Pope John Paul Comes to Chicago 1979

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pope John Paul Comes to Chicago 1979
Posted by: s68563b (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2013 03:31AM

Remember the days in Oct. 1979, when Pope John Paul came to Chicago? Where were you, Did you see him? I saw him on 58th. and California, on his wy to Quiglt South.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Pope John Paul Comes to Chicago 1979
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2013 10:33AM

[b]He came to Five Holy Martyres Church on 43rd & Sacramento. There they put up an image in the parking lot where he said mass.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten (66.28.242.---)
Date: September 19, 2013 03:41PM

I saw him the night he arrived in Chicago at the Cardinal's mansion. I was visiting a friend in Old Town and we were watching his arrival on TV and realized how close we were. We ran like crazy through Lincoln Park and arrived in time to see him come out on the balcony and bless the people who were there.

A day or two later, I got to see his helicopter land in Lincoln Park and saw him get out. Then, again, he came out on the balcony and blessed all the people who were there.

One of the most important memories of my life.

AD:

Posted by: jd (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2013 03:49PM

Victoe Borge told this story on the Tonight show:

The afternon/ evening the Pope said Mass in Grant Park traffic all around downtown was a mess due to street closings and crowd control. Victor Borge had a show scheduled (and sold out months in advance) at Orchestra Hall. Almost nobody showed up for his sold out show. So he told Johnny that he was going to get back at the Pope by bringing a piano to St. Peter's Square on Easter. That'll show him!

AD:

Posted by: Mercer52 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2013 04:21PM

Also saw him at the Cardinal's mansion. People kept cheering and he finally motioned that he was tired and had to go to sleep!

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 19, 2013 08:35PM

I went to the Mass at Grant Park. I remember buying a salami sandwich at the Thorndale Deli before hopping on the L. I'll never forget the atmosphere that day. It was a rather atypical for Grant Park.

AD:

Posted by: Jim R. (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2013 03:45PM

A good friend of mine was with the Police dept. and was on the Pope's security team. He spent his whole visit with him. He has many photo's of the Pope.

AD:

Posted by: jd (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2013 12:42AM

If you want more info about the Pope in Grant Park, try contacting Michael Sneed @ the Sun-Times. She was in charge of the whole thing, because she was Jane Byrne's press secretary at the time. From what I've heard from cops and just about anybody who had to deal with working downtown during that hastily arranged Woodstock for the Worshippers, Sneed wasn't exactly "detail oriented", to put it nicely. (Logistic fiasco is more like it.)

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2013 08:03PM

If my memory serves me right, he drove thru the neighborhood just south of Milwaukee Ave. and Narraganset Ave.

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 09:11PM

I watched the Pope's Grant Park event from a high rise facing the park and took photos...it was an amazing crowd.

I also was a student at Five Holy Martyrs in the early sixties. our pastor was Aux. bishop Alfred Abramowicz, the roommate in Poland at the seminary with Karol Woltwa - aka Pope John Paul ii.

"Crazy Father Karol" as some of us very young students called him, should spend is annual summer, month long, sabbatical at FHM with his old friend Alfred.
He would play softball with us, eat in the cafeteria, sit and talk with groups of kids and was just a nice priest that was on sabbatical.
But some days, he would be walking and in another world, he didn't see anyone or hear anything, like he was in a trance....that's why some of us called him "crazy father Karol", because he was so very different that even children knew it.
Once, I saw him leaning out of his third floor room in the rectory, spitting, and watching the saliva fall...over and over, trancelike....

I owned my childhood home in the neighborhood when he came back as Pope. It was his first trip out of the Vatican, I remember it was only about a month after his election.
The mass he said at FHM was in the parking lot, a special Papal stage was built and is still there. People near the church parking lot build makeshift decks on the highly pitched roofs of their two flats and three flats to make viewing platforms. Some were forty feet off the ground!

I always wanted to make a coloring book of those days as a child with the Pope and call it "Me and the Pope" to tell children the story of knowing a living saint.

Life is amazing.

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2015 12:13PM

That's right, my grandmother lived on the little side street, Haft, where the Pope cut over from Nagle to Milwaukee. The Pope's security had to come and check out my grandmother's house earlier that day.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2015 02:43PM

My Dad saw him at 67th-California.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2015 01:26AM

Yes ,He road down California Ave. along Marquette Park to 71st. street, on his way to Quigley South, I recall he said mass at Quigley.

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 04:51PM

Hey, still have the lithograph of his visit from 1979 hanging in my house! big print, just very cool rememberance

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact