st. marys of mt. carmel church and school

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
st. marys of mt. carmel church and school
Posted by: gvirmond@aol.com (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 19, 2013 02:24PM

I weent to ST. mARYS SCHOOL AND CHURCH UNTIL THIRD GRADE AND LIVED AT 6741 SOUTH WOOD STREET UNTIL THEN ALSO. i KNOW THE THREE FLATE HS BEEN TORN DOWN SINCE THEN. REMEMBER MARIOS THE LITTLE STORE ON THE CORNER AND THE PENNY CANDY RIGHT IN FRONT O THE COUNTER, AND THAT WONDERFUL SHORT LITTLE LADY WITH THE DARK HIR IN BUN, SHE WAS ALWAYS SO NICE TO US KIDS. AND RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET THE HOUSE WWITH THE YARD THAT FACED TTHE STREET WITH THE ROCK GADREN WITH ALL THE BIRD HOUSE OUT OF ROCK PEBBLES AND WINDMILLS AND LIGHTS IN THE WINDOWS AT NIGHT. ALL THE CHURCH FESTIVIALS AND WHEN THEY BROUGHT THE STATUE OF MARY OUT AND PARRADD HER AROUND AND THE MUSSIC AND THE LIGHTS, SITING ON YOUR PORCH AT NIGHT AND JUST BEING FAMILES. MAN OH MAN, THOSE WERE WHEN PEOPLE WERE FREE TO BE PEOPLE, SO SAD THOSE DAYS EVEN THOUGH NOT PERFECT SEEMED TO BE. cARL, iS THE cHURCH THAT i LOVED, STILL THERE, ANY ONE HAE ANY PICTURE OF hER? CARL

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: st. marys of mt. carmel church and school
Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2013 05:00PM

I grew up there as well and have the same pleasant memories as you. We lived a few doors north of Louie George's parking lot. Somewhere in this forum is a thread about 69th & Wood. Great neighborhood and great memories. Unfortunately, you'd be risking life & limb if you took a ride there now....

AD:

Posted by: s68563b (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2013 04:33AM

I went to st Marys of Mt Carmel , and was n 8th grade in 1972. What a great neighborhood. My brother and I had a newspaper route from 67 th. and Marshfield to 69th. and Paulina ave. We were also alter The church had the bell on the south end of the church, near the rectory. We would have to pull a red chain to ring it.We moved there from st sibinas in 1967. Going from a big school to a 12 class room school. Until ,about 6th grade,we did not have gym class. they only offered a dance class with a lady they called Mrs Rita.The nuns would tke us outside to play 16 in. softball. Father Joe woul wander over and take a few pitches,One Mo,One Mo,The sister would have to make him give the bat back to the kid. Those few years had a big impact on my hole familyWe have great memories,and once in awhile will come across someone from St Mays.My youngest sister an I took our mother out to Melrose Park Our Lady of Mt.Carmel Feast, 2013, It was like old times again, The prosesion was beautiful,I would like to take my whole family there nxt year, like our parents did.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 12:48PM

I attended St. Mary of Mount Carmel in the late 50's thru 3rd grade. I vivedly recall my last teacher there, Sister Alagratzia (spelling?), getting most of the class going on a project then moving to the back of the classroom where she would repeat instructions in Italian to the handful of students new to this country. Sister Alagratzia was a Carmelite nun and one of the kindest teacher I ever had.

AD:

Posted by: Larry L (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 12:31PM

I attended St. Mary of Mt. Carmel and graduated in 1956. I lived in the apartment building next to the gas station on 69th and Wood. My grandmother lived on Wood between 69th and 68th.
I remember when they built the Gym onto the front of the school - that was a big deal in those times.
That was a great neighborhood and a great school - to bad its all gone.

AD:

Posted by: Mary Lou Bruhnke Kozub (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2013 06:12AM

My sons, all 7 of them went to St. Mary of Mt. Carmel. We lived at 6745 S. Winchester. My son Michael Placeres graduated from 8th grade there in 1972, the same year that s68563b. Who are you?? Jerry graduated in 1971 and went on to Quigley Prep School in 1972. The next boys were David Placeres, Robbie Placeres & Don Placeres. The last two were my stepsons. They were in 1st and 2nd grade. Johnny and Jimmy Kozub. My boys also had local paper routes. I am sure some of you know them! They would always have a 16" 3 corner ball game going on the street corners of 68th & Winchester. I sure hope someone is reading this post at this time. I don't see any activity since July of 2013. Where is everyone???

AD:

Posted by: s68563b (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 18, 2013 03:41AM

your son Michael was in my class, My name is Mike Basile We lived on Marquette Rd. One block east of the church, Down the block from the taylor shop. I have one older brother, class of1970, and two younger sisters. thay graduated from St clares on 55th. and Fairfield, after we moved . Those were great days back then,

Trivia Question .... After sister Deloris caught the boys in her 8th grade class,shooting spit balls, she handed out the punishment... we had to make how many spit balls with our initials inside, lesson learned

AD:

Posted by: Mary Lou Bruhnke Kozub (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 18, 2013 04:06AM

How exciting and thank you for contacting me. I will call Michael in the morning and let him know how to contact you! This is my private email if you would like to contact me.
mygrandkidsrgr8@sbcglobal.net

Michael is married and lives in Northern CA. He and his wife own a ranch in Newcastle, CA They have 2 granddaughters. We live in Southern CA.

Thank you again,
Mary Lou Kozub

AD:

Posted by: Gerald Olsen (222.127.75.---)
Date: September 20, 2013 04:30AM

I grew up at 67th and Wolcott on the northeast orner. There was an apartment building there. Don" know if its still there as I live far away in a different country now. I attended and graduated from St. Mary"s kindergarden in 1946 then went to O'Toole grammar school. What a fantastic place to grow up in. Those were the days.

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (75.115.202.---)
Date: October 14, 2013 02:23PM

I just joined this site. I will become lost in the memories of it all.

My heart is racing as I scan these postings. I do not wish I still lived there and then, but the memories I have are now being posted to my new blog.

Please look and follow.

What blows my mind? We will re-live together and make acquaintances.

James F. O'Neil
Seminole, Fla.

St. Justin Martyr 1955 "grad"
lived at 6720 S. Marshfield
then to 5509 S. Green

Quigley Prep 1955-1960

Moved to Des Plaines in 1959

Boy Scouts St Mary of Mount Carmel Troop 661...

my blog = http://memoriesofatime.com

Jim O'Neil QPS '60
DePaul '64, '66

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 13, 2014 09:43PM

Come join us for an Italian Fest in Mokena. I remember going to this fest 5o years ago and it was great. I have been going over the years to Chicago Ridge where it moved, and now we have it in Will County.July 23rd 2014. I was sent this from my sister,she found it in a Tinley Park newspaper. hope to see some old friends there.

AD:

Posted by: rnikischer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 29, 2014 10:12PM

Hi Mike;

Just saw your posting to me to check out this forum. I remember your brother Frank was in my class (1970). Frank was a very friendly soft-spoken classmate but a genuinely nice guy. Hope he and the rest of your family are doing well. I will have to remember the Italian Fest for next year, I can't wait to attend.

Ralph Nikischer

AD:

Posted by: gvirmond@aol.com (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 03:52PM

does any one remmber the little corner store called marios on the corner. A little store with penny candy under the front counter? with dots and flying saucer candies? and chunkies? oh and the little lady that worked there i think her name was maria. i loved that store and that lady so much. carl

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 08:03PM

I vaguely recall being there for a funeral mass in 1968 when I was 7. Wasn't there a very impressive painting of the Poor Souls in Purgatory above the main altar.

AD:

Posted by: Longford (---.c3-0.arm-ubr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 07, 2015 06:21PM

Until the mid-1960s I lived in the vicinity (several apartments) of 69th & Justine. We weren't/aren't Roman Catholic, but I attended the annual carnival/festival at St. Mary of Mt. Carmel and my Boy Scout troop met at the church.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2015 06:57PM

MARIO SENENSE AND HIS PARTNER OWNED THE GROCERY STORE ON 68TH ST SOUTH EAST CORNER.
SENESE AND MARTINO LAWYERS 69TH ASHLAND 1960.

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 20, 2015 01:27PM

I am still here, writing my blog about growing up in Chicago. I have already written about Saint Justing Martyr. While at 6720 S. Marshfield, I was in Troop 661, and had a paper route (which I have written about) from 69th and Loomis to 63rd and Elizabeth. Read me: Jim O'Neil http://www.memoriesofatime.com

AD:

Date: January 12, 2016 12:18AM

Just came across a old movie,the Singing Nun. What memories this movie can bing back.It came out in 1966, and the nuns at St Marys of Mt. Carmel loved it. The sound track of the movie became part of our music class. We would listen to a album on a phonograph. We all learned to sing along, some nuns could sing pretty good.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 12, 2016 01:27PM

AD:

Date: January 12, 2016 11:59PM

Thanks Dunning, this the topic that brought me to Forgotten Chicago.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact