Ice Cream and Candy Shoppes

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ice Cream and Candy Shoppes
Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2013 11:51AM

Some of my fondest memories as a kid, were going to the movies and stopping afterwards for a malted milk, or hot fudge sundae. Next to the Marquette Theatre
Was CUPID Candies. A row of shiney chrome swivel chairs with red leather seats and quaint tables, 3-4 Soda jerks with white paper hats, white shirts and red ties mixed some of the best frozen delights including my favorite HOT Fudge Banana split with Vanilla,chocolate, and strawberry Ice cream,loaded with whipped cream, from stainless steel dispensers, laced with salted pecan halves, 2 sugar waffers, and a glass pitcher, on the side of Hot Fudge.

In 1986 I worked for Bagcraft Corp. on 42nd and Pulaski.One of our inside sales reps for our Ice cream novelty packaging Division stopped into another of my Favorites, Dove Ice Cream and candies on 60th and Pulaski, and bought one of their hand dipped Ice cream bars. They were made by pouring fresh made Ice Cream into sets of plastic molds, sticks were inserted, they were then frozen, removed
and dipped into the best chocolate you ever tasted, placed into white unprinted, glassine bags, and wer yours for 50 cents. Our Rep decided to take another one of our customers to Dove to try these delicious Bars. He introduced M & M Mars to Dove's Owners, Mr. & Mrs. Stefanos. That was the last time I had a great bar,twice as big as they are now and 3X the thickness of chocolate!

Two other ice cream and candy stores I remember were at 59th and Kedzie by the Colony theatre and one @ 51st. Street and Damen I don't remember the name of the one on Kedzie but I think the one on Damen was GUS's. Someon help with that one

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Ice Cream and Candy Shoppes
Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 12:46PM

59th ahd Kedzie ---- Gertie's

Gertie's is now part of Lindy's Chili:

http://lindyschili.com/

AD:

Date: February 25, 2013 02:01PM

THANKs Daveg ! I drew a blank on that one but remember Now ! Thanks Again !
Great Link Picture is just as I remembered.

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 25, 2013 09:46PM

Being a North sider, I remember Andes Candies in the Lincoln Bank building at Lincoln, Damen, and Irving Park Road. Our family dentist was in the building and my Mom always got my sister and me each a chocolate shake at Andes if we behaved ourselves at the dentist (we always did). The air conditioning was always cold and the shakes were delicious.
There was also the Roscoe Sweet Shop at Roscoe and Damen where the candies were handmade and the shakes were also great. The owner/proprietor was a grumpy looking little guy whom we all, ironically, called Smiley. A nice little neighborhood place, only a memory now.
And, I also recall Ideal Candies on Clark near Belmont. The soda fountain was straight out of the past: polished marble, chromed soda dispensers, and wrought steel chairs. I think this just a memory, too, like the others.
Nice memories, though.

AD:

Posted by: randoymwords (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2013 01:31AM

There's a terazzo remnant of an Andes at Pulaski & Lawrence. Does anyone remember going to that one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randoymwords/5538106021/

AD:

Posted by: bob1060 (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 27, 2013 09:19AM

My grandparents lived a block away from Dove's on Pulaski. Lot of great memories of going there.

Anyone frequent Margie's (?) at Armitage/Milwaukee? I keep wanting to stop in and see what it is like.

AD:

Date: March 04, 2013 01:28PM

HERE's another joint I'm sure someone will remember. Rainbow Cone on 92nd. and Western.. I just so happened to look them up and there will be a grand re-opening this Saturday 3/9/13. First 100 people get a free cone. Check out rainbowcones.com

AD:

Date: March 04, 2013 01:41PM

Haven't been to Rainbow since I lived out that wa. A trip is needed!

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 01:19AM

There was an Andes at Pulaski and Milwaukee just across from the Milford Theater.

I remember my mom treating me to an ice cream confection at Andes called "Lover's Delight." It came in a very tall fluted glass. There were several layers of colored syrup at the bottom with various flavors of ice cream on top.

Also, there was an Andes on one of the corners of Milwaukee, Diversey and Kimball. My friend worked there during high school for approximately $.70/hour. She gave us free ice cream and candy samples.

I think there was Andes just off the Damen, Milwaukee, North intersection.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2013 12:01PM

[b]I worked at Rex TV at 60th and Pulaski acroos the street from Dove at that time and we would ger there bars.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2013 12:04PM

[b]%1st & Damen was Minouso's before Gus took it over as a resturant. I grew up with Gus.[/b]

AD:

Date: March 15, 2013 12:37PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I worked at Rex TV at 60th and Pulaski acroos the
> street from Dove at that time and we would ger
> there bars.

I remember Rex well! It was our go-to spot for anything related to TV stuff.

AD:

Date: March 15, 2013 01:12PM

bob1060
Do you remember Uncle Mitch's Diner @ 61st and Pulaski, or the old Funeral Parlor on the West side of Pulaski; there was a Bar in the front, I remember an old man fishing in the street while it was raining and Pulaski was being Widened. Had to be around 1961 or so. That kinda strayed from the Ice Cream Topic so I will add another The Light House On Ogden & First Ave. Best Custard Ever.

AD:

Date: March 15, 2013 01:32PM

Hugh

I vaguely recall the diner, but I know we never ate there. No recollection at all on the funeral parlor or bar. That is an odd combination! Classic south side! I do recall a bar, maybe, that looked like a lighthouse or something along those lines...west side of street, maybe b/w 63rd & 59th somewhere?

AD:

Date: March 15, 2013 02:11PM

That's the place. Next to it was a side walk to the funeral Parlor, wierd but true.I think the name was Golic's or something like that.

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2013 04:00PM

Another Northside favorite was Colonial Ice Cream, on the SW corner of Southport @ Fullerton.
Kiddie-corner from the huge Milwaukee Road office bldg.

Colonial's address was probably 1401 W. Fullerton. Its been demolished and replaced by a Burger King.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 01:40PM

The place that I remember having the best ice cream and hot fudge was at 55th and Ashland, next to the Boulevard Movie Theater, later becoming the Boulevard Ballroom. To the best of my knowledge, the candy/ice cream shop had no name, at least there was no sign with a name, We simply called it "The Greek's." Since it was right next to the movie theater, maybe its official name was also the Boulevard.

AD:

Date: March 19, 2013 11:20AM

Hugh Manatee Wrote:
> That's the place. Next to it was a side walk to
> the funeral Parlor, wierd but true.I think the
> name was Golic's or something like that.

Ha! All the times we drove past, I had no idea!

AD:

Posted by: hawks24 (144.74.134.---)
Date: March 19, 2013 04:19PM

There was a place at 75th and Cicero. In the Ford City Parking lot.
They were big about singing about birthdays. A very old-time feel. Maybe 30 - 40 years ago.

Can anyone name it?

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2013 08:26PM

hawks24 Wrote:
> There was a place at 75th and Cicero. In the
> Ford City Parking lot.
> They were big about singing about birthdays. A
> very old-time feel. Maybe 30 - 40 years ago.
>
> Can anyone name it?

Farrell's, And it's actually a National franchise.

AD:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact