St. Sabina's and nearby

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
St. Sabina's and nearby
Posted by: wayupnorth (---.open.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 27, 2013 01:07PM

Hi everyone,

I grew up in the 1960's around 79th and Ashland in St. Sabina's parish. It was a great place to live and a great place to be a kid. The neighborhood has changed greatly since then. As a result, I've been trying to recall all the business that were located between Ashland and Halsted and on 79th down to 87th or so. If you lived in or around St. Sabina's at that time, feel free to share what you remember about that time and place. Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: St. Sabina's and nearby
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2013 10:36PM

[b]I didn't live around there but I went roller skating on Sunday afternoons at the Planet Roller Rink in the 50's. I used to meet kids going to St. Sabinas skating on the Racine street car. So that's what I know about that area. [/b]

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2013 06:50PM

wayupnorth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everyone,
>
> I grew up in the 1960's around 79th and Ashland in
> St. Sabina's parish. It was a great place to live
> and a great place to be a kid. The neighborhood
> has changed greatly since then. As a result, I've
> been trying to recall all the business that were
> located between Ashland and Halsted and on 79th
> down to 87th or so. If you lived in or around St.
> Sabina's at that time, feel free to share what you
> remember about that time and place. Thanks in
> advance!

Boy that is tough. I grew up in St Basil's in the 50's and I mostly remember St. Sabina's for the grade school basketball tournaments. I didn't spend much time out that way, which was kind of the high rent district as far as we were concerned, until later on. The HIghland Show was at 79th and Ashland and therewas a tavern on 79th west of Ashland called the Wooden house. The only others I can think of, and they were kind of out of the area are Ray Colomb's and Melody Lane, both on 87th St.

AD:

Posted by: geffertz (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2013 08:45PM

I also grew in St. Sabina's parish (graduted 1963), and I remember a lot of businesses. Heading east from Ashland:

-The Highland Theater (on Ashland, just north of 79th)
-Walgreen's on the corner of 79th & Ashland
-The Lampost Restaurant (owned by the Lambos family who lived on my block)
-A Chinese takeout palce, I think called "George's"
-Havle's Toy store
-A Five & Dime store, but I don't remember which chain
-Gus Weiden's bakery
-A delicatessen on the corner of 79th & Bishop, don't remember the name
-West Highland Savings & Loan
-White Castle, on the corner of 79th & Loomis
-The Auburn branch of the public library, on the north side of 79th east
of Loomis
-Riley's Trick shop
-A local grocery store, south side of 79th, about Ada
-Drexel bakery
-The first laundromat I ever saw, about Throop St.

AD:

Date: March 01, 2013 01:02PM

Hey Geffertz,

I remember Walgreen's and the Highland, as well. (I remember going to the Highland for a cartoon marathon where you got in for dime.) The Lampost I can't place. Was that the place on Ashland between 80th and 81st? I think there was a diner on the north side of 79th at Justine, can't remember the name. The five and dime was on the south side of 79th at the corner of Laflin and was called Barnett's. We lived on 80th and Laflin, so I remember going to Weiden's well. The deli was on the southwest corner of 79th and Bishop maybe? I think there was a dry goods store on the southeast corner. Further down, was Blake and Lamb funeral home, next to the White Castle. There was a bar next to Blake and Lamb too. I remember because all of the men would slip off to the bar when there was a wake. I can't remember what was across from White Castle on the north side of 79th. Why am I thinking ice skating rink? The Auburn library I remember well. Riley's trick shop I remember at another location, out of the neighborhood. Where was it on 79th? Our family always went to Weiden's, so Drexel's was foreign turf. I remember Tony Lazara's barber shop in that neck of the woods, by Drexel's, cause I went with my Dad every Saturday or a haircut there. Curley's funeral home was down toward's Racine as well, near Elizabeth. Thanks for the memories!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 02:57PM by wayupnorth.

AD:

Date: March 01, 2013 07:09PM

I went to the dentist in the building at 79th and Ada, and would often visit the White Castle afterward. Wasn't the bar referred to wayupnorth Hanley's House of Happiness?

AD:

Date: March 01, 2013 07:38PM

wayuupnorth-

I was also amoung those screaming kids at the "101 Cartoons" matinees. What great Satrudays! Upon reflection, I do think that the Lampost was on Ashland, just south of 79th, east side of the street.

Riley's was between Ada and May, south side of 79th. It's kind of amazing how vivid my memories are of the places that were important to me, but there are obviously a lot of holes in my memory. I'm fairly sure there was a butcher shop in the same block as Weiden's, but my memory is hazy on that one.

We were mostly fans of Weiden's over Drexel's also. I can remember being sent to Weiden's for bread and sneaking a warm slice out of the bag on my way home. I did have a cake from Drexel's for my confirmation

I don't remember the names of the bars, but there were two or three. The grownups on my block talked about one they didn't go to because "it's full of greenies".

AD:

Date: March 03, 2013 12:56PM

Hey jak,

Yup, you're right, that bar was Hanley's House of Happiness. Never would have remembered that without you.

geffertz,

I'm not sure about the butcher near Weiden's either. For some reason, I remember a small grocery on that block. I do remember a butcher that my mother frequented on the east side of Ashland between 81st and 82nd. I used to love going there because the floor was covered in sawdust. By the way, I discover that Jim Riley, the son of the original Riley of Riley's Trick Shop, has a book about growing up in Sabina's. Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Oh-Really-Riley-Rileys-ebook/dp/B004DNWK30/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362279807&sr=8-2&keywords=Oh+Really%2C+Riley%3F%3A+The+Story+of+Riley%27s+Trick+Shop+and+the+Family+Behind+It

AD:

Date: March 15, 2013 07:23PM

Thanks for the top on that book. I'll download it.

AD:

Posted by: rufheil (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2013 10:12PM

gefertz I believe your first name is Glenn. You lived at 76th and Bishop. Across the street from Dick Barth. St. Sabina class of 1963 is having a 50th reunion in August or September of this year. They are looking for you. Contact Sandra Martin for details.Sandra0203@aol.com

AD:

Date: April 19, 2013 12:15AM

rufheil-

You are correct, that's me.Thanks for the info, I'll e-mail her.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2013 01:18PM

Wayupnorth, check the 1929 Polk directory online for a complete list of businesses by address. I have a 1957 Reverse directory, if I have a chance will check. But let me know what exact address range you would like.

AD:

Date: April 20, 2013 02:20PM

Supposedly the original Southside St. Patrick's Day parade, that was held on 79th Street came from the patrons at Hanley's. Supposedly many of them decided, very late the night before, to go out and paint the stipe in the middle of the street green. They paraded, hungover, the next day, and the rest is history.

This may be apocryphal, but I heard it from several people when Hanley's was still there.

AD:

Posted by: wayupnorth (---.static.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2013 07:22PM

Rustymuscle - Thanks for the offer, sent you a PM.

Jak - I think the story is probably true. Hanley's was, IIRC, one of the principle places for Irish music at the time, and the original Southside St Patrick's Day parade was held in Sabina's, so it makes sense that the whole thing was conceived over a couple of "jars" at Hanley's.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 10:40PM

HaHaHa! My dad talked about Hanley's and he was also involved with the parade both the 79th st one and then when it moved downtown. So, it could very well be true or at least have some truth to the theory.

AD:

Posted by: s68563b (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 02:39AM

we lived on 79th & Elizibeth, Bulko gas station on the corner, vacant lot, ben franklin dime stoe,and a drug stor on the corner of Racine. There was a grocery store a few blocks west called Seymores. I remember a shoe store on the corner of 79th ashland, on the southeast corner, thay had two floors and a slide from the second to the main floor.Does anyone else remember this, or did I bum my head on my last ride down???

AD:

Posted by: Greenough (---.krypt.com)
Date: July 13, 2013 03:44AM

It will likely be challenging yet we realize you're as much as this.Re-decorating the perfect time to send encourages to the clans or even players there is a score to settle using.

[url=http://www.mmorsgp.com]cheapest rs gold[/url]
[url=http://www.mmorsgp.com/Runescape-Rs3-gold.html]runescape power leveling[/url]

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (75.115.202.---)
Date: October 14, 2013 03:19PM

Nearby:

I lived at 67th and Marshfield. My dear classmate, Gene Parker, was from Sabina's. We attended Quigley together, 1955-1960. He has since passed away.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2014 10:46PM

next to the rectory, there we a fenced in playlot, along Racine Ave. It was called the priest play ground. Never saw any priest out there. We lived on 79 th. and Elizabeth Ave, across the alley from the Bulko gas station. We would walk to the play ground with our dad. We moved out after the blizzard in 1967,it was a long time ago, but I have many memories of that neighborhood.

AD:

Posted by: TomH (147.126.81.---)
Date: September 25, 2014 02:34PM

In the 1940s and 50s, starting at 79th and Racine and going west, on the south side of 79th Street was a drug store on the southwest corner. A few doors west of that was an upscale women’s clothing store, The Mayfair. Then there was a large prairie for the rest of the block all the way to Elizabeth Street. Across Elizabeth was Dressel’s, a large upscale bakery, on the corner. In the early days at least, there was a small grocery store near that. A few doors down was Dan Curley’s funeral parlor. About halfway down the block was Spanninger’s, a small but friendly bakery (unlike Dressel’s). Near that was a butcher shop, perhaps named Ed’s. Then there was a large tavern, the Old Bear. Next to that was Tony’s barber shop and then a beauty shop. Next, at the southeast corner of Throop Street, was Anderson’s (formerly Koner’s) drug store.

On the north side of 79th Street, again going west from Racine, there was Delite on the northwest corner; this was a great ice cream parlor. A few doors west of that (after a few small stores) was a large grocery store, perhaps a National Tea. There may have been an empty lot next to that. (Elizabeth Street dead-ended at 79th Street and didn’t go through across to the north side of the street.) At the next corner, the northeast corner of Throop Street, was a shoe store.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact