Another old time southsider seeking info

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Another old time southsider seeking info
Posted by: mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 05:53PM

Does anyone remember the name of the air strip on cicero where a military training flight crashed During WWII? year? Fred Schumaker I think owned it.

How about farmer Duff's vegtible stand on 83rd Street at Talman ave?

The gas company storage tank near 75th and Kedzie hit by another military flight trying to land at midway during WWII? Year? details?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Another old time southsider seeking info
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 08:48PM

That incident occurred on May 21, 1943. An Army Air Corp B-24 was on approach to Chicago Municipal Airport in a dense fog and it struck the storage facility located at 3625 W. 73rd, killing all aboard. I have no other details, and I wonder if the gas vessel was damaged/exploded or maybe the plane only hit the steel support structure. As noted below in another thread those gas holders would raise and lower depending on the volume needed.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 06:48PM

mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone remember the name of the air strip on
> cicero where a military training flight crashed
> During WWII? year? Fred Schumaker I think owned
> it.
>

Ashburn Flying Field...

this was discussed in the thread "where you grew up"
on this site, page 4

AD:

Posted by: mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2009 05:22PM

Can anyone tell me about the "Great Train Robbery" on the Grand Trunk at 89th Street and Central PARK avenue in Evergren Park? My folks talked of the funeral trains from Chicago to St. Mary's Cemetery, that stopped at this site, but I've heard that in the days of "Railroad Express" there was a notorius train robbery which occured at that site in the 1920s.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 05:47PM

If you google "Evergreen Park Train Robbery" you'll find all kinds of info

The Grand Trunk that passed thru Evergreen originated at Dearborn Station. The old St Mary's flag stop is where that robbery occcurred, around 90th on the east side of the cemetery, between Kedzie and Central Park. Evergreen Cemetery is now at that site.

A lot of the communties in the area had bars and restaurants that sprung up around cemetery drop off points from the city.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact