Ice Cream and Candy Shoppes

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Ice Cream and Candy Shoppes
Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 01:34PM

Jd 6716 wrote:

Does anyone remember Carr's ice cream at about 60th and Kedzie. Terrific malts-I'm talking 1950's.Across from Gerties was the Pioneer Tavern and a cigar shop on the corner and Jim's coins on the other side.I lived at 58th and Springfield from 1940-1969, Marquette theater 25 cartoons for a quarter. Little eddies for hamburgers, On 60 th and Pulaski there was a record shop NW corner, we would buy our 45's and pickup the top 50 list.Does anyone remember the store. I remember Rex TV.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jd I lived at 55th and Komensky. I remeber all theses places. I use to buy my saxaphone reeds at the music shop. We had a 4 piece rock and roll band back then early 60's. Little Eddies was our favorite for hot dogs. Later in the 70's my cousin bought into Little Eddies the one on 71st St and the one on Harlem. Late in the 70's I had three hot dog trucks that would roam the parks and various businesses.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: ajl (---.lightspeed.sndgca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 01, 2015 06:38PM

Sweetland, on North Avenue at the corner of Karlov which was next to the Tiffin Theater was our favorite. Jim S. the owner made his own ice cream and candies. Jim currently in his 90s, still, to this date, lives in the northwest suburban area. They also served great sandwiches. Jim's nephew Nick, from Grease, worked alongside him for many years as did my sister Laura. My wife and I met in Sweetland and were married (1968), as were many of our friends. For many years my friend Louie and I alternately sold papers at the front of the Tiffin. Was so sad when Sweetland and the Tiffin were torn down as we retain many happy memories of our years "hanging out" at Sweetland.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2015 07:32PM

I can remember So White Dunning1. I was there a few times. If I can find that picture of the place, I will post the location. They never did pave the parking lot lot did they? Gravel right?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2015 10:18PM

ajl-You are making me very jealous. Our family doctor, Dr. Jacobs, was located in the Tiffin Theater building, up that long flight of stairs and he had the last couple of offices on the east side of the building. I must have walked past Sweetland thousands of times, but all I ever got when we visited the doctor was a cherry Coke from Sweetland. Dr. Jacobs's nurse, Lucille, used to love cherry Cokes and we would always stop to bring her one.

rjmachon-The parking lot was gravel for a long time even when Mayer's Auto Body had it. Old Joe Mayer recently passed away, and I noticed that they expanded and modernized the shop. I think they just recently paved the lot. Joey, who is running it now, is a second cousin but I haven't seen him in years even tho I go by the place daily on my way to work.

AD:

Posted by: andrewjohn1317 (209.54.38.---)
Date: April 03, 2015 05:24AM

Thanks,
This is an interesting topic
and iam like a thickness of chocolate

Get FREE Stuff , Products and Coupons http://www.munchkinsandwich.com/free-stuff-USA

AD:

Posted by: andrewjohn1317 (66.187.67.---)
Date: April 08, 2015 06:53AM

having the best ice cream and hot fudge Two other ice cream and candy stores I remember were at 59th and Kedzie by the Colony theatre

AD:

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact