Mystery about wife's relatives

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Mystery about wife's relatives
Posted by: KDAD (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: May 03, 2015 01:02PM

My wife's mother in March 1956 gave 7601 So Saginaw Chicago 43 Ill as her address. The mother was 14 at the time. That is now a vacant lot. We know nothing about my wife's mother...no childhood pictures, until yesterday we did not even know her parent's names. The mother died in 2002 and intimated that her parents might have been underworld figures.
Can anyone give us information on 7601 So Saginaw around March 1956? What kind of building, who lived there etc. Her last name was Vaile.
Thanks,
Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Mystery about wife's relatives
Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2015 05:00PM

You can check nearby churches for baptismal records. If she was a Catholic, she would have been baptised at one of [url=http://parishdirectory.archchicago.org/ParishList.aspx?sType=PA&sZIP=60649&sChoice=5]these three parishes.[/url] You might try local schools also.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2015 05:03PM

7601 was the Windsor Park Hotel in the mid 1950s.

AD:

Date: May 03, 2015 07:18PM

Thanks for the answers so far. Things are lining up the way my wife remembers her mother's stories.
Yes, she was Catholic and said that she went to Catholic boarding school during the week and came home to a hotel on weekends.
The mother was loved by everyone with her bright red hair and as a child would dance on the tables at the hotel where the crowd would give her nickels or quarters.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2015 11:04PM

I found a brief mention in the Tribune from 1949 about the sale of the hotel from one owner to another. It says that the hotel, which had 67 rooms, was 55 years old at the time and had been remodeled in 1944.

As far as the organized crime aspect of your story - South Shore was home to many crime figures, both well-known and less-so, so perhaps her recollections tie in with that in some way.

AD:

Date: May 07, 2015 10:58PM

Well things are really rolling along.My wife's mother was Marion Louise Vaile.
We found that her father's name was Emmett Farrell Vaile from the SS card applied for March 1956 when my wife's mother was 14. Then we found that the father Emmett died 2 months later in May 1956 at South Chicago Community Hospital (now Trinity Advocate) and was buried with other family in St Mary Cemetery and Mausoleum in Evergreen Park. My wife's grandmother is listed as Helen C Westen and with her we've hit a brick wall.
My wife's mother died in 2002 but we cannot get her birth certificate until she would have been 75...next July 2016.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2015 12:39AM by KDAD.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 08, 2015 06:11PM

Almost sounds like she remarried and didn't change her name somewhere (or common law marriage, more common than people realize) or something along those lines.

AD:

Date: May 13, 2015 12:34AM

Yes, something was definitely being hidden. We originally got Helen C Westen as the mother of Marion Louise Vaile from Marion's social security application made when Marion was 14. Now more paperwork from social security gives two more possible names for Marion's mother: Helen Robbins and Helen Robinson.The father's name was also listed once as Emmett Mcvaile on the last form. With the father we know him for sure to be Emmett Vaile.I have contacted the archdiocese and hope to learn more from them.Emmett was married at the time with three children and a wife; in fact his oldest daughter got married a year after Marion was born.
Stay tuned everbody.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (199.101.76.---)
Date: May 13, 2015 02:07AM

Check the Southtown Economist from December 1942 (via Newspapers.com) - there's a wedding announcement that mentions an Emmet Vaile, living on 61st Pl.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2015 02:13PM

This may be helpful:

Paul J. Cunningham in the Cook County, Illinois Marriage Index, 1930-1960

Name: Paul J. Cunningham
Marriage Date: 3 Mar 1959
Spouse: Marion L. Vaile
Marriage Location: Cook County, IL
Marriage license: {B72F6333-5E65-40D5-A8C8-115CE95CED72}
File Number: 2516942
Archive collection name: Cook County Genealogy Records (Marriages)
Archive repository location: Chicago, IL
Archive repository name: Cook County Clerk

found at Ancestry.com

http://www.ancestry.com/?o_xid=22775&o_lid=22775

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 02:48PM by nordsider.

AD:

Date: May 13, 2015 02:35PM

Thanks for the last two posts.
I have the clipping from the December 6, 1942 Southtown Economist.It did indeed refer to Emmett on the occasion of the marriage of Emmett's oldest daughter on November 27, 1942.
Paul J. Cunningham did indeed marry Marion (my wife's mother) when she was 17 and was the father of my wife's older sister.
We bought a copy of the marriage certificate and oddly enough Marion on it claimed to be 23.

AD:

Posted by: lee520 (---.administ.org)
Date: May 20, 2015 05:21AM

<P>10 rooms; from $437, including breakfast. The resort [url=http://www.shopsonv.com/][b]Billige Nike Sko[/b][/url] dangles on a slice of world class beach in Con Dao National [url=http://www.shopsonv.com/kvinner/nike-free-5-0-v4/][b]Nike Free Run 5.0 Dame[/b][/url] Park a 45 minute flight [url=http://www.shopsonv.com/][b]Billige Nike Free Run[/b][/url] from frenetic Ho Chi Minh City. Sustainability takes center stage, with [url=http://www.shopsonv.com/][b]Nike Free Run 3[/b][/url] initiatives including local and organic meals, no plastic water bottles, and nontoxic biodegradable cleaning products and amenities. </P>
<P></P>

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact