Mr. Cub Ernie Banks

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Mr. Cub Ernie Banks
Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 12:56AM

I was just a kid,12 vears old , living on the southside of Chicago. Yeah , at that time ,I guess I was a Cubs fan. Channel 9, Ray Raynor highlights in the morning. Lead Off Man ,at 1 o clock, after The Bozo Show. The Sox were on channel 44,and the reception was pretty fuzzy. I remember watching Ernie hitting his 500th. home run,our teacher rolled in a television set into the classroom. Ernie Banks was a class guy to look up to... Thanks for the Great Chicago Memories.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Mr. Cub Ernie Banks
Posted by: woodman88 (---.dynamic.fuse.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 06:45AM

I lived on the northside and close enough to Wrigley Field to walk there. Ernie used to come to the ballpark in a nice Cadillac limosine and sometimes sign autographs if he had time. Jack Brickhouse used to show up in a rusty Ford. Back then Ernie,s play was the only thing to look forward to at a Cub game. Ernie had a lot of class, and a true love for the game.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2015 10:49PM

They had a couple of good years but more bad than good! 1969 and 1984 I can remember were pretty good years.

RIP Mr. Cub.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh (---.dc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2015 11:47PM

I met him several times. He was always a very cool guy to talk to. He never showed up with an ego. He was always just Ernie who loved baseball and liked to talk to the fans. I was sad to hear of his passing.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact