Ice Cream and Candy Shoppes

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ice Cream and Candy Shoppes
Posted by: QOP girl (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 05:07PM

Hi, I remember Gerties right nest to the Colony, with the homemade ice cream, candy and Tummy Busters! And Rainbow Icecream, what a popular but simple idea. Only open in the summer, used to go after my older cousin had baseball games.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 12:02AM

[b]It seems there was a Gerties next to several of the movie houses in the 50's .[/b]

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 08:49AM

The Buffalo on Irving Park Road and Pulaski Avenue is the one I remember. Then they moved to Morton Grove on Dempster Street sometime in the early 1980's. Being that I was a soda jerk at a drug store when I was in my teens, I had my share of ice cream and candy and I didn't go to these places to much.

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 11, 2013 10:52PM

Margie's is still in business. Their sundaes are served in great big seashell-shaped dishes. The hot fudge sauce comes in a little pitcher on the side. The place doesn't look as if anything has ever changed.

AD:

Posted by: ronko1 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 04, 2013 08:49PM

MINOUSO'S 51st & DAMEN USE TO HANG OUT THERE EVEN AFTER GUS & FAM OPEN A RESTAURANT RAN INTO GUS YEARS LATER HE JUST OPEN THE PATIO ON HARLEM AV IN BRIDGVIEW THE FAMILY OWN THE BUSINESS MET A GIRL A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO SAID SHE WORK FOR GUS AT THE PATIO FOR A LONG TIME TOLD ME THAT HE PASS ON SOME YEARS AGO.HOW ABOUT UNIVERSAL CANDYS AT 51st & ASHLAND NEXT TO THE DRUG STORE ON THE CORNER IT ALSO WAS A MALT SHOP USE TO HANG OUT THERE TO MET MY WIFE TO BE SOME 50 YEARS AGO.

AD:

Date: September 04, 2013 09:16PM

[b]Dove went nationwide[/b]bob1060 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My grandparents lived a block away from Dove's on
> Pulaski. Lot of great memories of going there.
>
> Anyone frequent Margie's (?) at
> Armitage/Milwaukee? I keep wanting to stop in and
> see what it is like.

AD:

Date: September 05, 2013 09:16AM

ronko1 Wrote: Sorry to hear Gus passed. I hung with him in the 50's and knew his whole family also.
-------------------------------------------------------
> MINOUSO'S 51st & DAMEN USE TO HANG OUT THERE EVEN
> AFTER GUS & FAM OPEN A RESTAURANT RAN INTO GUS
> YEARS LATER HE JUST OPEN THE PATIO ON HARLEM AV IN
> BRIDGVIEW THE FAMILY OWN THE BUSINESS MET A GIRL A
> COUPLE OF YEARS AGO SAID SHE WORK FOR GUS AT THE
> PATIO FOR A LONG TIME TOLD ME THAT HE PASS ON SOME
> YEARS AGO.HOW ABOUT UNIVERSAL CANDYS AT 51st &
> ASHLAND NEXT TO THE DRUG STORE ON THE CORNER IT
> ALSO WAS A MALT SHOP USE TO HANG OUT THERE TO MET
> MY WIFE TO BE SOME 50 YEARS AGO.

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (75.115.202.---)
Date: October 14, 2013 03:06PM

Pappas on 55th and Halsted. Remember Jimmy Pappas?

AD:

Posted by: Cholly (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2014 02:33PM

I remember going to Kunis' Ice Cream Shoppe on E.79th (I think) back in the 40's and 50's. Their Raspberry sundaes were to die for!

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 03:11PM

Cock Robin was a favorite of mine, it used to be called Prince Castle. They had shops all over the city at one time. Best malts around. Also had square ice cream scoops. Some of the bigger ones served food too, wasn't bad. I remember shops in Niles, Villa Park, Glenview, Naperville, River Grove, and Brookfield.

AD:

Posted by: jd6716 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 12:50AM

Does anyone remember Carr's ice cream at about 60th and Kedzie. Terrific malts-I'm talking 1950's.Across from Gerties was the Pioneer Tavern and a cigar shop on the corner and Jim's coins on the other side.I lived at 58th and Springfield from 1940-1969, Marquette theater 25 cartoons for a quarter. Little eddies for hamburgers, On 60 th and Pulaski there was a record shop NW corner, we would buy our 45's and pickup the top 50 list.Does anyone remember the store. I remember Rex TV.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (107.31.204.---)
Date: March 09, 2015 01:18PM

I worked part time at the public library on 61st and Kedzie . Carrs had broaste chicken that was fantastic, Little eddies had a Super Dog it was a Mary Ann Baking Poppy seed bun, a Tom Tom Tamale split in half with a Vienna Hot dog inside covered wit chili onions tomatoes and cheese wiz. BURP! I don't remember the name of the record store on Pulaski but I do remember Marquette Music on 63rd street about a block west of Kedzie.Does anyone remembner Al's hot dog stand on 63rd and Central Park next to the old grand Trunk RailRoad Depot ?

AD:

Posted by: dkennycpd (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2015 12:55AM

Miss Wissing's was my favorite. 101st and Winston/Vincennes.

AD:

Posted by: southwestside83rd (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2015 02:25AM

Does any one think of Melody Lane on 87th?

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 11:58PM

Living on the Southside (Back of the Yards) candy shopps and ice cream parlors were the places to go after taking your date to the show.

AD:

Posted by: Richie (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 04:55AM

Melody Lane was a great place. Then we got "cool" and went to Skip's down the street or Janson's in Beverly.

AD:

Posted by: hardwareman (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 06:41PM

There was an "Andies Candies" at Belmont & Cicero in the 1960's. I went there for ice cream as a child. It became a Fannie May in the mid 60's. Now it is a currency exchange.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 11:20PM

How about Princes Castle on Cicero Ave.

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2015 11:36AM

Prince Castle became Cock Robin. I remember in the 70's going to the one on Milwaukee Avenue in Niles. Also went to ones in Glenview and VIlla Park. Best malts aroiund, One In A Million!

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: March 24, 2015 12:29PM

I have fond memories of So White, which was on the SE corner of Newcastle and Irving Park Road. I remember it was run by three elderly siblings, two brothers and a sister, and they were wonderfully sweet people. As they aged, and died off one by one, the stand gradually became somewhat run down until the last of them could no longer operate the stand on their own. Mayer's Auto Body eventually bought the land and tore down the stand for additional parking. Also, there was a little candy shop on Addison Street, just east of Oak Park Avenue on what is now a vacant lot. They sold a little bit of everything, and Mrs. Hanko, who ran it, was also a very sweet lady. Later on, someone else bought it and turned it into more of a restaurant, and the old frame building, which was quite old, burned down. I also remember walking with my aunt over to the Tasty Freeze that used to be on Armitage Avenue, somewhere around Keeler. I was a really small kid then, and don't remember exactly where it was.

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact