My Memories of Reading and Libraries

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
My Memories of Reading and Libraries
Posted by: SouthSide41 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 20, 2015 01:47PM

Here is a blog posting about reading and libraries. My growing up on the South Sidde, Ogden Park, and the libraries.

http://memoriesofatime.com/2014/09/11/summer-reading-programs-in-love-with-libraries/

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: My Memories of Reading and Libraries
Posted by: chitransplant (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 06:29PM

I remember the library in Gads Hill Center on the 1900 block of Cullerton Street. I used my library card there a lot growing up in the Pilsen neighborhood from the 50's through the early 70's.

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: February 26, 2015 07:41PM

Did I miss a memo somewhere? Libraries are still active centers of the community in Chicago. The one I grew up visiting has certainly modernized, but my 1960's self would still feel at home there.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 08:56PM

Sherman Park library was my first. Some great memories of that place.

AD:

Posted by: Janet (117.247.126.---)
Date: March 18, 2015 04:53AM

I am a law graduate, we had to refer many books for academic. It was really golden age of my life. I have read many [url=http://www.clazwork.com/]law essay writing service[/url] books. In my reading list auto-biographies take back role. When I remember my college days, the indelible memories are belonging to the college library.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: March 18, 2015 01:20PM

First memory for this baby boomer is the Toman Branch Library located at 28th (ish) and Pulaski. The building I remember is gone, but I distinctly remember it "smelled" like a library. We walked there from more than a few blocks away. Hope kids are walking to the new library.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: March 18, 2015 04:58PM

The first public library we used was the Portage Park branch, which was located in a storefront on the south side of the 5300 block of West Irving Park Road. That was quite a haul from home for a young kid, so we were happy when the West Addison Branch opened up somewhat later. It was in a storefront in the 7500 Block of Addison. The store is now a tropical fish store. As we got older, I remember going down to the old main library at Michigan and Randolph, and getting lost in the old book stacks. If I remember correctly the floors were actually of very thick glass with metal frames and allowed light to filter through the stacks. What ever happened to the old GAR Musuem that used to be on the second floor? Going over to Pixley and Ehlers across the street after our homework as also a pleasure.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 08:24PM

My first library, in about the late 40s, was a branch library in a store front, located just east of Halsted on the north side of Fullerton. It was at this library that I checked out my very first book, written by L. Frank Baum. Thanks to one of my elementary school teachers who read a part of Baum's Wizard of Oz, shortly before the end of the school each day, to the rapt attention of every kid in her class.

AD:

Posted by: Robert Ford (117.247.126.---)
Date: April 09, 2015 02:56AM

Do you accept my gusest post in you blog ?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact