Past movie theaters
Re: Past movie theaters
Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: December 17, 2014 07:52PM

@mishadoc, wasn't Stinkers Pub on Albion and Sheridan? I think the 400 is still open.

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: June 13, 2015 05:40PM

We spent our saturdays at the Comodore on irving park, the Revue on Elston, The Nita and Dale on Milwaukee near Central park, Dale later changed to the Roundup with all western movies, the Harding and Logan further south on Milwaukee past Kimball, and the Congress even further south. On lawrence we went to the Lawerence east of Kimball and the Metro right across the street with the backward screen. You walked in on the screen end of the theatre and went up the aisles. This is an OLD post topic but i just ran into it now.

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: June 13, 2015 06:26PM

there was also the MARS theatre (a.k.a. LOGAN SQUARE), and in the early-to-mid '60s I remember the tall vertical MARS signage although the theatre by that time was closed, and this was a half block south on Milwaukee Ave from Logan Blvd (west side of street). It was as big as the Harding theatre judging by outward appearances.

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: June 15, 2015 12:08AM

Does anyone remember back in the 50's when they use to bring in a patient inside the "IRON LUNG"and show goers would donate money to find a cure for lung disease etc.

Date: June 15, 2015 03:09PM

the wanted you to donate nickels, didn't they? that's all I can remember from then about it (I wish I could remember which theatre(s) I encountered the iron lung at, it was a neighborhood one)

Date: June 15, 2015 05:50PM

The Southtown on Halsted

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: June 15, 2015 08:29PM

If i remember correctly, it was the Logan that changed its name to the Mars. My theatre days were the 40s and 50s. I do remember that the Roundup which showed only cowboy movies used to have a place to check your cap guns near the concession counter. They were not allowed in the theater.

Date: June 16, 2015 12:05AM

One of the best movie houses when we were growing up in the 50's was the DUMPS.
It was actually called the Cornell Theater but everyone called it the Dumps. It was a dump. It was located in the Back of the Yards area 51st and Wood Street. Every Saturday morning every kid in the neighborhood would go to see the cartoons. A place that we could walk to for a fun morning. They had air blown popcorn machines for 10 cents a bag. Red pull back drapes or curtains for doors. An organ player in the back of the theater. Toilets running over, cats walking around probably to catch the mice. These were the good old days.

Date: June 16, 2015 11:20AM

the LOGAN theatre is and always was the LOGAN, but a block or so east (or do you say south?) on Milwaukee was the LOGAN SQUARE theatre (building gone since the '60s) that had changed its name to the MARS in later years, I imagine to eliminate confusion with its nearby similarly-named competition

the bldg. that was the ROUND-UP theatre was torn down only about 5 or so years ago (you could still recognize it's original purpose from the exterior). the building that once housed the NITA theatre still stands today but to me is unrecognizeable as such

Posted by: skj ()
Date: June 16, 2015 10:54PM

The SouthTown, beautiful structure, now demolished. The Englewood, the Marquette and the Colony.

Date: June 17, 2015 12:03AM

The Colony, Marquette and the Hi Way were all owned by the same family. My brother Roger worked for the The Colony during high school.

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: June 17, 2015 10:05PM

More on the Mars Theater from Cinema Treasures.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/4262

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2015 03:27AM

The movie theatre on Belmont just east of Cicero would have been the Luna. I always thought the strangest name for a theatre was the Bugg.
I was an usher at the BelPark on Cicero.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact