Washburn Trade School

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Washburn Trade School
Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2015 12:34AM

I was a student at Washburn, back in 1977. I took the auto mechanics class, for a full year of training,the class only cost one hundred and twenty five dollars. Washburn was part of the Chicago school system so the students had to live in city limits, I can still remember most of the students, from my group. We were from all parts of the city, but we all worked and learned together.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Washburn Trade School
Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 17, 2015 06:59PM

I took a welding class there in 1959. Seems to me it later became Cooley High School.?? Correct me.
Geo.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2015 02:46PM

A neighbor, Ed Wodniakowski, who lived a couple houses down, used to teach refrigeration at Washburne. He was a really nice man, I remember he showed me how to recharge the air conditioning on my 1973 Chrylser. He passed away quite a few years ago.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2015 06:15PM

@ Thimmaker, "The original Lane Tech became Cooley High School, and was eventually torn down". I read this in an article by,

The world's biggest high school
September 17, 2012
By: John R. Schmidt

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/john-r-schmidt/2012-09/worlds-biggest-high-school-102301

Cooley High, which sat on Division and Orleans until it was demolished in the 1980s

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 06:28PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 06:35AM

Was Washburn an alternative to high school or was it a post high school education ? Did Washburn close or move? I remember there was setto between Harold Washington and the Unions when he tried to pack the school with politico friends.

AD:

Date: April 19, 2015 02:34PM

Here's an article on Washburn Trade School from Forgotten Chicago.

http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/the-last-days-of-washburne/

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 03:51PM

Interesting name-changes. My father lived near Division & Orleans, and would have gone to Cooley (fmr. Lane). Somehow, he instead ended up at (new) Lane, but also took a few classes at Washburne on Division.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2015 02:30PM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting name-changes. My father lived near
> Division & Orleans, and would have gone to Cooley
> (fmr. Lane). Somehow, he instead ended up at
> (new) Lane, but also took a few classes at
> Washburne on Division.

My Dad attended the old Lane, and was a member briefly of the ROTC; he said that part of his uniform had to include a puttee "a strip of cloth for covering the lower part of the leg from the ankle to the knee;" in the World War 1 fashion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 02:31PM by nordsider.

AD:

Date: April 27, 2015 03:27PM

Another article I forgot to mention by, (some nice photos of the place as well)

The ruins and sundry of Washburne Trade School
Posted on September 1, 2014 by repowers2

https://achicagosojourn.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/the-ruins-and-sundry-of-washburne-trade-school/

AD:

Posted by: billienielsen (117.247.203.---)
Date: May 23, 2015 07:56AM

We need to work together to establish education strategies that enhance collaborative working along with profession specific skills to produce a highly skilled, proactive, and respectful work force focused on providing safe and effective health for patients and communities. Check our [url=http://www.clazwork.com/admission-uk-essay-writing-service-connor]admission essay writing service[/url] help for trade school.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact