Englewood

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Englewood
Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2014 05:28PM

I grew up there and have wonderful memories of the area. Lived at 57th-Halsted from 1960-67, and can remember the firehouse at 5711 S Halsted, the Walgreens at 55th, the Dime Store, White's Hardware, Marx, the Byrne Building, Dangles Butchershop, Mahon's, John's Food And Liquor, which was in our building, the Modern Laundary, with it's huge smoke stack, the other firehouse down at 62nd, Visitation parish, Holmes school, etc.

Hope to hear from anyone else with Englewood memories.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Englewood
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2014 11:11PM

[b]Visitation High school was on 55th west of halsted. I used to meet my girlfried after school there in the early 50's[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 11:57PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: July 17, 2014 01:36AM

Actually Visitation HS was west of Halsted, closer to Morgan. The church and rectory were on the Englewood side of Garfield Blvd, while the schools and convent were on the New City side.

AD:

Date: July 17, 2014 11:58PM

[b]Thanks I didn't know that.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 20, 2015 02:38PM

Here are some of my memories from 1955-1959. PLease look at and follow my blog postings. That would be nice--and I have more stories posted once you get into it. :o)

http://memoriesofatime.com/2013/09/26/wonder-years-in-the-byrne-burns-building/

AD:

Date: February 20, 2015 08:48PM

I remember the Byrne building well. There was a coffee shop-ice cream parlor on the first floor, for some reason I thought it was called Pappas'. Chris Howe had a big garage in the alley there where he kept his gray and red garbage trucks.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 11:40PM

I worked in the Englewood district from 68 to 91 at the American Can Co. "CANCO" the big white elephant building at 6017 Western Ave.

AD:

Date: February 22, 2015 09:39PM

I believe American Can Co was in the Gage Park area.

AD:

Date: February 23, 2015 12:00AM

Our plant was called Englewood Plant 068. The west side of Western was the Gage Park area.

AD:

Date: February 23, 2015 12:18AM

[b][/b]SWEDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I worked in the Englewood district from 68 to 91
> at the American Can Co. "CANCO" the big white
> elephant building at 6017 Western Ave.

Did you know a guy named Mark Jobe who worked there?

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-67.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2016 09:13PM

Back to top,

AD:

Date: January 19, 2016 12:42AM

My buddy was a cop in the Englewood District. He had some real stories back then.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 19, 2016 02:20PM

Another interesting character to come out of Englewood was the evangelist A.W. Tozer. He was the pastor of a church at 65th and Loomis for years, and did not become famous for his writings until after he passed away. I believe the name of the church he pastored was the Englewood Alliance Church, but I am not sure. The church is still standing, but under a different name and congregation. In an interesting coincidence, my cousin, who moved up here from New Orleans a few years ago, used to work for Tozer's son in the Louisiana State land commission.

AD:

Date: January 19, 2016 05:11PM

How about Father Francis Lawlor from St Rita High School, he then came Father X Lawlor for his political views.

AD:

Date: January 19, 2016 05:18PM

The story about Tozer sticks out in my mind. I used to go to Moody Church, and knew an older gentleman, Charlie, who had been an usher at Moody Church since 1920. This is before the current building was built, and he used to usher at the old wooden tabernacle at North and Clark that the present building replaced in 1924. He remained an active usher until he passed away at 102 years old. In any event, he came here from Nova Scotia, never married, and worked at Montgomery Ward, and later Commonwealth Edison, and lived in YMCAs for most of his life. He would tell me how he would usher at Moody in the morning, then come home, rest a little, and listen to Tozer at night as he lived at the Englewood YMCA at the time.

AD:

Date: January 19, 2016 05:25PM

[b]Very interesting. I am still a regestered member of Moody Church. Was a s.s. supt years back[/b]

AD:

Date: January 19, 2016 06:53PM

Do you remember Charlie Matheson? He was my buddy. Also, Chris Tsakiridis, who was one of the elders, is one of my closest friends. Matter of fact we're having breakfast tomorrow.

AD:

Date: January 20, 2016 11:27PM

BTT

AD:

Date: January 21, 2016 04:37PM

BTT

AD:

Date: January 22, 2016 01:45PM

btt

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact