Radar Calibration Tower

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Radar Calibration Tower
Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 21, 2015 05:59PM

I remember this odd structure from the early '80s, like a 'test section' of a concrete expressway. You'd gaze up at it and wonder 'is that a highway I can drive on?' but of course not, you can't even climb up there. It was very high, 40 ft up from fullerton. It stood out like a sore thumb in the area and for all it's prominence nobody really knew what it was, least of all me. And never used by the way. So now we know it was an old radar calibration tower, apparently long past its usefullness as such and nobody wanted to spend the considerable bucks to tear it down for decades. Then the shopping mall developers descended on the neighborhood and came to everybody's 'rescue' first by opening Brickyard (mid-'60s), and with its success adding on Bricktown (late-'80s) to the immediate south. It was the latter that finally succeeded in making this structure only the memory that it is today, and it's funny to me nobody seems to have a picture of it (here anyway).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 06:01PM by the_mogra.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2015 10:02PM

Didn't you see the pictures and article on this on page two of this thread? Here is the article on this by J.R. Schmidt.

http://www.wbez.org/blog/john-r-schmidt/2011-08-12/lost-landmark-grand-avenue-89980

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 23, 2015 11:44AM

if there was an earlier link I missed it, but thanks, that one image certainly is just as remembered. they sure built that thing to last, didn't they? lasted way past not only its original purposes but long past the point anybody nearby seemed to remember what it's for. a unique albatross, and it's good to have that image because otherwise people aren't going to believe there used to be a half-black long elevated 'roadway-to-nowhere' right there

AD:

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact