14, 2015 08:03PM

Here's a picture of it before it was torn down! Talman/LaSalle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 08:06PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact