Old Edgebrook

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Old Edgebrook
Posted by: didi (---.neiu.edu)
Date: November 29, 2007 08:07PM

I love the feature on this. That section has some gorgeous homes which seems to be a hodgepodge of different styles that strangely all blend in well together.

By coincidence some years back a friend of mine was teaching me how to drive around the forest preserves in the area. She asked me to make a turn onto Louise and both of us thinking that it was just a continuation of the preserve were surprised to learn of the homes in existance in virtual seclusion.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Edgebrook
Posted by: chrism (---.chase.com)
Date: December 04, 2007 07:31PM

The girl I dated sr. year in highschool, 1997...her grandparents lived in the house at the end of Louise. Their back yard ran up to that path that leads back to the Devon/Caldwell/xx inetersection. It may have been the last pic with the side-driveway and bay windows at the front. I'm sending a link to her now. Very cool!

AD:

Posted by: hershey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 04:36PM

When I was in college way back when, I delivered mail to homes in Edgebrook. The layout of the streets could drive you mad. Two streets that were perpendicular to each other would both have an "N" on the street sign....that's not how it was in my old neighborhood, Rogers Park. The worst thing I remember delivering mail in Edgebrook and the surrounding area was the fact that most, if not all, homes had the Catholic newspaper delivered once a week. It made for a very heavy load. The post office in those days was on Kinzua and for some was not the most accessible....

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 08:24PM

Anyone recall the name of the restaurant on Caldwell (?) near the railroad tracks that served the giant ice cream sundaes? They might have been called Giant Killers. In the 60's they were $5.00 and were large enough for 5-6 people.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 08:37PM

That would have been Lockwood Castle at the northwest corner of Devon and Central. If you were able to eat the beast they put your photo on the wall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 09:50PM by shoreline.

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 10:07PM

I've been struggling to find that name for years. Thanks.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2010 10:08PM

The thing I liked about Lockwood Castle was they put sparklers on your ice cream sundaes.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact