Where I worked

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Where I worked
Posted by: Wes062344 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 24, 2013 02:35PM

Started at Grand Spaulding Dodge- Portage Chrysler/Plymouth and Loop Chrysler Plymouth. 60s- 80s

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Where I worked
Posted by: West Town (---.elgin.edu)
Date: November 08, 2013 01:02PM

In High school I started as a stock boy at the Oakley Pharmacy (Chicago & Oakley), then as an Andy Frain Usher. Graduating High School I worked at Weiboldt's, Schwinn Bicycle Co., Oscar Mayer & Co., Bankers Life & Casualty, Cragin Federal Savings, Which was bought out by LaSalle Bank and in turn Bank of America who laid me off (along with 6,000 other employees in Illinois and Michigan) after 22 years of service.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 06:16PM

I started as a stock boy at LaManna Pharmacy as well,(Damen and Berwyn). They had a soda fountain there which was great for me. Then I moved on to Ace Hardware as a stock boy on Clark Street.

AD:

Posted by: chitransplant (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2014 03:14PM

Worked part time at Harvey Lumber Yard on 22nd and Paulina when I was a sophmore and junior in highschool. Two days after I graduated from high school in 1970 I began working at Lakeside Press on 31st, west of California. It was minimum wage + a piece work differential. I packed paper products, applied shipping labels when required, stacked the full cartons on pallets and then moved them to the shipping staging area or to the back of the facility for storage. I worked there two years, part of the time on the 3:30 to midnight shift when I first started taking classes at Loyola University. The workers there were nice but many of the managers were real a***holes.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2014 01:35AM

My first job was with the Edgewater News Agency delivering the Daily News in the afternoons and eventually the Sun-Times and Tribune in the mornings. In high school I worked for Mid-West truck and trailer rental on north Clark Street. Then LaManna Pharmacy (apparently a short time after rjmachon was employed there). When I was 15 I was hired by the Dominick's at 6009 N Broadway and I stayed there through college. When I was growing up, I think I had family, friends, or acquaintances who worked at just about every business establishment in Edgewater.

AD:

Posted by: Rich Sustich (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2014 11:05PM

I started at 15 working for Sterns at their Colony, HiWay and Marquette Theatres on the SW side. When I was 18 I was "promoted" to manager and was at the HiWay when Deep Throat premiered. (It's a bit creepy when it's the same audience every night.)

After college at Northwestern, I worked at the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District for 28 years. All but my first year were spent on the streets (of managing crews) inspecting the city's vast industrial community and learning just a bit about the fascinating evolution of the city's water and sewer infrastructure.

After retiring from the District in 2004, in worked 8 years at UIUC managing the Center of Advanced Materials for the Purification of Water with Systems (WaterCAMPWS). Yes, campws is the Welsh spelling for campus.

As of now, I am an independent water policy and technology consultant who just can't seem to resist all things Forgotten Chicago!

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2014 11:07PM

[b]I delivered the Back of the Yards Journal news paper back in the late 40's. Went to TV service school and repaired TVs from 1957 until 2008. Worked for Rex TV for 22 years and had my own shop at Archer & Kedzie (Home TV Service.) I'm 78 now and retierd. Ran service calls all over the city & burbs.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 11:10PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 01:39PM

Me and my brother had a Chicago Today paper route back in 1969, our route was Marshfield and Paulina, 67th, to 69th St. Weekday paper 10 cents, sunday paper 25.cents, collecting money on Tusday night priceless.

AD:

Posted by: dmr37 (63.139.146.---)
Date: January 20, 2015 05:22PM

I worked at Meyers Super Foods at 59th and Kedzie

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 21, 2015 12:32PM

My first real job was slinging hot dogs in the Cafe Brauer refreshment stands in Lincoln Park. Man, that was years ago!

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 05:17PM

[b]I don't recall a super foods there/ About what address?[/b]

AD:

Posted by: dmr37 (63.139.146.---)
Date: January 21, 2015 06:55PM

Meyers was on the east side of Kedzie between 58th and 59th

AD:

Posted by: gglow (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2015 05:44PM

Started in high school at Star sales a wholesale house on the 1400 block of north
Milwaukee ave. in the mid '60's

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 11:31PM

Rich Sustich,

I'm sure you remember my brother Roger Swidron, Steve Duza and Terry. They all worked at the Colony during the 60's. My neighbor Bill Brogan and his son were the Maint. Enginers. You guys had the best popcorn and huge custard cones. Those were the good times. I remember Meyers Food store down the block and who can't forget Gerties.I

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 03:15PM

Dunning1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My first real job was slinging hot dogs in the
> Cafe Brauer refreshment stands in Lincoln Park.
> Man, that was years ago!

--I had some friends who lived on my street - all the guys in the family worked for Cafe Brauer from about age 13 through high school. They worked mostly at the boat house on the lagoon, occasionally at Webster beach, and often at the golf course at Montrose. In fact, one of them worked in the winter in the shack that the Park District set up at Montrose when they used to freeze the park between the Clock Tower and Lake Shore Drive for ice skating. When Cafe Brauer did some updating in the 1970's, one of my friends got a hold of about six of their old mechanical cash registers. They probably dated from the 1920's. They were about a foot wide and 18 inches high with the little tags that popped up in the window on top when you pushed on the keys. The highest key on the keyboard was $5 which was probably one of the reasons they were being taken out of commission. I got together with him on a scheme to re-furbish them and sell them to antiquers. We painted some of them with red Rust-o-leum and replaced the bakelite slabs on top of the drawer with pieces of marble. Needless to say, this all took away from the antique value of the things. We sold a couple (I forget how much we made but it was negligible) and the rest wasted away in the basement of the family's home until they were undoubtedly tossed when they sold the place in the 90's. Sure wish I had kept one.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 10:24PM

I have an old National Cash Register dated 1928 which only goes up to .50 cents. It's all original condition with a white marble plate and it's gold name plate on the front. It still works.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 03:47PM

in the '60s while in high school I took a Saturday & sunday job, low pay but I loved it

my hobby's been keeping aquariums of tropical fish, and this hobby has grown mostly, retrenched sometimes, over the years. the '60s was a time of growth for it, with new stores springing up over Chicago. so it was natural when I got my social security card for this kid to inquire about employment at this neighborhood 'fish store' or that. two were on Armitage Ave, first JOE's around central park and second LAUFER's around Kedzie

a guy named Gary Murphy ran a succession of 'fish' stores that I shopped at, first on Chicago Ave near Central, then on Fullerton near Long, finally the well-known (at the time) ULTRA-IN-TROPICS on North Ave around Long. It was Gary who finally responded in the affirmative when I asked about working @ ULTRA. He sent out a monthly mailing list to customers who left their addresses and this really drummed-up business for a time, so I had lots of fishes to net-out for customers over the weekend. This was so successful he expanded the already big store into the next storefront there, plus opened a 'branch' directly across North Ave called PICK-A-PET for more conventional pets besides fish. As I recall he and his wife Dot had a great many kids, and as a unrelated issue Gary then was known to be the local Scientology guru.

In the '70s Gary sold the ULTRA store and became fish dept. manager for a big pet enterprise in Elk Grove called NOAH'S ARK. Back in Chicago another store called GRAND AQUARIUM soon opened which I consider the successor to Gary's ULTRA. GRAND AQUARIUM enjoyed a good 25+ year run but likewise is gone now too.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact