Madonna High School

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Madonna High School
Posted by: pkmirish (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 10:19PM

Does anyone know when Madonna High School was demolished? Madonna was an all girls Catholic high school located at Belmont and Pulaski...

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Madonna High School
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 12:25PM

User Banned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 04:08PM by appleuzer.

AD:

Date: February 02, 2009 04:51PM

User Banned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2009 04:08PM by appleuzer.

AD:

Posted by: ffd412 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:54PM

Just found this great site. I aggree with you about what happens when " the hood" changes. I & my brother went to St. Pats Class of 81 & 85.We spent a lot of time riding the #77 Belmont bus from Western to Austin everyday & these Catholic boys sure enjoyed passing Madonna. You got to love those plaid skirts.

AD:

Date: February 12, 2009 02:18PM

User Banned.

AD:

Posted by: ffd412 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 12, 2009 07:13PM

Your right about the change at GT. My daughter went there for Fros/Soph 03/04 & decided to move to Resurection for Jr/Sen. The fact that GT had just gone coed & the changeing neigborhood made her change her mind.The whole NW side has been changeing for the last 20 years.My neigbor here in Dwight, IL just moved here from the old Brickyard around Diversey & Oak Park.He was worried about rasing his 2 young kids there.My buddy who is on the CFD at Truck 58, Cicero & Belmont says you can see the change moving right up Pulaski,Cicero,Central & Austin.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (71.239.125.---)
Date: February 12, 2009 09:14PM

User Banned.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2009 01:59PM

Back in the '60's I attended Alvernia High School off of Irving Park, as did my younger sister. Were were by no means affluent and the tuition was well under $1,000 at the time. Any more and my parents would be unable to afford it.

We got an excellent education from the very forward-looking and thinking nuns. We hosted Dick Gregory, and other civil rights figures. The attitude was liberal and human rights oriented. I couldn't have had a better civic education. There was a definite spiritual atmosphere, but not a suffocating "religious" one.

The school is long gone but many graduates still gather for various functions. It's too bad these schools couldn't find a way to prosper. Although, I wonder if there are a shortage of nuns now as many took jobs outside of school and abandoned the convent for smaller apartments. Can't blame them; I always thought nuns were the slaves of the Catholic Church, working hard for no reward. Priests owned cars, took vacations, etc.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 05:18PM

As for Gordan Tech I think we beat them in football in the 1950's that was Tilden Tech south side public all boys school.

AD:

Posted by: Way Back (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 01:29AM

My sister went to Madonna. All I remember was her complining about a Sister Hugolene.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact