The "Radio Show"

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
The "Radio Show"
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2009 09:31PM

Does any body know of the "Radio" Movie house on 50th pl. and S. Halstead? I used to go there with my folks in the late 30's and early 40's. The building is still there as a church.---Richard Stachowski

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The "Radio Show"
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2009 09:39PM

I don't remember this movie house but your question prompted an old memory going back to grade school days, particularly summers back then.

One of my favorite memories was trying out recipes in our kitchen and listening to Don McNeal's Breakfast Club. Something about marching around the breakfast table. The show was different and broadcast from atop of the Allerton Hotel. Good morning breakfast clubbers was the invitation. They featured various singers and other entertainment which I have forgotten now.

I listened to pop music on my transistor radio, and almost no daytime TV, but this program captured my imagination.

Anyone else remember it?

BC

AD:

Date: July 17, 2009 11:03PM

Yes every bit!

AD:

Posted by: marfair (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 11:46AM

Don Mc Neal's Breakfast Club was a listening staple in morning radio. I think that it was broadcast on WLS in Chicago, but was nationally syndicated. I recall hearing the program on the Armed Forces Network while overseas during the 60s.

AD:

Date: July 24, 2009 10:28PM

Does anybody remember the Radio Movie House on 50th Pl. & Halsted?

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 11:33PM

Richard,
A photograph of the Radio theater is for sale on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-original-8-x-10-glass-negative-RADIO-movie-THEATRE-THEATER-Chicago-IL-/271540735058?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item3f3916cc52

Rather pricey. Take a look at his other items, he has a few long gone Chicago movie theaters pictures.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 02:33PM

The same picture is in Cimena Treasures along with some pictures of the inside as it is today.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/1764

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2014 09:31PM

[b]Thew building is now a church. I went with my parents to see King Cong in the early 40's. [/b]

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: August 04, 2014 05:29PM

I never saw the Radio theatre, but the name reminds me of Radioland Liquors, at the corner of Kostner & Armitage. Whenever we would go over to visit my grandmother who lived on Lowell Avenue, my uncle would take us kids with us over to Agoranos Bros. Radioland Liquors on the corner there so he could have a short one and get away from all of the women talking. We were bribed with a big thing of ice cream to keep our mouths shut about our destination. When I think of it now, its kind of strange that a bar would have ice cream, but the place seemed to be much more of a family place than a bar would be today. My dad also had some cousins who ran an auto repair shop, Fritz Service Garage, in the back end of the shop. We kept going there for our car service until the two brothers retired to Florida, probably in the 1970's.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact