Cookies & Bakeries

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Cookies & Bakeries
Posted by: rrrebecca (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 11, 2014 09:17PM

Hi everyone, I'm working on a photography project about old school bakeries in Chicago that are [i]still[/i] open and serving delicious baked goods, specifically cookies. Would appreciate suggestions, old photos or any stories of favorites from whatever part of the city. Thanks! B)

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Cookies & Bakeries
Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2014 09:11PM

South Archer Avenue between Moody and Harlem has three time-warp Slavic bakeries--- Weber's has wonderful coffee cakes and such ethnic breads as Hoska. Racine Bakery is Lithuanian with many ryes and pumpernickels, Hoska, and bacon buns as well as an attractive deli section with homecooked foods. Pticek's (actually on S Narragansett just south of Archer) specializes in 12 flavors of kolachkys.

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 18, 2014 04:35PM

Try Dinkel's Bakery on Lincoln Avenue on the east side of the street just south of Roscoe. It's the old German neighborhood, though the ethnicity of the neighborhood seems to have changed to urban hipster now. Dinkel's looks the same as it did when I was a kid and everything is as good if not better than I remember. The chocolate chip cookies are fabulous but that adjective applies to everything in the store.
Check their website:

http://www.dinkels.com/

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2014 08:20PM

[bWeber's is tpos just like the old time backeries. ][/b]

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2014 03:57AM

Don"t forget Naples Bakery,95 st. Evergreen Park,And don"t forget there cannolis. Great Italian bakery from 69 th.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact