HIP (Harlem & Irving) Plaza

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: HIP (Harlem & Irving) Plaza
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 12:10PM

shekaago-

I think Lerner is out of business - their building, which was within site of the Howard El station, has been demolished (if I remember right). You might try another post, I know my journalist friends talk about working there as paying their dues. I think one of the queer eye guys worked for them.

Seems there should be a thread about neighborhood malls, like dead malls, but just for Chicago.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-211-178.myvzw.com)
Date: September 24, 2011 09:43PM

Thanks, davey7, you are right! Here's a link to a Wikipedia entry...
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lerner_Newspapers]Lerner Newspapers[/url]

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 12:49PM

Thanks shekago, I hadn't read that article before. I especially liked the staff being forced to pick apples.... Local papers often, from what I hear, especially the smaller ones, have lots of shenanigans from their publishers.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 25, 2012 05:16PM

I also grew up near the HIP and remember it back from the old days. Wieboldt's used to have a grocery department on the first floor, on the side where the corridor now must be, and they had the best pound cake in the world there. I remember the carnivals there, and I remember one year the prize was a not very well restored 1930's Rolls Royce. Wonder what ever happened to that car. Stark's Warehouse was across the street, where the Bank of America branch now sits, and that went down in a terrific fire years ago. The strip mall across the street used to house a Natonal Tea Store where Gap now sits, and the diamond store used to be Thom McAn Shoes. I also remember Grants, Woolworths, The Mister Shop, and Howard Johnson's that used to be where Kohl's now sits. Kiddieland used to be where the old Talman/LaSalle bank building now sits empty. Can't remember the name of the old savings and loan that built the bank, but I do remember it was owned by the Bass family until Talman took over. Kiddieland, however, had a wonderful Volkswagen pickup made up like a phoney firetruck, and they would come and pick you and your friends up for your birthday party there. What a great time!

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 08:18PM

Do you remember the HIP drive in. We use to park on the street next to the drive in on the east side and watch the movie until we got chase away. We used to go to Rolling Stone Records a lot as well. I loved going to the carvinal as well. I got stuck at the top of the ride one year for about 45 minutes. They also had Cook County mobile home park north of Irving on Harlem if I remember correctly. I use to hang out at the HIP as well because I lived at Irving and Nagle. I remember that the CTA busses didn't run to HIP either so we rode our bikes there until I started driving. I can't remember the call letters of the radio station on the corner of Irving and Harlem. What a great time in my life!

AD:

Posted by: FRANKIE C FROM GRAND AND HARLEM (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 08:00PM

I MARRIED A GIRL THAT USE TO WORK AT WALGREENS IN THE HIP.I USE TO GO TO THE HUB ROOLER RINK AND HELP THE GIRLS TAKE OFF THERE SKATES AN THEN ASK THEM TO DANCE BY THE JUKEBOX. CIRCA 57 58. WHEN KIDDELAND CLOSED ON HARLEM ,WE USE TO PLAY IN THE HAY LOFT.BEFORE THAT RODE MY BIKE SEARS SPECIAL,TO SONNY DRIVE IN AND ADMIRED THE CUSTOM CARS.

AD:

Posted by: FRANKIE C FROM GRAND AND HARLEM (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 02:43PM

I USE TO PLAY IN THE BRICKYARD AT DIVERSEY AND NARRAGANSETT IN THE 50'S. IT WAS A GARBAGE DUMP NOT DUMPING THERE ANY MORE. THE FULLERTON AVE SIDE WAS A BRICK YARD WHERE THEY MADE BRICKS.WE USE TO SHOOT RATS THERE WITH OUR BB GUNS AND ALSO LATER SCRAMBLE OUR 125 AND UP CC MOTORCYCLES UP THE MOUNTAIN FROM THE WATER.
LATER WHEN I WAS IN MY 20'S,THEY MADE IT A SKI RESORT WITH A LIFT AND ALCOHOL LOUNGE AND ALL FROM THE OLD BRICK YARD BUILDINGS.

AD:

Posted by: rjzak (---.lightspeed.nsvltn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 10:01PM

Speaking about area bands from Norridge, does anyone remember a local band from the 60's called the "Skeptors" (sp?)?? They all went to Ridgeway HS and they practiced in a garage across the street on Sunnyside Ave where we used to live

AD:

Posted by: Inner Prop (130.36.62.---)
Date: January 31, 2013 10:15AM

I remember we were outraged that they closed it in and refused to call it the HIP anymore. We called it the HIM (it wasn't a Plaza it was a Mall).

We used to ride our bikes from Kostner and Montrose to get our RPG fix or buy records at Rolling Stones nearby.

I once found the same LP for 3 different prices in Rolling Stones, in the alphabetical section, in the sale section and in the (something like) dollar section. You could go in there with $5 and come out with 3 LPs.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 07:19PM

It's still called HIP, on signs too.

In 1979 when Brickyard's enclosed mall opened, HIP was old news. But, they fought back and eventully won. Having Carson's take over Wieboldt as the anchor store helped, since Wards died and JC Penny is sinking.

Adding Target, Best Buy, and Kohls also enhanced it.

See, not all malls are 'dead'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 12:09AM by tomcat630.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: February 11, 2013 04:38PM

I believe that the Brickyard and HIP are owned by the same company. Dr. Fisher, who used to have offices over the Walgreens on the south end of the old plaza was a major investor in the plaza. I also pretty much avoid shopping there any more, there is little there that I would want as most of the clothing stores do not carry my size and are aimed toward younger people. There are no more bookstores, and the music stores don't carry my kind of music....

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (70.58.230.---)
Date: February 11, 2013 08:04PM

Dunning 1 --- Dr. Fisher was my doctor at one time. Small world!

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (70.58.230.---)
Date: March 21, 2013 06:46PM

Some interesting old photos of the Norridge and Harwood Heights area, including the HIP, from Eisenhower Public Library's Flickr photostream...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/eisenhowerpubliclibrary/8148742794/in/set-72157631914127104/]Photo of The "Old" HIP - Eisenhower Public Library's Flickr Photostream[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2013 06:49PM by shekaago.

AD:

Posted by: kapmeister (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 11:56PM

I worked at the walgreens in the HIP in 1992. They did have the conveyor that brought stock up from a basement right up to the sales floor. There was a lot of graffiti written on the conveyor wall from past employees. Does anyone know when that walgreens first opened?

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 02:15PM

I grew up in that area in 1973. There was also a Ground Round across the street from the mall and a bank Unity Savings, right next to the mall, they used to sponsor Oriole Park baseball, i still have a windbreaker jacket from them. Not too far from there was harlem foster mall, with a Jewel and Turn Style and a Jo Jos where Bakers Square is now, but my favorite part was the Just Games, which was right near the SS Kresges, had 10 games for a dollar in Tuesdays. I also remember in that little area near the bank and bakery, that would lead out the back of the mall, had a small Franskville there.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:27PM

That bank, Unity Savings is gone. It was just torn down. I can't remember the Ground Round but I remember the Denny's there. The JoJo's at Harlem and Foster is where I use to hang out all the time in the mid 1970's.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2015 04:13PM

Remember the Ground Round well as many other locations. They changed the atmosphere and their idea didn't last long. Harlem Irving also had the drive in theatre with flea markets on Sunday. It was across the street east of the HIP.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eisenhowerpubliclibrary/8148867274/in/photostream/

AD:

Posted by: Inner Prop (130.36.27.---)
Date: February 05, 2015 04:42PM

tomcat630 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's still called HIP, on signs too.

Oh, I know THEY still called it the HIP, but WE called it the HIM. Boy, we really knew how to stick it to the man back then, on our ten speeds.

Actually, now that I think of it I rode a fixed gear (WAAAAAY before it was cool).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 04:43PM by Inner Prop.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: February 05, 2015 05:26PM

Hey, I remember waaay back when the Ground Round was still a Howard Johnson's restaurant, and there were two big dime stores in the plaza, Woolworth's and W.T. Grant. I don't think any of the original stores are left any more. Kohl's was built on the site of the Howard Johnson's/Ground Round, and Kiddie Land was where the new north extension of the mall is located, the former site of LaSalle Bank/Talman Savings. Another interesting part of the mall was the Grill at Walgreens, which was in the extreme south end of the mall. It was a reasonable place to eat, slightly upmarket from the lunch counter at Woolworth's.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 01, 2015 09:24PM

I grew up near the old Maurice Lenell plant on Belmont just west of Kimball. That neighborhood enjoyed the smell back then, and there was a great hotdog stand right next door on the side of the gas station.

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact