Fire in Lyons Destroys Old Hotel/Brewery

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Fire in Lyons Destroys Old Hotel/Brewery
Posted by: Sit and Stew (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 03:06PM

OK, so it isn't Chicago, but it is Cook County, and I was sad to hear what happened...

Another sad casualty of time and combustibles. The building is/was located at 3901 Joliet Avenue and had been empty for years. I am unable to find an accurate date of construction, but loopnet had it listed as 1870.

Originally a hotel, it was used as a brewery by the same George Hoffmann who built the Castle Tower a stones throw from it. The night I go to bed early without the scanner on of all things...

Here's to the past. :( I wonder if anything was salvageable?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Fire in Lyons Destroys Old Hotel/Brewery
Posted by: jd (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 02:46AM

Sorry, but according to the Sun-Times it has to be levelled because it is a safety hazard due to being next to the "youth batting cages".

[quote=A building thought to be Lyons’ oldest faced demolition Friday after an overnight fire left little but a charred shell. The teardown is the final chapter in the decline of the castle-like building, which was constructed in 1857, said Lyons Mayor Christopher Getty.][/quote]

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/23925394-418/historic-lyons-building-to-be-demolished-following-fire.html

AD:

Re: Fire in Lyons Destroys Old Hotel/Brewery
Posted by: Sit and Stew (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 08:51PM

I got all my info from the Tribune which was lacking. I know they knocked the shell down but I had no idea the building was that old.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact