Chicago Tribune Archives online

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Chicago Tribune Archives online
Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2014 09:37PM

The Chicago public library has an online link to the Chicago Tribune Archives.
I'm not sure if you have to be a library member to access.

Here is the link

http://search.proquest.com.gatekeeper.chipublib.org/publicationbrowse/9CF64284D344195PQ/19?accountid=303#scrollTo

Some are listed under The Chicago Tribune and others as The Chicago Daily Tribune.

You can browse specific issues by date.

I found it easiest to select an issue by date,click one of the items,click on page view, click on a page and then click on "you can open with your PDF reader."\

Sorry about the link. Obviously you need to access a library account first.
FYI if you have a suburban library card with reciprocal borrowing priviledges you can also open a Chicago public library account with your local card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2014 11:46PM by Jayg.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago Tribune Archives online
Posted by: QlassiQue (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2014 04:19PM

The Chicago Tribune archives are invaluable for FC tours, articles, events, and presentations. Thanks for posting this.

Note that if you want to isolate what you are looking for, you can put quotations around it (") to only show results in that sequence. It's a good way to narrow down and address if you're searching for articles on your home, for example. You can also narrow results by using the "Specific Date Range" feature.

Also note that newspapers generally use abbreviations, especially in classified ads, to save ink. An address like 200 West Madison would often appear as "200 W. Madison". Additionally, some streets that do not have two directions (say north and south) were sometimes referred to by just the street name, such as 3600 North Broadway appearing in the paper as "3600 Broadway".

If anyone has any other search tips, please post!

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: August 06, 2014 09:52PM

I'm a librarian with the Chicago Public Library and let me say that the Tribune Historical Archive is one of my favorite.

QlassiQue has provided some very useful tips. Let me add that often things won't be picked up in a search due to a misspelling or an error in the scanning process. You often need to use a combination of trying different spellings for a word or narrowing it down by dates and or sections of the paper. Also, as with all searching, if you can't find any result using a long search string, try shortening the search making the search more general and you will get more results. Another useful tip is if you find a grainy photo in the archive often-times you can go tot the actual original microfilm, housed at the Harold Washington Library 400 S. State St., and get a clearer copy of a photo or diagram.

While you do need an active Chicago Public Library card to access the archive from home you can access it card free at any Chicago Public Library location. Also feel free to contact me on this site if you ever need a copy of an article as I have often sent article to users.

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2014 03:28AM

The other access link is
www.chipublic.org
http://www.chipublib.org

click on browse
click on online resources (under more)

I thought it was fascinating to be able to browse the whole page and click through the entire edition.

I hope one day the Sun Times and Chicago Daily News get a similar archival.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact