strange north side mound...American-Indian vestige?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
strange north side mound...American-Indian vestige?
Posted by: twaflyer1 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2015 06:19PM

Just North of Narragansett and long in Portage Park, there is short stretch of mound that parallels long Avenue! It only runs about 50-60 feet or So, and is visible as you travel North on Long just before Berteau, right in Portage Park!! Now it is known that a terminal moraine exists on Montrose just North of Narragansett, and runs North and South, and that Glacial retreats are known to have left large boulders from as far North as Canada, and those hills, or mounds, and are quite visible as you travel west on Montrose past Narragansett, but it is natural looking to me at least! But That hill or mound in Portage park is so deliniated, (Pardon bad spelling,) in size and structure, that it seems to be constructed by Man! Knowing that the Pottawatomie Indians lived throughout that North side area, I often wondered if it was a burial ground, and what lies beneath that small stretch of land as well? But because a Native European farmer owned that land for a number of early Chicago years, it just might have been an old garbage trench that built-up over the years! Who knows, maybe you do? I wonder if anyone has information on that particular structure?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: strange north side mound...American-Indian vestige?
Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 17, 2015 07:09PM

if it weren't for the following things....

you can't be north of Narragansett

you can't be north of Long

(they're both north-south streets themselves you see)

and there's no such place as Narraganssett & Long (in Portage Pork or anywhere else) because they don't intersect, both being parallel north-south streets

....I'm sure I could address your question

AD:

Posted by: twaflyer1 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2015 08:58PM

Pardon me! The mound is in Portage park, the Park itself, not the area! The mound can be seen Just North of Irving Pk. rd., on Long...just to the left before you hit Berteau! I jumbled it up quite a bit this time, but Portage Park at that point is known to all North siders! I shgould have re-read the post before I posted it...My mistake! Now, since you, the_mogra seems to know about things such as that mound, maybe you can explain it? Thanks...

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 28, 2015 11:15AM

the mound strikes me as a manmade berm

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact